1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Thanks guys. I'll be back to ask how to size CPs in a couple years or so.

2. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

OL is often very good for the money, but they have been raising their prices as well...Guess they are aiming for the middle-upper section.

Doesn't this make you tired of fashion brands though? I mean you can get so good stuff from more trad or workwear brands if you are selective. Got some heavy black brushed moleskin pants last winter from a german maker (Hiltl) for around 170 euro in a slimmish cut. That fabric and construction level would easily be another 100 euros or more from say Howell or EG.

(still love Howell).

2 people like this.
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would say that there is very little or any actual workwear and trad brand clothing that match "fashion" brands in terms of materials and treatments. I love custom made belts, for example, but a lot of the interesting leather treatment that say, Guidi uses, traditional beltmakers will not tough and traditional tanneries will not either.

4. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Completely agree of course that you will not get Guidi -like leathers from trad brands, but if you are getting say EG (which was the example discussed), or Howell, or similar, I´ll argue that you often (but not always of course, fashion brands obviously are wilder) get as good/better quality,great fabrics and so on for a fraction of the price. For example, you can get great slim cotton chinos and moleskin trousers from English makers that would go seamlessly with EG.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think that outside of treatments and materials, while you can certainly get straight up workwear that can go seamlessly with, say, Engineered Garments, there is an element of experimentation or something that typically goes missing. For example, just thinking about what I am looking for right now, you don't get the same types of details on actual workwear pants (like cinches at the ankle, or articulation at the knees, or snap button flap pockets) that are taken from activewear or military gear, but then applied to a garment in workwear materials, that you can get in "fashion" brands. Designers do bring some innovation and a spirit of exploration to clothing.

That said, yes, I agree that you can find clothes that "go" with whatever fashion pieces you have. Sometimes that's pretty fun.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Do you really need specific bottoms for the plane? I go from jeans to slacks to sweatpants without any substantial impact. I think there is a tendency in certain consumer "styles" to overemphasize the technical needs of their relatively technical needs free everyday life.

The W&H look like some sort of military sweatpants sensible wear for "creative" (LOL) workers who refer to themselves as "coffee-snobs". Second ones are military/outdoor and ok I guess.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    5 people like this.
  7. hayaoyamaneko

hayaoyamaneko Senior member

What are some good brands for oversized turtlenecks?

Can I get something similar from traditional knit makers like Inverallan/Inis Meain/John Smedley/etc. by sizing up or will it just look silly?

Doesn't have to be current season!

8. sipang

sipang Senior member

It's true that the non-fashion stuff is more straightforward and duller but to me it just means it's up to the wearer to bring that element of experimentation to the outfit with pairings, volumes, fabrics etc. I find it way more entertaining these days, pretty burnt on fashion brands tbh.

2 people like this.
  9. John L

John L Well-Known Member

Picked up an A&F/Woolrich collab at the local Woolrich Outlet -- which is in, notably, Woolrich.

I got a cotton flannel with Woolrich fabric and A&F cut for $25 (about as much as I'd want to pay for something like this).

Aaron Levine did a good job with A&F.

It's not magically going to stop being a mall brand but it's less ostentatious.

When you're not catering to the 1%, having excessive branding can really be a turn off if you're not riding the current middle american wave of desirable.

10. habitant

habitant Senior member

I was browsing A Kind of Guise's website and they actually get traditional German makers to make their stuff and then mark it up 200%. Their shoes are made by Haco, but from them it's 200 euro more than from the factory itself. I guess Junya has been doing this for an eternity though.

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

That's the thing that gets me. Like I was looking at Visvim, and there were these sweaters that were made by some brand in Scotland or whatever. You know, traditional methods, signed by the knitter, etc. The usual for handmade artisan knitwear. It even had the brand tag right below Visvim.

But the Vis sweater was like $4000. I'd LOVE for that to go to Susie who knitted it, but of course it's not like that (nor really should it be like that... it's complicated). It's a strange feeling when a brand you like uses a traditional maker and then marks it up. On one hand we appreciate the way stuff is traditionally made, on the other, is it really worth the mark-up then? Is the brand name and 1 treatment really worth an insane mark-up?

12. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

@habitant you mean their Derby/Halbschue ? Yes, super traditional. On the topic, I have two pairs of these meindls that are great quality for say half the price
    [​IMG]

Yes, I remember the Le Lab. Junya. And someone in the paul hardnen thread showed that he was selling exact william lennon shoes for an insane markup..

13. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior member

The Haco shoes are cool, but preliminary googling doesn't make them look very easy to find anywhere (online at least)

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I feel like it's easier to rely on "trad" brands for simple things like shirts, pants, and maybe even shoes. But it's hard to get anything interesting in outerwear outside of chore coats, milsurp, or whatever. Even knitwear can be tough unless you're talking about CM styles.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

if you mean the Derby shoe there are a bunch of german and swiss/austrian makers making basically the same shoe. Like trabert, bertl, meindl, and more I forget.

16. g transistor

Fuck brands who make shitty enamel pins and charge $30 for ONE pin. And no, saying that it's cloisonne and traditional blah blah blah doesn't warrant shit. Pins are all MiC anyways

17. dieworkwear

You can buy this $500 music note pin from SLP and show how creative you are

(30% off right now too)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. g transistor

Oh my god I was mostly complaining because I like The Hillside's ramen pin. I didn't even think about brands like SLP

19. dieworkwear

Cheaper ramen pin: Pintrill for $12. 20% off with the code BF20. Prob expires today though.

http://www.pintrill.com/products/noodle-bowl-pin

20. habitant

habitant Senior member

How far away are we from Visvim collaborating with a traditional Dutch wooden shoe maker? Could even go three ways with a native artist and paint Haida designs on them. Sell at $1999