1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Nonnative has always been super overpriced over here. It's almost always cheaper for me to import from Japan, but even so, $400 for the nonnative shirt is crazy.

But yeah, I don't know, everything seems to be getting more expensive, even some used gear. There was a while where I could get a ton of lightly used Visvim pretty easily for cheap, but now prices even on YJPN are high (and I'm not talking about the exchange rate, just general prices).

I was looking at Blue Blue Japan on Mr Porter, and the cotton sashiko coverall thing is $800+ there... I bought one late last year for $350 during one of the 30% off sales and it's essentially the same piece.

I kinda stopped buying clothes for a while and just wore shitty outdoor brands because I was working outside on the farms a lot this past year, but looking around now, prices are crazy and I just can't find any good used stuff either. Part of me wishes it was still 09-10 where I could be mad about $150 Band of Outsiders shirts, but that price is like cheap for every fucking shirting/menswear/casualshit start-up brand these days

I feel like the best purchase I've made in a really long time has been these extra warm Uniqlo Heattech shirts

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. habitant

habitant Senior member

Maybe we've hit the ceiling and prices will come down. A 100% increase in EG prices in 5 years is also crazy.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I dunno about all of that. The designer brands have become increasingly expensive as the middle market took their original place in the market, and they raised prices to differentiate, and found that people were plenty willing to pay them.

EG is playing at the higher end of that sub-designer market now...

1 person likes this.
  4. LA Guy

it's the import duties for anything coming from Japan, plus the different pricing and markdown structure of US vs. Japanese retail.

5. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Never thought I'd ask this question SF, so apologies in advance. If I'm a 9 in Chucks, 9.5-10 in Stans, what size am I in Gats?

1 person likes this.
  6. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

Nonnative prices are insane for new pieces. Even if you proxied or used a jp website. I think maybe base prices go up because they need to factor for deeper discounts that everyone waits for... but then again a lot of stuff still sells out at retail

7. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I'm an 8.5 in chucks, 42 in GATs.

1 person likes this.
  8. LA Guy

I am a 10-10.5 in chucks, and and a 44 in GATs. You could do either a 42 or 43, depending on how tight you like your shoes. I would always opt for the slightly larger size, since too small shoes are torture. And Margiela GATs are not the big in any dimension.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior member

Would one size Margiela boots the same as GATs?

10. g transistor

EG prices keep getting higher and higher. I get that there are a lot of things that go into pricing, but I don't know, makes me feel like I'm getting hustled.

I wish I was better at branching out into other brands. I pretty much wear like 4 brands for most of my stuff, and have some weird psychological barrier to buying things from brands I'm unfamiliar with. It's stupid.

1 person likes this.
  11. LA Guy

I feel that Engineered Garments may be one of the more honestly priced brands. The way I look at that is the price of the accessories. Their scarves, for example, are priced at under $100, consistently. If they were pricing completely to the market, they accessories would be more expensive. I expect that a lot of the prices may have a lot to do with who makes any individual piece.

12. msg

msg Senior member

I size down one for boots

13. habitant

habitant Senior member

The overall quality of the garments is going down too. Cheaper fabrics and construction.

14. g transistor

I haven't had any problems with anything so far, except for this long denim shirt I got from last season. Stitching busting all over the place, buttonholes unraveling, that shirt is a disaster, luckily I'm pretty handy with a needle.

I think EG SS stuff feels flimsy, but have been pretty impressed with a lot of the FW stuff. What have you had problems with?

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

and here I thought you were living the post-fashun dream

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

I don';t know about cheaper fabrics - but the brand has definitely been stepping away from the heavy fabrics that characterized their early days, and the garments have definitely been getting more fitted. I am a straight up 40, and their medium used to be the right size or large on me. I have an engineer's jacket from FW05 that feels bombproof. Not so much the stuff from recent seasons.

17. g transistor

I was for a little bit. There was a moment...

At one point, I had 15 varieties growing, about 75% heirloom varieties from all around the world. We're talking classic Black Krims and Cherokee Purples, yellow Brandywines, Hungarian Hearts and Black Cherries, man, I tell you, I was a tomatillionaire.

I walked into bamboo forests and harvested hundreds of yards of thick bamboo to build t-string trellises, engineering some natural bullshit with strings and pulleys so that as the plants got taller and taller, I could let the line go slack to bring down the fruits from the top. I pruned carefully, mulched diligently, and hand-picked hornworms off each plant as if I were a starving winter robin.

I was out there in the 100 degree southern summers, sweating my fuckin' nuts off. There was no fashion out there, man. This was a land of honesty, and the only discount code came in the form of of a shovel and some blisters. Of course, I accessorized with one or two Kapital bandanas (I am no barbarian, even I can appreciate true Japanese crafstmanship), soaking them in cold water to keep myself from overheating. I had a few chambray and linen Swedish brand shirts that I had worn for a couple seasons, now stained with compost and dirt, salted nicely from my sweat, torn and patched endlessly, faded from a cool sky blue to a pale-grey-ish sickness. A too-floppy straw Engineered Garments hat kept the sun off my head, and a pair of beat up 5 yr old kudu Virgils kept me firmly planted on the earth.

I was living the post-fashun Hiroki-Suzuki wet dream, man.

Then the rains came. And the heat got worse. And the humidity never left. Slowly my plants died to disease and swarms of pests that I couldn't keep up with.

As the season came to a close, I said, fuck this, growing tomatoes outside in The South is bullshit. I don't care if that's how Nakamura-san would grow tomatoes. I don't give a shit if Suzuki-sensei would shake his head and turn his back. Let the hornworms eat it my heirloom treasures. The heat makes them taste like shit anyways.

I looked at my brown, dead forest of once lush and fragrant vines. I wept, man, I wept for a long time. I cursed the skies. I wondered why anyone ever tried to do anything at all. I wondered if traditional methods were really worth it, and if this is always our fate. I wondered if this was really our legacy.

I walked inside. Took a shower. Scrubbed my nails. Sat down and powered up my computer, the flickering of the screen so unnatural and yet so familiar. I opened up J.Crew.com and ordered a JCrew in Good Company Miansai bracelet. You know the one, the one that's red and blue with the fuckin anchor. Fashion.

Fashion never changes.

50 people like this.
  18. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

10/10

1 person likes this.
  19. habitant

habitant Senior member

Specifically SS fatigues. I have the navy high count ones from this spring and they're faded as hell. The fabric is also very insubstantial to the point of feeling cheap. OLs cotton/linen trousers from the same season feel a lot more Lux at 30% less money.

20. g transistor

Yeah, SS stuff always lets me down. At least some of the FW stuff still uses a lot of the heavier fabrics that Fok mentioned.

I'll check out OL trousers, there's a bunch of stuff from them that I like but I have never really gotten it to look right on me.