• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On a related note: is there anything particularly more damaging about imagining an indigo garbed Japanese dude with a topknot dipping something endless times and then having a tea than there is about imagining an Italian tailor working at his sartoria, and then having an espresso while watching the sun set over the Amalfi Coast?

Maybe this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)? :p

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)?
tongue.gif
Alladin was an excellent movie.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Isn't it iron oxide dyeing and not plain Rit dye? I dunno, but in some perhaps dumb way, that adds something for me.

Probably shouldn't have compared it to RIT dye. What I mean is, whether it's different from the professional processes offered here. I have no idea about the history of black dyes in Kyoto. Maybe there's some crazy, amazing history behind it. If so, then maybe this is actually great?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably shouldn't have compared it to RIT dye. What I mean is, whether it's different from the professional processes offered here. I have no idea about the history of black dyes in Kyoto. Maybe there's some crazy, amazing history behind it. If so, then maybe this is actually great?
So, yes, there is a history to "Kyoto black", though I have no idea how much of it is a modern, manufactured, narrative, since I really don't know much about Japanese culture or Japanese textile history.

There are dye houses in California that offer similar "blackest black" treatments, purportedly using the same techniques.

Both are very deep blacks. though I've never compared them side-by-side, so I'm not really qualified to comment.

I'm not sure that "whether it's different from the professional processe offered here" is really a great criterion for deciding on the merits. If we are going to determine where things ought to be made using a combination of cost effectiveness and technical competence, then most things should be made in China.

Wait a minute...
foo.gif

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Kyoto black article, gonna send something to 'em and try it out haha

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel the opposite

My jeans wore through in the crotch and I haven't bothered having them patched up for like 2 months now.
Trousers/shorts are just so much better most of the time :satisfied:

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trousers>>>>jeans
even leaving the look aside, i put on one of my 10 pairs of apcs the other day and couldn't believe how uncomfortable they were. how the hell did i used to live in those things

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always felt APC denim in particular has a less comfortable hand to it than other raws i've owned, even after breaking in. I still like denim but I'm not ever buying/wearing APCs again.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
lol.. jk.

But seriously, keep up.  We're moving at blazing speeds here.

Time to move everything to a new "is it worth it to send things to Japan to dye them black" thread?
lol.. jk.

I love wearing jeans, all other types of pants are inferior

+1. Approximately zero % of trousers have as much character as my ultra-slubby 50% sugarcane SE X SC 06s..

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the selling market over saturated? Paradox of choice? Even though it's seemingly consolidated in grilled, I notice lots of stuff that's cool just sitting there unsold; is grilled basically like Pinterest but with a nominal ability to buy? Everyone is just collecting likes on their stuff for sale, fewer transactions. I wonder if the grilled model of having stuff for sale without a time limit on the sale decreases purchases, all the would be ballers don't actually buy because there's no time pressure.

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the problem is that you are forced to drop the price in order to keep it at the top of the line, so people like/add it to the wardrobe and then just wait until it's bottom dollar.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the problem is that you are forced to drop the price in order to keep it at the top of the line, so people like/add it to the wardrobe and then just wait until it's bottom dollar.

Along with this, the fact that you have to drop price to get it back to the top leads to people inflating prices, building in 2-3 drops before eventually receiving a just-slightly-higher-than-lowball offer that's grudgingly accepted because it's been 3 months since the item in question was listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics