• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Most super successful Silicon stuff is silly and can only be explained by our cultural decadence. Economics can rarely explain success in the economic field, cultural shifts can.

But what they are essentially asking for is investment in a real estate project/concept and those kind of investor are all occupancy rates, turn over, IRR.

The concept is essentially Soho with more rooms and less ostentatious, which is very easy to replicate by people with money and experience in the field. So why add an inexperienced startup as a middle man.

They are looking for 3.5 million to setup in London and BA. 3.5 gets you nothing in London. A conservative estimate is that they will need 30-50k sq.ft., which is $500+ a foot plus refurbishment in London.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some cool video features on Blackmeans

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

And one on how to distress a leather jacket

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.masterdynamic.com

Do want. :cool:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is he ironing the jacket? Is he melting some oil/wax into it??

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Why is he ironing the jacket? Is he melting some oil/wax into it??

Just a guess, but maybe it helps dull and dry out the leather? Vintage leather jackets are sometimes a bit wavy along the seams and the leather has a kind of variegated color (especially if it's tea core, where the underlaying color is different from the top layer).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two Als debate Vetements at Highsnobiety

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/05/09/explaining-vetements/

Aleks: Well first off, why are people going so mad about it? Because from where I’m sitting, they’re charging Givenchy prices for ill-fitting Slipknot concert merchandise. No one ever thought mall goth was a cool look a year ago. Why now?

Aleks: It’s ugly clothing. And I completely understand that taste is subjective and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are certain objective underpinnings that can’t be denied. You’ve said that weird, exaggerated cuts show that someone is “into ​*proper*​ fashion” but human beings are instinctively attracted to symmetry and proportion. Classical architecture is built upon the same geometric principles that make it instinctively appealing.

Vetements opts for forced ugliness simply to set itself apart from the crowd. It relies on repulsing mainstream tastes to create a feeling of exclusivity, an illusion that ordinary people “don’t get it.” And it’s not that people don’t get it, it’s just ugly clothing. It’s not avant-garde, because it’s reactionary and contrarian and ultimately defined by the mainstream. Can you honestly say, hand on heart, that the brand’s clothing looks good to you?

Alec: Well of course it doesn’t conform to conventional ideals of what clothing should look like but that’s not what fashion is about. Tons of designers have been inspired by ugliness, it’s nothing unique to Vetements – rejecting traditional standards of beauty has always been part of the conversation fashion has with pop culture. There’s tons of amazing musicians who deliberately defy traditional notions of harmony, time signatures and the like – other things that human beings are instinctively attracted to. Ever listened to the Dillinger Escape Plan?

Alec: It’s funny that you say “what’s wrong with fashion,” because to a lot of people Vetements is really challenging the industry’s problems. All the big luxury houses are trying to reinvent themselves each season and trying to hit all the right trends at the same time, whereas Vetements is really just approaching things from a product designer’s perspective, making clothes instead of grand theatrical concepts. A lot of people are connecting with that. They’re doing streetwear, essentially, but streetwear that’s elevated for the high-fashion crowd. At the end of the day, that’s the sort of stuff that people are going to really want to wear rather than some weird, avant-garde concept piece.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno for men, gf has a lot of Zara stuff including some leathers and leather pants. A pretty decent camel overcoat. Not bad TBH.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know anything about Dillinger Escape Plan specifically but Math rock definitely is not ugly music let alone deliberately ugly. I agree that Vetements designs are ugly but I just thought that was due to a lack of talent and eye as opposed to calculated art. And if everyone agrees that their **** is ugly then there's not much more to talk about.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't know anything about Dillinger Escape Plan specifically but Math rock definitely is not ugly music let alone deliberately ugly. I agree that Vetements designs are ugly but I just thought that was due to a lack of talent and eye as opposed to calculated art. And if everyone agrees that their **** is ugly then there's not much more to talk about.

A lot of postmodern art tries to redefine beauty. Or at least expand it beyond its classical definition. I think it's fine to say Vetement's clothes are ugly, but to hang the argument on symmetry seems silly. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone nowadays with strictly classical tastes in art, fashion, music, etc. If the guy pressed a little harder, he could probably find a place where that guy likes stuff that isn't classical.

The argument about hype and novelty were OK, but you could peg that on anything in fashion at the height of its popularity. There's no reason to hate Vetements in particular for it. Unless you just want to say you hate overhyped things in general.

I know I keep coming back to this, but this again just seems like two people with two different sets of values talking past each other. One guy has a very pragmatic sensibility when it comes to clothes. He just wants to look good at the office, on dates, on vacation, etc. The other guy is a little more interested in concepts and ideas. If ideas don't interest you, then a lot of this stuff is going to look stupid.

Not necessarily saying I like Vetements one way or the other, but to even have a discussion, two people have to agree on those terms. How do they see clothes and what do they value (practical use, concepts, artisanal merit, etc).

Last edited:

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by symmetry? As in the analogy of Vetements is to ugly/experiment as math rock is to rock?

While I agree that "classical taste" is irrelevant, there will always be conservative taste in art that does not reference the classical, I believe most of this forum are conservative in taste as most fashion hobbyists should be, as I believe that I shouldn't wear ugly and overpriced clothes to help some designer make a point while I look like **** myself. And in my limited recollection of post 1900s art, I can't think of anything, no matter how deliberately ugly it seemed, that displayed no craft, and nothing that revealed the piece as a product of skill and thought, as compared to a Titanic vetements shirt, which I could buy from a gift shop.

In my personal opinion I think everyone should be be more conservative in artistic taste, especially in fashion, so trends like vetements can't steal our money.

Edit: And also, the type of ugly Vetements tries to go for, from my impression, is not aesthetically ugly, but ugly in reference to lowbrow, as in the slipknot and DHL shirt. I would be more understanding if they were actual artists instead of fashion designers, but since they are designers and are selling ready to wear, and fashion is much more practical than gallery art, I think it's atrocious that people are paying $500 for a DHL shirt.

Edit edit: I'm trying to approach this from your perspective. Not all that is avant-garde is necessarily good. Most of it is terrible.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of international self-sovereigns:

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-festival-burning-man-tech-elite-eric-schmidt

This sounds like the worst party or the wierdest conference of all time.  Yes, complaing that Burning Man has become overly commercialized is lame, lost its "original meaning", etc,, is lame, but this is much, much, lamer.

I wonder if Further future has a lesbian orgy tent.

Wow, FF looks pretty awful. The lineup sounded good though.

Im going to my first burn this year.
Need some recommendations for cheap desert wizard gear. Where to look/kop for that damir doma fw10 / sith lord vibe ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics