1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Senior member

@hennree yup, that's the one.

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

[​IMG]

Wearing sweater+pants today. Just found this pic and remembered it was a runway look.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    2 people like this.
  3. troika

troika Senior member

Hitting up Edinburgh in Dec for about 4 days, anyone have any recs?

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Don't think sweater + pants is just a runway look.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Consarnit all, I really want to not want a pair of these, but this is really making me want a pair of these.

I think extreme tapirs are awesome.

[​IMG]

The JBs I have are almost pushing it in terms of the leg opening, though. 6.5" leg opening vs. size 12 foot with a high instep is not always a pleasant matchup.

...and now I just feel totally shitty about owning this jacket. :embar:

Serious question: What NGO is leading the fight against sweatshops? The best result I came up with was the International Labor Rights Forum.

It looks like they focus more on the garment and food industries. Anybody else out there doing comparable work / more deserving of donor dollars? A quick search yields Clean Clothes Campaign (EU), No Sweat (UK), and Fair Wear Foundation.

6. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Active Member

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

best costume so far on my block tonight: Winged Victory of Samothrice (sp?_)
    runner up: 1910s suffragette

p.s these are kids. there is still hope for the future
    pp.s I am also driinnking wine and online shopping

12 people like this.
  8. e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5 Senior member

speaking of items made in sweatshops, i need a new phone.. what should i get? had a nexus 4 then a nexus 5, they were okay. need a GOOD camera, though.

9. msg

msg Senior member

IPhone 7s, iPhone 7 or pixel xl.

10. minho

minho Well-Known Member

No headphone jack is something to consider seriously if you don't use bluetooth headphones/listen to things a lot. My girlfriend likes to listen to podcasts with headphones while she falls asleep, and now she has to be a lot more careful about her battery usage before nighttime otherwise she can't.

She's planning on trading her 7 with her mom's 6s when she goes home later.

11. minho

minho Well-Known Member

Also, does anyone know why size S is so large?

Wikipedia shows the average male height in the US as 5'9". I'm 5'8", and while looking for leather jackets (which I still am btw, hmu if you have an XS black DR you want to sell), I am pretty much limited exclusively to size XS, with S occasionally fitting me.

Is an inch below average already labeled as XS? What gives?

12. flowcharts

flowcharts Senior member

S7 is good, but oversaturates

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The average weight of an American man is 196 lbs.

If you are 5'9" and 196, you are a large in American sizes. I mean, hell, I am 5'11" and vary between 173-176, with a 40" chest, and I generally wear a medium. If you are able to fit into an XS, you are probably in the 10th percentile weight-wise.

14. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

ENCOURAGING EVERYONE TO PARTICIPATE

in this week's CM* Friday Challenge

Friday Challenge Nov 4th: Your Establishing Shot

*suit & tie not required. I realize this is a shorter timeline than most of the SW&D challenges but hopefully still enough time for people to put some ideas together.

15. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

I'm having this issue too, especially with sleeve lengths on knitwear and pullovers of any kind. Being short while having short arms doesn't help.

Button-up shirts are easy to deal with but I suspect that I can't alter a sweatshirt or a long-sleeve t-shirt in the same way without it looking terrible, if at all. I think knits can have their sleeves altered depending on the construction but I don't remember where I read that.

A lot of brands' pullovers don't work for me as a result, such as OAMC, Wings + Horns and A.P.C.

16. minho

minho Well-Known Member

Ah I didn't consider weight since sleeve and torso length were my primary concerns. How do 5'9" 196 lb people find jackets that fit them as far as length goes? That's about a 23-24 inch sleeve (I'm guessing? I'm about a 23 inch sleeve), and that's usually a size S.

17. skriefal

skriefal Senior member

Hmm. At 5'10"-11" and 155lbs, it's no wonder that I have so much trouble finding shirts that fit. Even "small"s are often too big now -- this was less of a problem before the vanity sizing craze set in. Now a "small" size seems to be small-length sleeves (too short for me) with the rest of the shirt often sized to fit what would once have been considered a large-sized stomach (too big for me).

18. LA Guy

American mall brands? And also, trational brands. There was a store in Cambridge that I used to go to a lot "Irish Imports". Great stuff, except that nearly all the sweaters had short arms and wide, but shorter, bodies.

So, back in the day, I was exactly that size, and I always wore a M in European sizes, and a lot of those are even pretty fitted. I think that you just have to choose your brands. I found that at that height and weight, I fit into European sample sizes. Now, I fit into American sample sizes. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

If you need a long sleeve, try stuff by Costume National. The sleeves are seriously long. I always used to have to get jacket sleeves tailored at least 1", and often more. And I have long arms (measured out at 75" last time I was measured).

19. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Hey fellas,

Sorry to throw the question in here.

I saw some guy wearing a sick cropped black bomber. The cinching bottom( don't know how to explain this part), was larger than your average.

There was a logo on the back of his neck, looks like a circle symbol, maybe with some japanese writing in or around it.

Does anyone know what brand this is?

Thanks

20. LA Guy

So, bomber with a wider than normal hem, and a circle symbol. What was the rest of his outfit like? That sometimes gives a clue as to the brand. Can you draw the symbol?