1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Just a few more days. A preview wouldn't be a preview of there weren't some cool secret stuff there as well...

2. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

I'm actually surprised they aren't more accurate than that?

3. jet

jet Senior member

sup gaiz

20 people like this.
  4. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Crosspost from the Artisanal thread

Got this Arts&Science jacket for my wife. VERY VERY similar to the Archivio piece from this season, I believe it's the same fabric - "french moleskin," which I dunno is an actual thing. Anyone know more about this fabric? Or the "Le Gaulois" tag?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Yes that's French Moleskin - same fabric Hervier and Le Labourer use. It's a densely woven cotton. English Moleskin is sheared to give the fluffy texture, but French (and German) moleskin is left unsheared.

2 people like this.
  6. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Cheers, thanks for the info! Any links for a mens version? I do love the dense, silky cotton, but didn't want to pay $1000 for the Archivio version

edit: I could probably start by looking at the brands you mentioned, Le Labourer looks nice!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  7. js0930

js0930 Senior member

8. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

James Grose is just another Lewis Leathers rip-off/replica brand right? How many of those we need since we have Undercover, Addict Clothing

9. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

You might be slightly biased because you live in Japan though, where those are more readily available.

10. msg

msg Senior member

Taken out of context this statement has the potential to describe so many things that are fantastic, which I'm sure is how it was intended

1 person likes this.
  11. msg

msg Senior member

Ehhh...seems like lazy reductionism, arguing that nothing new is interesting because it might superficially resemble something that came before.

Maybe wait to condemn until there's more than just a small photo

12. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

That SF's favorite brands article made me think someone should make a guide for people who are new to dating "fashion" people for how to undress their date.

There's the techwear apocalypse guys: "Careful not to get caught in the spider's web of straps as you make your way through the onion's layers."

There's the EG guys or the Geller long shirt guys: "Go for the tops first. You don't wanna imagine chicken legs poking out of a long pajama with a vest over it, do you?"

The leather and denim bros: "Maybe have him do it himself ahead of time. It's gonna a potential suicide jacket situation trying to deal with 32oz weight fabrics and leathers once already in bed."

5 people like this.
  13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

James Grose has three or four leather designs, all of which are LL replicas or pretty close at least:

http://www.arknets.co.jp/category/ABC_1161/

Nothing wrong with it, but seems like a crowded field.

14. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

More options is pretty much always a good thing in fashion

15. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Meanwhile, you're buying Arts & Science which is a private label brand that copies other brands they carry and sells them for lower prices.

16. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

And I buy Bergfabel, which is pretty much a straight-up PH rip-off. This isn't a moral judgement, just talkin'

Curious, though, what is Arts+Science ripping off? The only mens stuff they carry I know offhand is MA+, Bergfabel, maybe Casey Casey, and shoes like Guidi, M Moria. Closest similarity there is maybe Casey Casey?

17. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Is this serious? Cafe racer and DR... those are classic shapes for motorcycle style leathers - LL is one of the brands out there, but saying that anyone who makes DRs and cafe racers are making replicas of LL is quite the stretch.

The JG guys take their project seriously, they employ local leather workers in East London, did not move the production to cheaper areas. They use a limited range of very carefully selected leathers - those who saw the horsehide in person understand how much more pleasant these will be to wear than the stiff stuff that can often be found out there. The designs are simple and somewhat predictable but the fit is good, the product is honest and the value is there.

Surprisingly, it is not a crowded field at all. There are a lot of fashion brands who have leather outsourced, but there aren't a lot of good quality, not SLP-priced modern leathers out there. As the success of TOJ can attest

5 people like this.
  18. MaiLam

MaiLam Senior member

Some time spent browsing Zozotown and I'm now left with much higher expectations for how close to my mouth consumable goods can be stored (I would go full Regis on Remi Relief):

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I usually am not a huge fan of the stylings on SSENSE but this looked super cool:

[​IMG]

I would probably only attempt it with loose slightly dropped pants (already top heavy as it is) but still, i like the gestalt

1 person likes this.
  20. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Again, not debating the stuff is nice - it's definitely up there with Addict Clothes in terms of quality, and unlike LL the custom orders don't take years, which is nice, but the jackets are LL inspired, as opposed to a modern take on a DR or inspired by other leather jacket makers, right down to the default red lining, same brand of zippers, same brand of buckles, same source for the cowhide, etc. The brand is marketed as such, I didn't even realize this was up for debate.

I'm a fan of LL-style jackets, and the tan Sueude Ricarde is definitely on my radar. I just wish the custom orders let me get rid of the buckles, which I'm not a huge fan of.

The Manila is basically a Lighting with the zippers moved:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Ricarde is a Super Monaza without the bottom, uh, placket? Or whatever that thing is called. I don't think it's a placket.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Etc. etc.