1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

You ride a scooter, the deluded man's Segway so you need all the reputation boost you can get...

2 people like this.
  2. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Ok so a community of peers with very targeted brand paid/straightforward penetration might influence you. Once again, would it be worth it for a brand to start paying synthese to secretely wear their offerings, would it work?

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's not a deluded man's Segway.

It's a clumsy man's skateboard.

1 person likes this.
  4. LA Guy

Synth only wishes he got free loot.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Sorry, read about 20articles about Segway's failure lately, was hilarious.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Have you really never bought something because a musician or actor you liked wore it? Like, even as a teen?

Actually almost wore my five zip today. Bought that shortly after our dinner years ago.

I wonder how many people have been affected by the inFoo-encer? :foo:

7. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

Hmmmmm... I'd say synth has sold more than a few TOJ jackets (not that he was paid lol)

8. APK

APK Senior member

Probably going to be parting with pretty much any SF-approved thing I have in my closet, including some of those good ol' baller knits, some jackets, and a ridiculous pair of burgundy Ann D boots I never put against the pavement. I eagerly await months of private messages that never move past the low-ball offer or "claim then ghost" phase of selling clothes on here. :D

9. accordion

accordion Senior member

Alison Mosshart?

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

11. LA Guy

Flannel shirts because Kurt Cobain.

Leather jackets because young Mick Jagger.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Once again, I'm a total whore for that and love totalizing ideas about looks, I've probably read this book 8-10 times:

https://www.amazon.com/Please-Kill-Me-Uncensored-History/dp/0802142648

I wore Repetto zizi because of Gainsbourg, etc etc. I fail to see how an influence made me buy something out of a marketing strategy or how it would work nowadays (in the current environment) though. I think the conclusions that it works are really fuzzy.

Iggy has and still makes me get unfortunate haircuts, that has to count for something, right?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    3 people like this.
  13. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

It was "inspired by"; Turrell had no involvement (and kind of hilariously even made a statement to that effect: http://www.stereogum.com/1838995/ja...tement-about-drakes-hotline-bling-video/news/).

Self-reports of what one is influenced by tend to be pretty unreliable! People ascribe more independence to themselves than they exhibit.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Amusingly enough this is also a flaw in marketer's thinking: how many books have been published on how the new generation was too aware of marketing to be influenced by it, like these two things were linked (they aren't).

15. dieworkwear

It's really the same thing though.

All influencer marketing is a business strategy to move into spaces that have traditionally affected people's consumer behavior.

The classic example is Hollywood red carpet, where stars used to wear their own clothes, but now borrow stuff on loan from brands who want publicity. I don't think that stuff is that relevant for menswear, but the dynamic is the same. Companies have taken the avenues where people have taken cues on how to dress and commercialized it -- paying people to wear stuff, doing partnerships, etc.

There's still "influencer marketing" that's a bit more honest -- people wearing or promoting stuff because they believe in it. I'd like to see a professionalization of ethics where that happens more, and the kind of advertoria/ shillingl stuff is God awful, but if we're just talking about the dynamic of how the process works, it's been around for over a hundred years. It's just that it's now much more part of business strategy.

Buying something cause you saw it on a musician or actor you like isn't that different from buying it because you saw it on a street style celebrity or whatever.

16. LA Guy

I think that we have to adequately define "influencer" and what it means to have influenced a decision.

For example, while I am not at all influenced anyone's look, I am influenced by peer recommendations. I certainly can't say that I would have found Stephan Schneider or SNS Herning without having read about them here on the forum. And I'm reasonably sure that Engineered Garments and Wings+Horns would not be as popular on the forum as it is without my having championed it in the early years. Does this make me both an infliencer and one of the influenced? Or are we talking about something much more specific?

fwiw, I get emails on the official Sty;leforum account all the time refering to us (or rather, the forum, as a whole) as an "influencer".

17. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Wasn't one of the early tenets of forums to get away from shilling products by having peer recommend what they like, are they suddenly infliuencers because everyone is one nowadays. I'm thinking more of people being paid due to a actualized marketing strategy of getting the products oout. I'm also thinking of getting an elite to sell products to the masses and I'm not sure this works as much as we'd think or pr people wish it did. Once again it is much nicer to arrange for a party with 10 cool people with 5 million followers than to actually reach everyone on styleforum through boring means.

1 person likes this.
  18. accordion

accordion Senior member

I would guess Kanye is pretty mild compared to what goes on with K-Pop stars, they most likely have way more influence given where the buyers come from nowadays and how cultish parts of that culture are. Don't know how to be more specific without getting a little racist.

1 person likes this.
  19. dieworkwear

Influencer marketing is just brands identifying people who help shape consumer decisions and paying them to promote something. It's a terrible development in fashion media cause it creates all sorts of dishonest content, but I don't think anyone can deny it works.

If it's just some random person recommending X brand to a friend, that's not really being an influencer. If someone has a large audience and people pay attention to what he or she wears/ does, that person might be considered an influencer. If a brand pays that person in some way (free clothes, money, etc) to promote their stuff, that would be influencer marketing (as part of their business strategy).

Really, this is just part of a larger movement where the lines between editorial and advertising gets continually blurred -- magazines building out their own online shops, brands paying for fashion spreads or IG photo appearances. Again, I think it's awful, and fashion media should be a lot more honest, but if we're discussing whether it works, that seems undeniable. People consume fashion media; that media affects decisions.

1 person likes this.
  20. LA Guy

Quote: I understand where this sentiment comes from. But at the same time, it seems wrong for Ralph Lauren or Adidas or whatever to reap $$$, while some relatively poor #influencer, whether it's a professional athlete or an instagram star, is not allowed to benefit from their own clout.