• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently lots of US specific news of the same coming soon

is there a reason why no US names/business yet? Are they saving them for something?

edit - reporter just said "wait for what is coming next" re: the US

Last edited:

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Wonder if any of the presidential candidates will be named

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone will be punished accordingly.

[10]

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Fok's all indigo everything + vis would have easily fit into a trend during the raw denim days, but he still does it now and was doing it before then. So did you feel awkward as **** when everybody else was dressing like you (in a sense) Fok?
I can only answer for myself. I have no issue at all incorporating trendy items into my uniform, and allowing my uniform to evolve, so, I guess that, no, I never felt awkward when people dressed like me, or when I dressed somewhat like a lot of other people.

I like heavy leather, and I like denim, I like boots and busted up sneakers and I like looking like what I imagine a drifter in my image of route 66 might look like. I live in my own little world.

It should be noted that I look at instagram feeds and lookbooks and editorials nearly completely out of professional interests - I am interested in what is out there, what images are being create, and being fed to people, and because I no longer live near a major metropolis, I need to see what is going on. However, I don't personally follow any instagrams, tumblrs, whatever. I am completely bored by fashion blogs. I would much rather browse Yoox, with their **** styling. In fact, I prefer the **** styling, because that allows me to reimagine what a specific piece could look like. I like Greg's store for a slightly different, but related, reason. It is curiously incongruent, so I never get trapped into a specific look by over curation.

Put it this way - I am horrible at anagrams. If I am given the word "cinema", I will never be able to shake it to make the word "iceman". I think that most people, myself included, are the same with fashion. It's really hard to shake a specific image once it embeds into your mind, even when you have a lot of training/background. Which is why I generally find the most delightful things being worn by people who care about fashion, but who live in the middle of nowhere, where their environments don't force them into very specific boxes. It's typically much less polished, but it is, at least to me, much more interesting and likeable. When I moved here, I met a girl, a dance major, who dressed like a very typical "hipster" circa 2007 (because that's when I moved here.) She looked a lot like a lot of other denim era hipster girls in LA or Boston, or NYC, except that she wore a lot of Ed Hardy tees in a completely non-ironic way, and it looked great. I'm not sure that living on NYC, she could have done that, because she would have had the constant feedback of "Ed Hardy is terrible. Ed Hardy is terrible."

If I was to give people any advice, it would be "Stop being so ******* efficient with your life". Efficiency eventually leads to creative death. Some ******* Kondo-ing your life, and instead, embrace the chaos. Instead of reading your subscriptions here or following instagrams of people whose tastes you already like, allow yourself to wander randomly. If something catches your eye even a little bit, go and explore. Maybe it will turn out to be a total dead end - but it will not have been a wasted of your time.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Chasing trends is more of a social activity than aesthetic. Unknown designers don't provide cultural capital to the people in those kinds of circles. Likewise, different people relate differently to art. For example not everyone associate the music they listen to with what kind of person they are, or treat it as a reflection of their aesthetic taste. Sometimes it's about listening to what everyone else is listening to, or finding the next whatever before they blow up.
The problem with the bolded part is that you are just associating trendiness with social circles that you don't respect, whereas in reality, it's part of every social circle.

Ragechester

Reaction score
Anyone mention that @el Bert killed the SF instagram for the past week? That Acne leather
inlove.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's just people avoiding paying taxes, Does anybody really care about this?

facepalm.gif

This isnt true either. Mexican/SAmerican Mafia/cartels laundering money. People using these corporations as ways of 'paying' other people (Russia). etc etc.

Also, this is 2.6 TERABYTES of data. That is ridiculous. Lrgest leak in history I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads