• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't know how I feel about this new policy of "get more than a few posts deep into a discussion and your discussion will be banished to its own lifeless thread"

+10000

I like the free flow discussion here. It feels much more like a community than spinning everything off into "advice" threads or whatever. (Presumably to boost SEOs)

Also, tbh, don't know how I feel about new thread started under my account when I didn't actually start a thread.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can find a fuzzy bear coat to wear while I wait outside in the ****** PNW weather lamenting the lack of reservations in Portland.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about this new policy of "get more than a few posts deep into a discussion and your discussion will be banished to its own lifeless thread"
it's not a new policy. it's something we used to do all the time, and when we switched over, we just got lazy and gradually... not stopped doing it altogether, but didn't bother as much. The rationale was always that we wanted to allow conversations to arise naturally, but that if something got enough traction, that we wanted people to discuss things in a stand alone thread. It's how SWD first got started, back in the day. Not sure if any of you guys remember that.

We've been finding that spin offs typically have a lot more conversation on the subject, then when the comments are lost in the flow of RFT.

If you don't want a specific post to be the thread starter, I guess that we can honor that, of course, though it's sorta a pain the change.

Cheers,

Fok.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Copenhagen is such a dope city. Really want to go for an extended stay some time. Found it expensive as hell though. 

From what I gather from here, it seems on level with SF, but I'm compared to Oslo its cheap.

My favorite food was the tacos at Hija de sanchez in Torvehallerne. so simple, but incredibly good. 10/10 would recommend

Hija is actually Noma's former pastry chef.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
obviously the trick is, in discussion of any topic you wish to keep in RFT, to include several other unrelated yet intertwined topics such that there is no one single topic to split

this is your safest defense against Aggressive Moderation
2122.png

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here’s why we move posts:

/Puts on monocle

We used to do this (we, as in Styleforum the entity). A lot. That’s because Styleforum intentionally does NOT have Draconian rules about “off-topic posting.” Instead, when a topic seems deserving of its own subheading, it gets broken off. That's not new. For example, “SW&D” originally started as a spin-off of the main forum, as a place to talk specifically about denim. It has since grown into its own forum).

Mega-threads like RFT are, frankly, annoying. They’re hard for old members to search, hard for new members to understand, and hide more information than they share. And this thread in particular is an issue in that it contains a lot of useful information that can’t be found elsewhere. You, personally, might not find them that way, and that's OK. But it's still true.

Added to that is the fact that the random nature dissuades conversation rather than encourages it. When conversations have dedicated threads, they’re longer, more detailed, and more useful. When conversations take place in RFT, they are broken up by other irrelevant posts, and the topic in question is ignored or forgotten. Generally, leaving a topic inside RFT is what condemns it to lifelessness. This thread was started by a member as a place to post actual “random” fashion thoughts, and has since grown to be a chat log of sorts. While that’s OK, it’s less than ideal - for the reasons listed above.

Finally, SEO is not part of the equation for moving posts - discoverability (on site) is, for new members and established members. And on that note, if you have a subject worthy of its own discussion, we would encourage anyone to post a new thread about it - and feel free to link your new thread inside RFT. It's not evil to start new threads. DO IT. That way people can find it, subscribe to it, and discuss the topic in question, without being overshadowed by the sheer volume of other posts that occur in RFT.

Hope that explains things.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mega-threads like RFT are, frankly, annoying. They’re hard for old members to search, hard for new members to understand, and hide more information than they share. And this thread in particular is an issue in that it contains a lot of useful information that can’t be found elsewhere. You, personally, might not find them that way, and that's OK. But it's still true.

While I understand your (you, as in Styleforum the entity) viewpoint, I just want to say that isn't this exactly what makes it one of the most popular threads on here?

I find that the charm of this thread is not just it's incredibly diverse range of different subjects that it has covered, but indeed also the fact that the subject and discussions are incredibly fickle and can change in a second to something completely different (which I'm fairly sure the majority here are aware of).
To then remove any "evidence" that the discussion ever arose in here, while maybe positive for the few random people who will search styleforum of all places regarding info on fuzzy sweaters and jacket, in my opinion takes away from the thread as a whole.

I don't mind that new threads are started from posts in here, because while I do think that those threads in most cases will be dead in less than a day, atleast some of them will hopefully live longer than that. What I don't see the point of however is why you delete the posts entirely from here?
Couldn't you instead just copy them all into a new thread but let the posts up to that point remain here, followed by LA Guy's posts explaining that this thread isn't the place for further discussions?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I understand your (you, as in Styleforum the entity) viewpoint, I just want to say that isn't this part in particular exactly what makes it one of the most popular threads on here?

I find that the charm of this thread is not just it's incredibly diverse range of different subjects that it has covered, but indeed also the fact that the subject and discussions are incredibly fickle and can change in a second to something completely different (which I'm fairly sure the majority of both posters and readers here are aware of).
To then remove any "evidence" that the discussion ever arose in here, while maybe positive for the few random people who will search styleforum of all places regarding info on fuzzy sweaters and jacket, in my opinion takes away from the thread as a whole.

Honestly though I don't mind that new threads are started from posts in here because while I do think that those threads in most cases will be dead in less than a day, atleast some of them will hopefully live longer than that. What I don't see the point of however is why you delete the posts from here, can't you just copy them all into a new thread and let them remain here as well?
Unforunately, "copy" posts is not an option that we have. That would be an interesting solution, you are right.

Re the fickle subjects that arise here, we certaintly don't discourage it, and it's also the reason that we typically moved posts when:

1) It seems like a thread has moved onto another topic, so it's time to give an off topic discussion room to breathe and maybe be revived
and
2) When a conversation about a specific, off topic subject, is so long (30,40,50 posts in) that it certainly requires it's own thread.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unforunately, "copy" posts is not an option that we have. That would be an interesting solution, you are right.

Meant to write quote, dunno why I wrote copy

Which would also solve what @dieworkwear said about involuntarily being a thread-starter, leaving that to the mods.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
what a ridiculous thing to be worried about though

I'm @StanleyVanBuren and I endorse this message, should it become its own thread

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a yahoo.jp auction has in the description an option to end auction early if sold by "direct transfer", is there a safe way to do that by proxy? Or is that the equivalent of Paypal gift and really a trust/risk thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads