1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Anthropologie has surprisingly good buys and brands. Or, at very least, it surprised me.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I know what you are getting at, but can't that be said of all online based businesses? The location isn't really important at all, as people only care if its shipped from within the EU, US etc. for customs reasons.

3. msg

msg Senior member

No - the question is about influence not just whether you can ship something via ups. East Dane just wants your money, they're just following trends. There are others who are trying to create the trends. Both need to be online.

4. sipang

sipang Senior member

5. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Looks like some retailers are now carrying clothes from Prada.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The red leather jacket in the MrP newsletter was pretty sexy

You are missing the point in what I'm saying. The location in internet world is a mutepoint, as 90% of all the buyers only have a periferical idea of where the shop is located. Lets us use TBS as an example how many buyers do you think knows they are located in Malmö vs. Stockholm or Göteborg? or for that matter in Sweden if they are sitting in f.x. China.

The only things buyers actually care about is as I said whether or not they have to pay taxes and the shops buys. Which in the end results in you can run the best and most trend forward internet shop in the world from your moms basement in Moscow Idaho.

1 person likes this.
  7. the shah

the shah Senior member

17 people like this.
  8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

This is a horribly obtuse perspective. You are thinking in terms of the end-consumer's perspective only. What makes you think the brands would sell their goods to an e-store, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, that has absolutely no presence, even if the buyer could curate the most amazing selection ever? The brands have their reputation to maintain and trending brands would not even consider risking their image to sell to such a store. The buyers who were able to build eshops on the merits of their inventory alone were only able to do so because of prior connections in the industry. AFAIK, the most successful eshops that represent trending brands have roots in b&m and transitioned into online sales. For your TBS example, yes, for the online buyer, it makes absolutely no difference where they are located. However, for the store itself, its storefront is the only reason why it could establish connections to brands and could transition successfully into an eshop. Very rarely will the reverse hold true. Maybe @curiouscharles can speak more on this since he ran an online consignment shop before opening up Calculus (which, btw, has an appointment based b&m), but I know he has connections in the industry since IIRC, he said he worked in retail.

Also, it's moot point.

1 person likes this.
  9. sipang

sipang Senior member

idk, feels like the retail landscape/mindscape has sorta changed since those earlier successful b&m eshop ventures. if it's impossible to make it as an emergent b&m today, maybe physically setting up shop in the middle of bumfuck nowhere Prada Marfa-style will turn out to be a sensible way to generate buzz for your online presence. end times.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I feel like you could make a very similar argument about the Republican party.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The first TBS shop was located on a side street outside the mainshopping area in Malmö and it was maybe 300 sq.ft.

A little history of how they got started.

https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...bien-expands-winning-blend-streetwear-fashion

12. LA Guy

Yeah, I was there! That was way back in the day, when Superfuture was at its peak.

Anyway, the point was only that with the way retail is now, a large storefront in a major shopping district is not always the best or even advisable way to build a reputation and stay relevant.

1 person likes this.
  13. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

So what's your point? I just read the article and it says they transitioned from b&m to eshop. The landscape was also a lot different in 2006 and it was a lot easier to get your foot in the door. The market's saturated now with tons of midtier brands that cater to same generic menswear crowd.

If you have absolutely nothing but a good inventory, there needs to be some way you can market that will at least draw enough attention to build foot traffic to your estore, and having a physical store can help a lot. I agree that if you've already established yourself, it's dumb to go back to b&m when you can keep your costs low by staying online.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Of course the world is different. They started with a bunch of emerging brands like Peter Jensen, Our Legacy, Henrik Vibskov, HAN and then build it from there.

I know a couple B&M shops around here, who have followed the same playbook.

I went there a bunch of times, it was a nice little hole in the wall. They also had a shop in Lund for a little while.

15. LA Guy

A good B&M store will get you good PR, but frankly, it's not worth it. Think of the online advertising that you can buy for $50K/month, which is much less than what it costs to run the Totokaelo store.

There are still reasons to have a B&M store, but they are not as compelling nor as numerous as they once were:
    1) PR - already addressed.
    2) Some vendors only sell to B&M stores. However, even there, designers are relenting, and frankly, a lot of the vendors who have this stipulation are also pains in the ass to work with.

1 person likes this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I wonder how much business The Archive does online vs in store.

17. LA Guy

You should ask, but I imagine that it's not unlike Atelier, which did 70% online. I would imagine the remainder is more like, from regular clienteling, rather than walk in. I wanted cream or grey Guidi boots in the fall, and come spring, they emailed me immediately when they got something in. Food customer serivce. Of course, by that time, I'd found something, at a better price and exactly what I'd been looking for, online.

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I think it's hard to talk about this as a generic menswear shop. The landscape for clothing customers is really varied -- even within the confines of the sort of thing that would be discussed on this forum (so excluding Walmart or whatever). There are some stores who do 80% of their sales local/ walk-in because of what they carry. Not all markets are the same.

19. the shah

the shah Senior member

Is there anyone in NYC this Saturday interested in modeling for an editorial photoshoot ? Hit me up, lunch at biang! noodles too :eek:

20. myshoeiswet

myshoeiswet Senior member

I know this gets asked a lot, but anyone have recs for food/shopping in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto? Going to be there next week, wouldn't mind linking up with some SFers either. :)

@the shah Can I come just for the noodles? [​IMG]