1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I'm kinda surprised that you've never considered Chicago. Yeah, you don't have quite the reader traffic that NYC or LON does, but you an get (reasonably short) direct flight from anywhere and it'd probably be half to two thirds the cost of NYC? Oh, and they have Italian Beef sandwiches.
    [​IMG]

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Again, a lot of it comes down to vendors. Everyone, domestic and foreign, want to go to NYC. The market is there. Our readership is concentrated there. You mention SF and London, and it's a "maybe". Somewhere else? Blank stares and radio silence.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

People really think SW&D can be the primary customer base for anything that involves money? Or disabling adblock?

1 person likes this.
  4. the shah

the shah Senior member

I would take the train over to nyc again. might fly to london. probably LA too. SF doubtful, chicago not likely, and def not interested in other places :satisfied:

obviously green tea request stands indefinitely :slayer:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  5. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior member

One more suggestion: perhaps you should cut back a bit on the free booze. [​IMG]

And before you guys go STFU on me, I mean that you should consider buying fewer bottles. I say this as a guy who volunteered with clean up last year. Granted, I acknowledge that it's hard to tell how many people will be attending events like these - and thus hard to determine how many bottles/cases should be purchased.

Given how the SW&D crowd is more prone to waiting for deals, doing GMTOs and pre-orders of upcoming collections is the way to go. The last few times where I've paid full price - or close to it - have been from pre-orders of that were likely not going to be made in that colour, or at all. The only thing is that it would be reliant on the potential customer knowing their size already, which makes it tough for potential new customers unless there are trial pieces present.

Hence, not really viable.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Buying drinks for an event is a sucker move. You find some brand who wants to get hold of your target market and have them sponsor it. Just make sure it doesn't taste like wallpaper glue.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I primarily browse SF on my phone, so I get all sort of adds for random shit I don't look at. I have noticed though a lot of media outlets have adblocker blockers now.

8. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Alcohol companies are really hard-pressed selling alcohol to working professionals in their 20s-40s who have enough discretionary income to buy MTO clothing :violin:.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's about getting a foothold in the market place. Peroni did a lot of events over a period here just so they could get a marketshare.

10. John-Galt

John-Galt Senior member

On a tangent, I'll be in NYC for 3 days and was wondering if anyone had some restaurant, store, and places to go recs. I'm staying right by the Empire State. I'm pretty open about food and more into SW&D (Ervell, Veilance, OAMC). Don't need a long list ,anything appreciated.

Thanks

11. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I say cut down on the hard liquor and double @Ken P's beer budget.

4 people like this.
  12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

The obvious solution is a frozen daquiri machine.

1 person likes this.
  13. LA Guy

It's a lot of work to get a sponsor (as opposed to allocating about a grand, total) and additional logistics. It would be cool just to have, but as a cost thing, it's more cost effective to just serve your own booze.

14. LA Guy

Agreed, and done. More beer and wine, and really just a few bottles of liquor.

Are you trying to tell me you'll host?

15. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

restaurants, all fairly inexpensive, all well known: mission burrito, morgenstern's (ice cream), shopsins (for the experience), russ & daughters cafe

for stores, pretty sure it's covered if you go searching SF but some ideas based on what you said:
    Gentry
    Totokaelo
    Tokio 7
    Assembly nyc
    Dover Street Market

1 person likes this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

@willy cheesesteak's god tier list is below. PS, go visit NMWA (make an appointment first).

Early in the day you can go take a peaceful stroll through
    Central Park (I like entering through the 59th St/Columbus Circle entrance) or The Conservatory Garden, followed up with the American Museum of Natural History since it's pretty close (and even though I've went here plenty of times as a kid, this museum will always be awesome)).

In the afternoon, you can check out Nepenthes, Carson Street Clothiers, Bergdorf Goodman, Opening Ceremony, Odin, Epaulet, Saint Laurent, Maison Martin Margiela, Rick Owens, Aloha Rag, Dior Homme, Lanvin, Givenchy, Balenciaga, Thom Browne, A Bathing Ape, Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Leffot, etc.

For breakfast/brunch:
    Russ & Daughters (Best lox bagels in NY with over 10 varieties)
    Ess-A-Bagel (Grew up on this stuff and just as good as when I first had it)
    Clinton Street Baking Company (Their pancakes, oh lord)

For lunch/dinner:
    The Breslin Bar & Dining Room at The Ace Hotel (Dat lamb burger)
    Macbar (Mac and Cheese Heaven)
    S'Mac (Mac and Cheese Heaven Pt 2)
    Korzo Haus (Dat deep fried burger that's not even greasy at all and is fucking delicious. Make sure to grab a seat at the counter and chat with Steve the chef)
    Di Fara Pizza (King of NY pizza)
    Juliana's Pizza (The original Patsy Grimaldi's semi-new pizza restaurant)
    Motorino (One of my favorite Neapolitan pies)
    Joe's Pizza (If you're not in the mood for a pie but want the quintessential NY slice)
    Parisi Bakery (For a solid Italian Sub/Combo)
    Aria Wine Bar (Really good Italian tapas)
    Cocoron (Best soba noodles and this location is more spacious than the original)
    Vanessa's Dumpling House (The pan fried dumplings, Peking duck sandwiches, etc all for so cheap)
    Xe May Sandwich Shop (Dat lam'bretta banh mi)
    Udon West (Best Udon)
    Totto Ramen (Better ramen than Ippudo IMO and don't forget to get the Char Siu Mayo Don)
    Minca (If the wait is too long at Totto)
    Shanghai Cafe (Best XLB/Soup Dumplings in Chinatown)
    Asia Dog (Asian style takes on hot dogs)
    Curry-Ya (Best curry)
    Luke's Lobster (Great lobster rolls)
    Nomad (From 5pm-7pm, they have H/H with $3 white/red sangria & $1 oysters)
    Fish (They have a special where you get 6 oysters or clams and a glass of wine or beer for $8)
    Nougatine At Jean-Georges (They have a 3 course prix-fixe lunch for $32)
    DB Bistro Moderne (Dat DB Burger)
    Little Prince (They have a French Onion Soup burger)
    Cafe Cortadito (Skirt steaks, Cubanos, Yuca fries, Cortaditos)
    Margon (Great Cubanos)
    Cafe Habana (Dat grilled corn)
    El Castillo De Jagua (Solid as fuck Dominican food, get ready to be extremely full)
    Sofrito (Awesome Puerto Rican food)
    Los Perros Locos (Latin style takes on hot dogs)
    Souvlaki GR (Delicious Greek food)
    Rustic LES (They have a lamb burger that is served with gruyere and duck bacon with Belgian fries)
    7 Spices (Grilled Turkish meatball sandwich)
    Taim (My favorite falafels in the city)
    Katz's Delicatessen (Obviously, the Pastrami on Rye with mustard)
    Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop (Old School NY, get the pastrami reuben and an egg cream)

For Dessert:
    Cafe Sabarsky/Cafe Fledermaus (Get your Colonel Hans Landa on with a delicious Apple Strudel and an expresso)
    Doughnut Plant (Hard to go wrong with anything here really)
    Il Laboratorio Del Gelato (Great gelato)
    Chinatown Ice Cream Factory (Asian inspired ice cream flavors)
    Big Gay Ice Cream Shop (The Dulce De Leche or The Salty Pimp)
    Lula's Sweet Apothecary (Lactose free, legit ass ice cream shop. Ice cream that looks like ice cream you'd see in movies)
    Momofuku Milk Bar (Cereal Milk ice cream, compost cookies, etc)
    Ralph's Famous Italian Ices (If you're not in the mood for ice cream)
    Laduree (Your GF would probably hug you if you brought back a box of these and would brag/instagram to her friends that she's eating Laduree macarons (bitches love macarons, especially the most famous macarons))

Fine dining:
    Eleven Madison Park
    Blue Hill
    The Nomad Restaurant
    Marea
    wd-50
    Brushstroke
    Corton
    Le Bernardin
    Bouley
    Per Se
    Jean-Georges
    Daniel

14 people like this.
  17. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

Damn...I pretty much hated living in NYC, but I miss it after seeing at least a dozen spots I liked on that list

18. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Some of those spots no longer exist (Korzo Haus (no more Manhattan location), Los Perros Locos, Rustic LES, 7 Spices, wd-50) :(

And you can add:

Biang! (the proper sit-down offshoot of Xian's Famous Foods, for the skewers and hand-pulled noodles)
    Paulie Gee's (the Hellboy, Cherry Jones, Hellified Porkpie White)
    Han Dynasty (Dan Dan Noodles, Mapo Tofu, Dry Pepper chicken wings, Pork Belly with Sweet Garlic Chili Oil Sauce)
    Korzo (for the Eastern European style deep fried burger)
    Lam Zhou Handmade Noodle (for the pan fried dumplings & noodles)
    Mighty Quinn's (for the brisket)
    Malai Marke (for Indian)
    Mission Chinese (for everything on the menu)
    Maharlika (for the Flip'd Chicken and Ube Waffle)
    NY Pizza Suprema (another great by the slice spot like Joe's)
    The Happiest Hour (for The Happiest Burger)
    Upland (for the Upland Cheeseburger)
    Shanghai Asian Manor (for the soup dumplings)
    Super Taste (for the Mount Qi beef noodle soup)
    Dominique Ansel Bakery (for the DKA, Cronut, and Frozen S'more)
    Morgenstern's (easily the best ice cream in NYC)

To the list!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    12 people like this.
  19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

20. sartbaeklv

sartbaeklv Senior member

@willy cheesesteak's god tier list is below. PS, go visit NMWA (make an appointment first).

Early in the day you can go take a peaceful stroll through
    Central Park (I like entering through the 59th St/Columbus Circle entrance) or The Conservatory Garden, followed up with the American Museum of Natural History since it's pretty close (and even though I've went here plenty of times as a kid, this museum will always be awesome)).

In the afternoon, you can check out Nepenthes, Carson Street Clothiers, Bergdorf Goodman, Opening Ceremony, Odin, Epaulet, Saint Laurent, Maison Martin Margiela, Rick Owens, Aloha Rag, Dior Homme, Lanvin, Givenchy, Balenciaga, Thom Browne, A Bathing Ape, Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Leffot, etc.

Carson Street been closed for a couple months now mate.

For SWD I would check the aforementioned Gentry, Totokaelo, Nepenthes, Patron of the New and Dover Street Market. Blue in Green Soho/Self Edge if you're into selvedge Japanese denim.
    Other shops have uninspiring buys, limited selection and Tokio 7 is pricey for secondhand goods unless you're desperate then might as well go to Grailed.