1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

I dunno for men, gf has a lot of Zara stuff including some leathers and leather pants. A pretty decent camel overcoat. Not bad TBH.

3. Zassiliss

Zassiliss Well-Known Member

14 people like this.
  4. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Dillinger Escape Plan specifically but Math rock definitely is not ugly music let alone deliberately ugly. I agree that Vetements designs are ugly but I just thought that was due to a lack of talent and eye as opposed to calculated art. And if everyone agrees that their shit is ugly then there's not much more to talk about.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

A lot of postmodern art tries to redefine beauty. Or at least expand it beyond its classical definition. I think it's fine to say Vetement's clothes are ugly, but to hang the argument on symmetry seems silly. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone nowadays with strictly classical tastes in art, fashion, music, etc. If the guy pressed a little harder, he could probably find a place where that guy likes stuff that isn't classical.

The argument about hype and novelty were OK, but you could peg that on anything in fashion at the height of its popularity. There's no reason to hate Vetements in particular for it. Unless you just want to say you hate overhyped things in general.

I know I keep coming back to this, but this again just seems like two people with two different sets of values talking past each other. One guy has a very pragmatic sensibility when it comes to clothes. He just wants to look good at the office, on dates, on vacation, etc. The other guy is a little more interested in concepts and ideas. If ideas don't interest you, then a lot of this stuff is going to look stupid.

Not necessarily saying I like Vetements one way or the other, but to even have a discussion, two people have to agree on those terms. How do they see clothes and what do they value (practical use, concepts, artisanal merit, etc).

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. accordion

What do you mean by symmetry? As in the analogy of Vetements is to ugly/experiment as math rock is to rock?

While I agree that "classical taste" is irrelevant, there will always be conservative taste in art that does not reference the classical, I believe most of this forum are conservative in taste as most fashion hobbyists should be, as I believe that I shouldn't wear ugly and overpriced clothes to help some designer make a point while I look like shit myself. And in my limited recollection of post 1900s art, I can't think of anything, no matter how deliberately ugly it seemed, that displayed no craft, and nothing that revealed the piece as a product of skill and thought, as compared to a Titanic vetements shirt, which I could buy from a gift shop.

In my personal opinion I think everyone should be be more conservative in artistic taste, especially in fashion, so trends like vetements can't steal our money.

Edit: And also, the type of ugly Vetements tries to go for, from my impression, is not aesthetically ugly, but ugly in reference to lowbrow, as in the slipknot and DHL shirt. I would be more understanding if they were actual artists instead of fashion designers, but since they are designers and are selling ready to wear, and fashion is much more practical than gallery art, I think it's atrocious that people are paying $500 for a DHL shirt.

Edit edit: I'm trying to approach this from your perspective. Not all that is avant-garde is necessarily good. Most of it is terrible.

7. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

Wow, FF looks pretty awful. The lineup sounded good though.

Im going to my first burn this year.
    Need some recommendations for cheap desert wizard gear. Where to look/kop for that damir doma fw10 / sith lord vibe ?

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

MyHabit is closing/merging with Amazon Fashion.

1 person likes this.
  9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

The guy makes the argument here:

Vetements is obviously a reaction to things before it, but that's also how fashion works. It's oversized, takes itself less seriously, more focused on everyday, streetwear pieces, etc. It's not about skinny fits, austere colors, conceptual clothes, etc. All the things that felt very serious and high-minded before is now being butted up against with sort of low brow, streetwear, playfulness.

That's obviously not as "intellectually" interesting, but it's also kind of the right "comment" at the right time.

As for conservative vs avant garde taste, conservative designs are often just a relative function of the avant garde. On the SWD side of this forum, people love EG and RO. On the CM side, those would be considered wwwaaayyyyy left field (seriously, even an EG Bedford jacket over there would freak people out). Once the avant garde stuff has been around for a while, it becomes conservative as the designs trickle to high street shops.

10. accordion

Ok, I'm not as conservative as Aleks, I don't believe good fashion is just symmetry and proportions. I'd like to see a unified vision and a strong aesthetic, preferably original. Vetements steals from low fashion for high fashion, that's not new nor is it done in an interesting way. High fashion has often been boring and stale, but it takes more than merely commenting on that to break the trend or be worthy of avant-garde.

I know nothing about CM so I guess I'm casually conservative. And as I've mentioned, I think that ready-to-wear fashion is very practical as in everyone should think about what they're getting for the money they pay, and Vetements shits on that. I'm not here to buy clothes that may or not be important years down the line. I'm not buying a shirt I can get at a gift shop with no difference in design. I understand people want anything that defies the status quo and is seen as artistically important, but I know it's not that I won't consider it. My opinion.

edit: And also, what is more serious than buying clothes for their conceptual value rather than for how they look? There's nothing new or interesting here.

11. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any recs for a lightweight windbreaker, plenty of pockets, slimfitting, with a packable hood? Need something for a summer vacation

12. John-Galt

John-Galt Well-Known Member

Arc'teryx Arc'teryx Arc'teryx Arc'teryx Arc'teryx Arc'teryx Arc'teryx Arc'teryx

1 person likes this.
  13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  14. eglbc

eglbc Well-Known Member

That thing is insane. Not familiar with Greg Lauren, pretty amazing stuff, though not within budget even on sale.

15. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Some of the conversation about Vetements would make more sense if there was any sort of common understanding of the word "streetwear." 10 years in this forum and I still don't really understand what people mean by it. Or maybe I guess I usually understand what people mean but they use it to mean different things depending on context.

Related: phrasehate for "elevated streetwear."

3 people like this.
  17. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I don't want to spend valience money -- what's the best of the regular line ?

18. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

19. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

If there were 52's I would've grabbed that and the suit coat. Instead I bought the soft jacket and cardigan.

I'm also surprised the zip blouson is sitting there. That's my "must kop" Lemaire piece of the season but I still haven't found a 52 in that colour.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  20. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Well-Known Member

this is possibly the coolest piece that i've ever seen. @SuspensionPoint i take it you guys are no longer carrying ffixxed? :(

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    5 people like this.