• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you're just jokin', but always buy what fits/looks good on you. There's a ton of great stuff out there that just doesn't work for me/my body type. I was envious of having a scarstitch for like two years, finally got ahold of one, and just plain didn't like it. It looked pretty cool, but wasn't my style. Enjoyed it more hanging on the wall.
I'm joking, of course, and also exaggerating about the fit. It's just funny to me that a lot of this clothing can only be worn really slim when the guys who wear it are very narrow. Put it this way, the jacket actually felt good, I liked it, and both the remarkably frank SA and my wife thought it was the right size/a good fit. I also tried on the Layer-O jacket, and while I like it on you, on me, the chest and shoulders on me were ridiculously tight. That, and you could see my biceps through the leather. There was not that much room in the body, but still a reasonable amount.

coolron

Reaction score
i want a paul harnden long mac
Me too
frown.gif

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, here is a dilemna,

1) It is well known that fashion people do not have any muscle mass. I am hardly a huge guy, and let's face it my drop should be bigger (I'm Chinese and grew up with Italians, so...) but, a size 50 in the CCP scarstitch fits will to a little loose through the torso, but a pretty slim through the shoulders, back and chest.

So, options: 1) I don't lift, do pushups or pullups, and let my muscles atrophy like a proper fashion person; 2) I work out more, but with less lifting, so that I am actually in shape, then I get that jacket, and let a leather expert work on it. Or would that be sacrilege?

3) I used to think like you but after wanting to get a pronounced 8 pack for summer and dropping 10kg, I realised I was delusional and I am just as strong at a lower weight and everything fits much better. You don't look like you are on or ever have been on steroids so your proportions will not be distorted enough to prevent you wearing the majority of OTR clothing. The issue is not muscle mass it is fat. The human body stores a lot of fat on the triceps and chest, not just your gut, seat and thighs. You will drop an inch or two off your arms but almost none of that will be muscle. Body fat is extremely dependent on your diet and if you continue to train 3-5 days a week your muscles will not atrophy. I recommend fasting every day or second day as it allows you to have a nice variety of food, but some people are easier to control their eating with a strict regimented diet.

TLDR: Drop to 10-12% body fat and everything will fit better.

Hope this helps.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3) I used to think like you but after wanting to get a pronounced 8 pack for summer and dropping 10kg, I realised I was delusional and I am just as strong at a lower weight and everything fits much better. You don't look like you are on or ever have been on steroids so your proportions will not be distorted enough to prevent you wearing the majority of OTR clothing. The issue is not muscle mass it is fat. The human body stores a lot of fat on the triceps and chest, not just your gut, seat and thighs. You will drop an inch or two off your arms but almost none of that will be muscle. Body fat is extremely dependent on your diet and if you continue to train 3-5 days a week your muscles will not atrophy. I recommend fasting every day or second day as it allows you to have a nice variety of food, but some people are easier to control their eating with a strict regimented diet.

TLDR: Drop to 10-12% body fat and everything will fit better.

Hope this helps.
So, in my 20's, I was training seriously for a competitive sport where I had to cut weight regularly, to about 20 lbs under my walking around weight. And at my walking around weight, I was about 12% BF. At one point, when I was really crazy with both workouts and diet, I was 7% BF and looked super lean all the time.

However, since I quit/resigned from my sport, I decided that 1) cutting weight/being on restricted diet sucks, 1a) I love food, and 2) Working out is fun, or at least, rewarding. So my body is in a perpetual state of flux between my workouts and my love of food. Anyone who has traveled with me knows that I don't shy away from the carbs and like desert. Right now, I should drop 10 kg to get to a "healthy" weight. But I really don't feel like I need/want to drop enough to go down a full size in anything except for my pants.

But yeah, I probably would not get much weaker, if at all, dropping 10 kg. I was a big, strong, 145 lber, and a regular 155 lber. I was walking around at 165 lbs, and I am sure that none of the additional 10-15 lbs I am carrying around is muscle. Um, unless muscle is soft and can't be flexed, I guess. And yes, that jacket would definitely fit better through the shoulders and chest, and probably not really look different through the torso.

Also, I can't go on fasts, and definitely not anymore. Because of my rather unique medical history/condition, if my blood sugar gets low, it sorta goes haywire. It's like I am on speed. Not sure how else to explain it

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that my legs and butt, however, will probably never be super slim. I think that that is just genetic. I don't have gigantic calves, quads or gluts, but I've never been that small either, even when I was really low BF. On the other hand, I see these big fat dudes with super skinny legs and no butt. Have no idea what genetics lead to that.

Also, skinny people with cankles. That is just terrible, terrible, luck.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, here is a dilemna,

1) It is well known that fashion people do not have any muscle mass.  I am hardly a huge guy, and let's face it my drop should be bigger (I'm Chinese and grew up with Italians, so...) but, a size 50 in the CCP scarstitch fits will to a little loose through the torso, but a pretty slim through the shoulders, back and chest.

So, options: 1) I don't lift, do pushups or pullups, and let my muscles atrophy like a proper fashion person; 2) I work out more, but with less lifting, so that I am actually in shape, then I get that jacket, and let a leather expert work on it.   Or would that be sacrilege?

slimming down is never bad, just don't do it over a jacket

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you like the way your body looks just find brands that fit your aesthetic. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have a thick legs and large butt even at lower body fat but realized I kinda like that thicker aesthetic. Also I might like the way skinner fashion looks on other people I myself don't look good in skinny fashion. Figured that one out way too late.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, in my 20's, I was training seriously for a competitive sport where I had to cut weight regularly, to about 20 lbs under my walking around weight. And at my walking around weight, I was about 12% BF. At one point, when I was really crazy with both workouts and diet, I was 7% BF and looked super lean all the time.

However, since I quit/resigned from my sport, I decided that 1) cutting weight/being on restricted diet sucks, 1a) I love food, and 2) Working out is fun, or at least, rewarding. So my body is in a perpetual state of flux between my workouts and my love of food. Anyone who has traveled with me knows that I don't shy away from the carbs and like desert. Right now, I should drop 10 kg to get to a "healthy" weight. But I really don't feel like I need/want to drop enough to go down a full size in anything except for my pants.

But yeah, I probably would not get much weaker, if at all, dropping 10 kg. I was a big, strong, 145 lber, and a regular 155 lber. I was walking around at 165 lbs, and I am sure that none of the additional 10-15 lbs I am carrying around is muscle. Um, unless muscle is soft and can't be flexed, I guess. And yes, that jacket would definitely fit better through the shoulders and chest, and probably not really look different through the torso.

Also, I can't go on fasts, and definitely not anymore. Because of my rather unique medical history/condition, if my blood sugar gets low, it sorta goes haywire. It's like I am on speed. Not sure how else to explain it

Things sugar junkies say.

The first step is admitting that you have a problem. We're going to stand by and support you through this trying time, LA Guy.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gong

Reaction score
at 190lbs at 5'9" there is little i can fit into as well

uniqlo ocbds and slim jeans forever i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads