• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VitaTimH

Reaction score

I am not a knitter, but all the people I've worked with who are, give me the impression that stitching is a lot of martial arts, or programming, or whatever.

Fun fact of the day, the punch cards used in early programming stemmed from the weaving industry.

Also I'll be living in San Francisco for the next ~4 months, pretty excited as I've actually never been here before.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most boring trend of 2015: Kanye-inspired hoody and common projects Chelseas or SLP??

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp it seems that RyanAir has possibly lost my bag. With all my favorite clothes on it ;( also budget airlines in Europe suck super hard, should have stuck with the trains. I hope they find it!

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Welp it seems that RyanAir has possibly lost my bag. With all my favorite clothes on it ;( also budget airlines in Europe suck super hard, should have stuck with the trains. I hope they find it!

Sucks. I have found that if you fly frequently enough, eventually you will hit the lost luggage jackpot. As much as possible, I just carry on, and check stuff that I care about significantly less only.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sucks. I have found that if you fly frequently enough, eventually you will hit the lost luggage jackpot. As much as possible, I just carry on, and check stuff that I care about significantly less only.

To add onto that... I've learned that the gate attendants are lazy and will just arbitrarily pick a point to start forcing people to gate check. (They don't actually communicate with the flight crew.) If that happens now, I just nod, smile, take the tag, and walk on the plane with my bag. Odds are—unless you're way in the back of the line—there's still space.

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To add onto that... I've learned that the gate attendants are lazy and will just arbitrarily pick a point to start forcing people to gate check. (They don't actually communicate with the flight crew.) If that happens now, I just nod, smile, take the tag, and walk on the plane with my bag. Odds are—unless you're way in the back of the line—there's still space.

This only confirms my suspicions that gate attendants are quite possibly the most worthless employees. At this point, they simply take your ticket and put it over the scanner. Or, better yet, direct you to put your smart phone over the scanner.

hennree

Reaction score
Thats my worst nightmare - ive been with Ryan Air a couple of times and only take hand luggage for that reason :(

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Went into Jack Straw last week. John, the proprietor is super awsome. He had on a pair of brown Alden cordovan Chukas that he'd had for 11 years. I remarked that they'll last forever if you just take care of them. He replied,"I don't even take care of mine and they're still holding up just fine." Reminded me a lot of John Malkovich.

Was surprised to learn that his current favorite brand is 8.15. I guess the designer used to work for Harris Tweed and as a result their best pieces, in John's opinion, are made from Harris Tweed. The refer to their jackets as 'second-skin' garments that require the wearer to be patients while the garment stretches and molds to the wearer over time.

He carried trousers from 8.15 that were made in a donegal tweed that would have been an insta-kop that the rise been a bit larger and the thigh a bit wider.

Didn't know about that brand, but I might have to get a couple pieces.

spacepope

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I recently listed my MA+ leather aviator for sale on gr@iled. I received a message from a user in Japan asking if I could ship overseas and if they could get a discount. Later that day I received the exact same message from a different user. I don't respond to the second user, but they eventually buy the jacket for the full price. Both users have no feedback (though they have bought and sold on gr@iled) and I assume are the same person. The whole thing just seems kinda sketchy, especially because the listing has been copied over on yahoo japan.

Styleforum, am I a mark?

Last edited:

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably. I've been getting 1-2 mesages per week for the last 2 months on there from suspect users. I just report them and the grailed guys email me back and verify if it's a legit user or not. So far it's been some kind of bot or scammer every time.

Last edited:

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I recently listed my MA+ leather aviator for sale on gr@iled. I received a message from a user in Japan asking if I could ship overseas and if they could get a discount. Later that day I received the exact same message from a different user. I don't respond to the second user, but they eventually buy the jacket for the full price. Both users have no feedback (though they have bought and sold on gr@iled) and I assume are the same person. The whole thing just seems kinda sketchy, especially because the listing has been copied over on yahoo japan.

Styleforum, am I a mark?

I would keep the jacket and relist it, honestly. It could just be someone trying to resell, but the whole thing is very odd

VitaTimH

Reaction score
@ Grailed / eBay sellers: Have you ever been asked to ship to a forwarding service? I googled a bit and the consensus seems to be that it's generally a legitimate practice, but my scam alert is ringing in my head especially with the zero grailed feedback.

I'm trying to confirm if the address he provided is Paypal verified because it seems then I can just send and forget as long as I have tracking and take pictures and whatnot.

Thoughts appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads