Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Back in the day, about 2010-2011 or so, we used to go to the showroom that represented 8:15 in NYC, regularly (Oliver Spencer was also there - we chanced on the showroom by mistake the first time), and I was always very impressed by their work. I didn't know that Jack Straw carreid the brand. Will have to take a look at their buy next time I'm in town.

2. LA Guy

If you are looking just for basic techniques, you start with the knit stitch and then the purl/stockinette stitich, and then a rib stitch, which is just alternating between the two. And then you work on seed and moss stitches. Once you have the hand of those, you cn move onto complicated cables. I am not a knitter, but all the people I've worked with who are, give me the impression that stitching is a lot of martial arts, or programming, or whatever. That once you have true proficiency in the elements, you can piece them together seamlessly to create combinations that seem complicated but actually just lead from having solid fundamentals.

Since you don't know that much about it, it's best to show a picture, or perhaps draw one, and let leave the technical implementation to people who really know what they are doing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

3. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Fun fact of the day, the punch cards used in early programming stemmed from the weaving industry.

Also I'll be living in San Francisco for the next ~4 months, pretty excited as I've actually never been here before.

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Most boring trend of 2015: Kanye-inspired hoody and common projects Chelseas or SLP??

5. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Welp it seems that RyanAir has possibly lost my bag. With all my favorite clothes on it ;( also budget airlines in Europe suck super hard, should have stuck with the trains. I hope they find it!

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Ryan air is the worst airline in the world.

7. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Agreed. It was cheaper than the train, and faster. But overall a total letdown, never again. I hope I get that bag back :(

8. LA Guy

Sucks. I have found that if you fly frequently enough, eventually you will hit the lost luggage jackpot. As much as possible, I just carry on, and check stuff that I care about significantly less only.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

To add onto that... I've learned that the gate attendants are lazy and will just arbitrarily pick a point to start forcing people to gate check. (They don't actually communicate with the flight crew.) If that happens now, I just nod, smile, take the tag, and walk on the plane with my bag. Odds are—unless you're way in the back of the line—there's still space.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

This only confirms my suspicions that gate attendants are quite possibly the most worthless employees. At this point, they simply take your ticket and put it over the scanner. Or, better yet, direct you to put your smart phone over the scanner.

11. hennree

hennree Senior member

Thats my worst nightmare - ive been with Ryan Air a couple of times and only take hand luggage for that reason :(

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Didn't know about that brand, but I might have to get a couple pieces.

13. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

So I recently listed my MA+ leather aviator for sale on [email protected] I received a message from a user in Japan asking if I could ship overseas and if they could get a discount. Later that day I received the exact same message from a different user. I don't respond to the second user, but they eventually buy the jacket for the full price. Both users have no feedback (though they have bought and sold on [email protected]) and I assume are the same person. The whole thing just seems kinda sketchy, especially because the listing has been copied over on yahoo japan.

Styleforum, am I a mark?

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Someone in Japan has just flipped your jacket and send it back to the us.

15. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Probably. I've been getting 1-2 mesages per week for the last 2 months on there from suspect users. I just report them and the grailed guys email me back and verify if it's a legit user or not. So far it's been some kind of bot or scammer every time.