• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when el bert drops like 10 dope yjp links and there's 5 cm-->inch conversions per page, i guess that's SF assigning me math homework

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From an invitation to an event at Pitti Uomo:

The Sartorialist Roy Roger’s
Two authentic lovers of denim who are also sharing the same particular fashion point of view, Scott Schuman and Roy Roger’s,
since 1952 the manufacturer of the first Italian blue jeans, has found common ground for their collaboration.
Today, at the helm of the Sevenbell company is Patrizia Biondi, Chairman, flanked by her sons, Niccolò Biondi, managing director and Guido Biondi, creative director.

Scott Schuman and Guido Biondi, creative director of Roy Roger’s, will be attending to the conference.

Get ready for a Styleforum collaboration with Dethrone clothing.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fok is it possible to improve the search function on the mobile site?

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't there a NYC shopping guide somewhere here?

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone that would like to list some chunky/heavyweight/thick knitting styles/techniques/patterns? (messy sentence but you get what I mean)

Planning to take advantage of luxire's preorders for introducing knits/sweaters to what they offer and would like to get something elongated, buttonless and belted.
(basically something like a mix between the Document shawl collar robe coat and the infamous Barena long-cardigan)

So, I need to know is what kind of knitting patterns/sorts I could ask for that would be heavyweight, look good for something like this and can be made out of cotton.

Last edited:

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into Jack Straw last week. John, the proprietor is super awsome. He had on a pair of brown Alden cordovan Chukas that he'd had for 11 years. I remarked that they'll last forever if you just take care of them. He replied,"I don't even take care of mine and they're still holding up just fine." Reminded me a lot of John Malkovich.

Was surprised to learn that his current favorite brand is 8.15. I guess the designer used to work for Harris Tweed and as a result their best pieces, in John's opinion, are made from Harris Tweed. The refer to their jackets as 'second-skin' garments that require the wearer to be patients while the garment stretches and molds to the wearer over time.

He carried trousers from 8.15 that were made in a donegal tweed that would have been an insta-kop that the rise been a bit larger and the thigh a bit wider.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went into Jack Straw last week. John, the proprietor is super awsome. He had on a pair of brown Alden cordovan Chukas that he'd had for 11 years. I remarked that they'll last forever if you just take care of them. He replied,"I don't even take care of mine and they're still holding up just fine." Reminded me a lot of John Malkovich.

Was surprised to learn that his current favorite brand is 8.15. I guess the designer used to work for Harris Tweed and as a result their best pieces, in John's opinion, are made from Harris Tweed. The refer to their jackets as 'second-skin' garments that require the wearer to be patients while the garment stretches and molds to the wearer over time.

He carried trousers from 8.15 that were made in a donegal tweed that would have been an insta-kop that the rise been a bit larger and the thigh a bit wider.
Back in the day, about 2010-2011 or so, we used to go to the showroom that represented 8:15 in NYC, regularly (Oliver Spencer was also there - we chanced on the showroom by mistake the first time), and I was always very impressed by their work. I didn't know that Jack Straw carreid the brand. Will have to take a look at their buy next time I'm in town.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone that would like to list some chunky/heavyweight/thick knitting styles/techniques/patterns? (messy sentence but you get what I mean)

Planning to take advantage of luxire's preorders for introducing knits/sweaters to what they offer and would like to get something elongated, buttonless and belted.
(basically something like a mix between the Document shawl collar robe coat and the infamous Barena long-cardigan)

So, I need to know is what kind of knitting patterns/sorts I could ask for that would be heavyweight, look good for something like this and can be made out of cotton.
If you are looking just for basic techniques, you start with the knit stitch and then the purl/stockinette stitich, and then a rib stitch, which is just alternating between the two. And then you work on seed and moss stitches. Once you have the hand of those, you cn move onto complicated cables. I am not a knitter, but all the people I've worked with who are, give me the impression that stitching is a lot of martial arts, or programming, or whatever. That once you have true proficiency in the elements, you can piece them together seamlessly to create combinations that seem complicated but actually just lead from having solid fundamentals.

Since you don't know that much about it, it's best to show a picture, or perhaps draw one, and let leave the technical implementation to people who really know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads