Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I don't tip for coffee in america, unless I'm sitting down and they bring it to my table. Well if I go frequently I'll leave something, same for food.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sure, I have all that, and a some old farmhouse stuff, as well as junk from grad school that somehow made its way here. But we were talking specifically about chairs, and I, like @lefty wish to sit in a chair that can take a vigorous.... @lefty , help me out with some nice language here. I dunno. I always feel really uncomfortable with the mid-century stuff. Looks and feels like it could break if you lean the wrong way. American Craftsman style stuff, you could probably throw across a room, provided you really put some muscle into it, and t would just put a hole in the wall.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I have this:

[​IMG]

Think of all the possibilities.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I feel like a lot of this depends on the architecture of the building in the first place. If you live in an old craftsman-style home, it would be weird to fill it up with mid-century furnishings.

I think we share the same taste in furniture and architecture, but if you live in some metropolitan downtown area, some old American craftsman home might not be open to you, so mid-century stuff might make more sense.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  6. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Agreed on both points. Some good articles, but the name is terrible.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Rustic modernism or something like that, it is basically an evolution of the whole hipster crafts thing. It's becoming more and more popular in Europe, so I would imaging its very popular in the US.

9. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

is there any established designers within that discipline? what is the overarching attitude behind it? I really don't see any value that I can appreciate, it just look cheap and lazily put together. and from the interview they seem to regard carpentry and design as simpler than they actually are?

starting to see something similar to those here (SE Asia), so I'm wondering how the trend begun and how did it get mainstream exposure and reach

10. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Bacon, beards, Harley bobbers, farm-to-table, unvarnished wood, crafts-for-the-sake-of-crafs - yep, that pretty much sums it all up.

It's how "metro" got scruffy. Though I rue the term, many are calling this modern aesthetic "lumbersexual." Others are calling it the "American Heritage Revival." I am no expert, but it seems to have evolved over the last decade or so as a result of hipsters learning about the many f***ed up practices that go into the manufacturing of modern goods, foods and clothing - and regressing to the aesthetics they feel represent an earlier era, "when 'American made' stood for quality" and when trade/manufacturing practices were far simpler and more straightforward. There are now countless boutiques with selvedge denim, distressed leather and some form of motorcycle paraphernalia in the window supporting this ethos.

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sociocultural impact from the high rate of divorce among the middle-to-upper-middle-class families that gave rise to many of today's American young adults. As the wives often get custody, a male role model was missing for countless youngsters. Upon reaching adulthood, beards and flannel may represent a sort of overcompensatory expression of a psychological longing for masculine direction.

#1 Christmas gift idea for these guys (other than a pair of Wolverine 1,000 mile 744 LTDs) would be a leather-bound edition of "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau. For added irony, throw in a packet of seeds.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Fucking. The word you're looking for is fucking.

lefty

12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Agreed. Rawr Denim was a perfectly cromulent name, regardless of how broad or narrow their focus. Moreover, they just swapped out a name that included the word denim for a name that makes an obscure reference to denim, so it's not even indicative of a brand identity that extends beyond denim, which it sounds like was the whole idea in the first place.

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Am I the only one with a shameful fondness for British Utility furniture?

14. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

15. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

used to be rawrdenim, but for somereason they changed the name

edit - someone above me said it first.