1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

the pourovers i had in mountain view and NYC were like $5. Tokyo was a little more expensive. their espresso is so bad tho. so sour you can feel your enamel wearing off. didn't even bother with caps after that

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015

2. blasty

blasty Senior Member

Does anyone know where to find any Red Pants (chinos, cords, jeans, doesn't matter)? I need a pair for a Santa costume and the only place I found any were at H&M, but they were like leggings. In store, not online.

3. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior Member

I'll sometimes tip for espresso and pourovers and stuff, but not for drip.

Got used to not tipping in Europe, it was great.

4. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

Interesting. I don't claim to be a coffee expert by any means. I like Blue Bottle, though. Compared to all the other super hipster bougie yuppie coffee I've tried, it's been my favorite alongside Intelligentsia. Espresso drinks from Sight Glass, Four Barrell, Stumptown, and a bunch of others have all tasted much more astringent and bitter to me.

5. John Grady Cole

John Grady Cole Senior Member

6. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior Member

Shoe / boot experts: how much stock is there in common wisdom that letting footwear "rest" and air out between wears extends their lifetime? I think I've worn my visvim boots nearly every day for the past year. Would rotating with another pair of shoes actually give more "wears" per se? Thanks.

7. round

round Senior Member

Based on experience, I don't believe there is much stock in this idea, unless you are really wearing the fuck out of your boots (IE: working in them everyday in overly dry or overly moist environments.) As long as you condition your boots/shoes appropriately and make sure they are serviced when needed, the "resting" will be inconsequential.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

It's a difficult thing to test because it's hard to set up real-life counterfactuals for this sort of thing, but I think there's good reasoning behind it.

Your feet naturally perspire when you walk, if only because all shoes are occlusive (on some level). So heat builds up, moisture doesn't escape, etc. Doesn't mean your feet are pouring sweat, but some moisture gets trapped. For an extreme version of this effect, see what happens when you wear rubber-soled sneakers barefoot for a day. A lot of sweat will end up in the insole.

Leather soled shoes are more breathable, but you're still trapping heat and moisture. When that moisture gets into the leather, and you're working it back and forth, you're breaking it down much faster. Just think of what happens to cardboard when you're flexing it back and forth, and think about what would happen if you added a bit of moisture to that cardboard. Letting your shoes rest for a day is essentially a way to let them dry out, so that doesn't happen.

9. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Distinguished Member

How safe is it to sell to an international buyer (2 positive feedback) through eBay? I would take pictures of item going in box, etc. Buyer also contacted me through grailed but has no feedback

10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

I recently had to look into this when I sold some sport coats on eBay. Essentially:

1. You need to ship it with some sort of tracking method. USPS/ national postal services won't cut it, because they'll only show that the package was delivered to the country, not to the person's house. At least in the US, that means you have to go through someone like DHL, UPS, or FedEx. I found UPS to be the cheapest for the things I shipped, but it's not cheap. Shipping two sport coats to the UK ran me about $250.

2. The buyer still has very strong protections. If he claims you misrepresented the item, he could still force a return. And depending on the nature of that misrepresentation, you might be forced to pay for that return. So, if he or she sends it to you via a tracked method, expect to lose out on shipping to and from that country.

eBay essentially sides with the buyer in almost every dispute, because they want to make the environment as buyer friendly as possible. It's totally ridiculous, but those are their rules. The alternative is to bank on the fact that most people aren't out to con sellers on eBay, but if you lose out, it could really hurt, depending on the cost of the items.

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

12. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior Member

Sorry, wrong thread

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

You're aware you can mix it up? I have antique peasant wood furniture, old factory stools and whatnot, mid-century and contemporary designs at home.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I don't tip for coffee in america, unless I'm sitting down and they bring it to my table. Well if I go frequently I'll leave something, same for food.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sure, I have all that, and a some old farmhouse stuff, as well as junk from grad school that somehow made its way here. But we were talking specifically about chairs, and I, like @lefty wish to sit in a chair that can take a vigorous.... @lefty , help me out with some nice language here. I dunno. I always feel really uncomfortable with the mid-century stuff. Looks and feels like it could break if you lean the wrong way. American Craftsman style stuff, you could probably throw across a room, provided you really put some muscle into it, and t would just put a hole in the wall.