1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Yeah, Monocle is the magazine incarnation of the people we are talking about. Now I don't hate them as total human beings but just this "social mask" (see Marx) they put on. On the other hand that soft-left, absolving of guilt through fine consumer bullshit thing is not only something I may despise but I real social problem that needs to be adressed. You can buy all the Starbucks you want and pay an additional dollar for a fair trade label so you effectively buy your absolution along with your morning coffee (these Starbucks people are geniuses in that sense) but it is merely a blinder to stop you from having a real interest in social change.

YougM: I have an Eames chair, desk and filing cabinet, not hating on the company in any way.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

Still haven't found a nice loose cozy sweatshirt.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

Like Caine before you, the saga continues.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Those looks like they'd be slim and uncomfortably close to my body.

Need a nice slouchy soft quality one like old school champion.

Think I just need some champion from japan.

6. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Senior Member

My geller dip dye is the softest sweater I've ever owned fwiw

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I enjoy drip over coffee at Blue Bottle every time I am in San Francisco (hey @Parker , we should go wait in line next time I am in town). Look into my closet, and you see designer brands mixed with denim from specialty denim stores and MTO boots from Viberg and Guidi. I'm about as much of a bougie hipster as anyone here.

The thing gets me is the seeming lack of self-awareness and ability to see the silliness and contradictions of of one's own life. Why so serious?
    This pretty much encapsulates my derision. I mean, okay, we do this, but let's at least not fool ourselves into thinking that we are somehow superior because we buy fair trade beans or stuf made by refugee women who live in a commune or whatever.

Get some. Zenmarket (www.zenmarket.jp) is doing a promotion of no fees for proxying right now. Or you could just buy straight from a Rakuten store, and they have some sort of deal going on as well. That, plus the low yen to dollar raio, makes it the perfect time to get stuff from Japan.

8. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

I really want to like blue bottle but every pourover I've had is incredibly sour and occasionally even tastes green not to mention the relatively exorbitant price they ask for. The New Orleans style cold brew with chicory is addicting tho

Just seems shortsighted to judge someone's intention on paying an extra dollar for free trade or organic whatever. It's not like you're telepathic and can tell whether or not they're very genuine and actually desire to spend a little more money if it helped somebody halfway across the world. Maybe that's just how they live. Maybe it's just a status thing. Maybe they just felt extra moved that day.

Only thing you can tell is why you pay for it. Why even bother thinking about why other people do it? In the end does it matter what kind of motive somebody has if they're making some kind of positive contribution?

What is a real interest in social change? If you spend your weekends volunteering for some cause is that real interest? Is it only real social change if that's what your job is and everybody else isn't doing anything real? Whereas paying an extra dollar for some product that donates it to a charity isn't real interest?

9. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

yeah, hence the ninja edit of my original rant which I thought was kinda mean-spirited after I wrote it. The 3Sixteen guys seem nice and make good looking jeans and what-not. Doing a collab with Herman Miller is great, if maybe a little marketing-hoohah. I'm far from cynical and I'm all for brands and people doing their thing and developing their own style. It's cool if other people like it, I just thought veg tan leather was a weird choice for that chair. Find Finn will probably de-thumb me for my own furniture choices which include a bunch of Eames and Wegner.

hah, I usually get an Economist and a Monocle for long flights, just to balance out substance/style.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Turning pages is so much work. I just watch movies all flight #lowbrowculture

11. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

These are what I have: http://www.sunspel.com/uk/mens/sweats.html

I really don't think it's possible to do better for basic cotton sweats than Sunspel.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

My gripe with that collar is that it's not anything any idiot can go do with a vintage one, just like the Paul Smith Kvadrat x Egg chair & CH07 etc.. There's thousands of examples Missoni, suede etc. reupholstered ones, so why not do something that is actually special and showcases your brand and brand esthetic. This shit happens every time a fashion company does a collab with a furniture business.

Vintage 1970's rosewood tan leather.

[​IMG]

3sixteen
    [​IMG]

Of the top of my head, they could have done redwood frame, gunmetal base with veg tan leather and pearl buttons and actually have it looks somewhat different, than a stock one.

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Distinguished Member

How much is Blue Bottle in the US? And am I supposed to tip when buying a coffee? That seems ridiculous

14. hennree

hennree Senior Member

Yeah I guess you're right. Just interested to know if they're all middle ground or if some are completely one way or the other, but I suppose it's irrelevant as long as I smell really really nice.

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Distinguished Member

I'm going to go against the grain here, but - yuppie status symbol or not - the Eames Lounge Chair is one of the great works of chair art. Might even be my favorite "comfy" chair. I can think of no better example of a blend of clean architectural design and sublime comfort. It's right up there with the Van der Rohe Barcelona chair, Saarinen's "Tulip" set and Jacobse's egg chair (though the last one is not quite so stylistically accessible).

Though I really don't think one can hope to improve on the original design. If they did prints of the Mona Lisa as a blonde, it just wouldn't work.

I read once that architect types often enjoy designing chairs more than anything else - as a building or anything very large is subject to various environmental, legal and preferential requirements from many directions. A chair is small in size yet critical to human life. It also offers just enough of a challenge to the architectural mind - ie. how to artfully-yet-comfortably distribute human weight. So there is a fun challenge and complete design freedom.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015