1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Distinguished Member

I've actually been thinking about what sneakers might look good with some serious lug/commando soles for when it's cold and slippery and miserable outside

I have no clue yet

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

I'm 99% sure I've seen sneakers with vibram christy soles.

3. nicelynice

nicelynice Distinguished Member

4. sipang

sipang Distinguished Member

yeah but that's small time, it's barely a tread sole

5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

CP had those lug sole tournaments this year.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

What does this mean? None of them are equipped with reproductive organs, if that's what you're asking. Some certainly skew towards the "feminine," but that shouldn't deter you. One of my regulars is Violet Blond, which is decidedly not a "manly" scent.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I like interior deco as much as the next guy but in the end it makes me really uncomfortable because I associate it with douchebag losers.

8. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

[​IMG]

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Distinguished Member

My goodness -- I thought the sawtooth was big on these suckers:

[​IMG]

When you too, friend, have been ravished by the metaphorical external genital structure of a virile scent, you will understand the wounds he bears.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's really more annoying when they are douchebag winners. Makes it much less bearable.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I certainly doubt these people and I share the same definition of "winning" so the odds of them being "winners" in my eyes is extremely low.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's immaterial that they are not "winners" in your book. That they are in their's is enough to make them extra insufferable.

On a similar note, I am not sure that I can palate the Monocle Magazine anymore. It's a noxious mixture of this type of douchebag and some very shallow, vaguely left leaning, commentary on society, commerce, etc...

13. habitant

habitant Distinguished Member

What you're saying is that it hasn't changed?

14. indesertum

indesertum Stylish Dinosaur

I thought it was always like that

15. YoungM

YoungM Senior Member

These critiques always make me a little uncomfortable, probably because I think it would be remarkably easy to lob them at me, as well as pretty much everyone on this forum.

More importantly though, I think it's worth giving a bit of benefit of the doubt to people who are at least trying to create or consume good shit. Someone here fairly recently suggested that the Milk Bar was essentially "hipster crap." It may not be groundbreaking, and it may be frequented by people who are common enough to mark them as a type, but I think Milk Bar is still a huge improvement over Baskin-Robbins. Eames may be played out, or frequently used as a status signifier, but it still has a ton of merit, and it's still a huge improvement over Weirs. While trying too hard may be obvious and irritating, I still prefer it to not trying at all.

I live in suburban Dallas. I am surrounded by people in minivans wearing polos and eating at Chile's. Food, clothing, architecture, interior design, politics - it's all a homogeneous, safe blend of lazy shit. It may be more honest and less intentional than fashion victims and NYC's hottest new restaurant (and I kind of doubt that) but it's still lazy and shitty.

And most of all, I think the constant drive to parse out people's motivations and authenticity is exhausting. We're all building our personas out of whatever we can find. I think most of us would come up looking really, really lame if this level of cynicism was applied to us.

That said, Monocle is super transparent. Still buy it before flights though.