Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I've been happy with Smartwool. Easy to find on sale at Campmor.

2. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

Why don't you US guys like your west elm/pottery barn/WS or room and board?

3. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I sort of like restoration hardware..

4. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

[​IMG] But yeah Jet is right, lots of Warriors fans in that area now now. I'm sticking with my Kings though. Someday they will reward my faith.... [​IMG]

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

Icebreaker is great, but they're more performance wear.

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Yeah, there are tons of furniture makers out there, and no one way to do it. Can only speak to what I've owned, which is Ikea, BoConcept and some Crate & Barrel. Designing a space is kind of a big undertaking. It takes a really good eye to put a place together piece by piece and still have everything match. I went with 90% BoConcept because you really can't pull off a minimal aesthetic unless you're all-in, and they made it easy to put a whole space together that matched.

Their Christmas ornaments/lights are great - if you're into that sort of thing..

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

I tend to buy either IKEA (mostly for the kids' rooms, or small accessories) when I have to buy new furniture. Otherwise, my house is furnished entirely with vintage Danish teak furniture that I've found on Craigslist (for less than IKEA, mind you). I have a pretty amazing queen sized bed with integrated nightstands, and two very large dressers, for the bedroom.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. jlchau

jlchau Senior member

Quote:We just got a Room and Board sofa and really like it. Construction and materials are really good, and the thing is solid. I don't recommend moving a bunch if you get one though unless you hire movers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Thanks for the Sacremento info.

@indesertum depends on your price point but my first suggestion is Isaora.

10. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Moving is expensive though, it cost me $5.3k for US - UK move, and that was without any furniture.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It's this that bothers me and makes me feel gross. To be sure, they are probably going to be nice kids' clothes, but this has nothing to do with the kids. but with a the needs of a bunch of self absorbed parents. Let your kid be a kid. I let my kids go nuts at stores, and yes, there are tons of clothes that are not pink with sequins, or have the entire roster of the Avengers on them, but that's what they gravitate towards, that, or dinosaurs, because, when yoiu are five, the Avengers battling for space with dinosaurs on your body is way cool. I mean, kids wear Hallowe'en costumes to school when you let them and it's allowed.

My 8 year old daughter has always had subdued tastes, and yeah, if she sees some Everlane she wants, sure, if it's not stupidly expensive, I can get her some. But I definitely don't want to make my kids dress like me. They are not an accessory. Fuck that.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That's first last, and deposit, though, right? Maybe a lease break fee? I mean, otherwise, without furniture, what else is there? I've moved with, literally, 2 suitcases and a backpack. I did send a few UPS boxes ahead of me, but that cost is a couple of hundred, tops. It's not like, sans furniture, there is that much to move.

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Was trying really hard to remember the name Isaora. Ended up having to google tech streetwear and reading blog posts about it.

Isaora merino seems the cheapest unless campmor has sales

Thanks for all the recs guys

14. YoungM

YoungM Senior member

I'm moving to South-West England for a year to learn woodworking, and I'm basically doing exactly this. I am keeping my furniture/some tech in storage, which does up the cost a bit though.

15. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea, I usually move with just a backpack, duffle, and some electronics. At this point though I'm sort of tired of sleeping on a mattress on a floor with nothing on my wall.