1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I need a new tailor for basic alterations on the westside of LA (SaMo, W.LA, Westwood, BH area) .. if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Is there some shop somewhere that just has hordes of KVA stuff left? I was expecting it all to go on Yoox at some point after he shut it down but there really hasn't been much. I want some of the ridge sole boots or strap derbies

3. g transistor

g transistor Well-Known Member

The Greg Lauren stuff looks cool. I think it would really take paying $$$$$ to look homeless to the next level. At least when all the Japanese patchwork stuff that looks trashy I can be like "Oh, you know, it's like Japanese concept and philosophy and stuff" and people just go "Oh wow that's really cool is that your heritage or something"

Which reminds me, the other day I was watching a random episode of House-- the one about the guy who's a punk rocker and does drugs and hates everyone. They put on his music and were all cringing and crying about it and stuff, but it was this pretty dope noise garage-punk shit. I was really digging it and was all like "yeah, I'd totally go to this show if they played". Then it got me thinking about my clothes; I wear a lot of weird shit that people probably think is just garbage.

What if I am legitimately into shitty stuff? What if there is objectively a baseline for cool and Blue Blue Japan isn't anywhere near that, and instead BBJ is probably closer to a garbage bin at the back of a Chinese restaurant? What if I legitimately have terrible taste?

The feeling all went away when I got online and spent $750 on more pre-patchworked indigo dyed clothes. I mean, how can anyone really even argue that it's not dope as fuck? Everyone else has shitty taste. Not me.

It is what it is

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    21 people like this.
  4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I like to do experiments as well, and I worked for a bit with a people who do vintaging, special dyeing, etc.. so hopefully I'd be able to DIY it I just just need the seamstresses to do the actually sewing.

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I do Rudy's Professional Tailoring on sunset.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ragechester

Ragechester Well-Known Member

Walid seems so gangster, I wanna party with that dude "we send you jacket ughhh!?"

2 people like this.
  7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how that stuff is produced? I assume the running stitches are put in by his workers for effect, but is the embroidery work all done by modern-day workers as well? Or is it part of the original, vintage fabric?

Some of the stuff looks like it was done within their production process, like the back of this jacket:

[​IMG]

Other stuff is kind of hard to tell, like this sleeve.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. TheObserver

TheObserver Well-Known Member

Random question: How are Buttero boots sizing in general? I'm pretty sure they are not the same as sneakers.

9. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

By Walid stuff varies piece to piece. It's quite amazing, really, no two pieces really are alike. Usually the embroidery is vintage, the stitches on top are added.

1 person likes this.
  10. Poomba

Poomba Well-Known Member

Whats a good source of interesting fabric to make patches out of? Ive got an EG field parka that had the back pretty well thrashed from wearing a back pack and Id like to throw a nice patch on it.

11. RXS09

RXS09 Well-Known Member

Sized down 1 for mine

12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Well-Known Member

Cleaned out the darkest depths of my closet to put on eBay and now every time I check my listings or sell something it's a very sad reminder of the absolute shit I have wasted money on.
    (I'm talking about ocelot and camo printed skate shoes and ********* era brands).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. LA Guy

Ha. I really did not even catch that.

14. Benjaminba

Benjaminba Well-Known Member

I went down 2 sizes from my usual size, and can still wear thick wool socks comfortably. Model B1101.

15. TheObserver

TheObserver Well-Known Member

Buttero seems really fucked up with their sizing. Unfortunately the stuffs I want are on sale with no return in case they don't fit.

16. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Well-Known Member

Saw a really nice unlined wool overcoat at the Sandro concession in Selfridges earlier, all I could think about was how itchy it'd be to wear.

17. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

There's two schools of women's fashion this winter:
    - moncler down jacket and goyard tote (ok, this isn't new)
    - long coat, wide pants, Stan smiths

Sick of both of them. Bring on spring

18. RXS09

RXS09 Well-Known Member

Move back to the US. In most places, all you can see for miles are UGGs and North Face

2 people like this.
  19. LA Guy

Quote:Which is non-fashion, and actually more tolerable, in the long run. This having been surrounded by both types of people a lot (I was once an academic, and for most academics, clothes seem to be purely for modesty and warmth.

20. wogbog

wogbog Well-Known Member

last week i realized i've hardly seen any uggs this year