Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

wut. this is not my experience at all. living here has made me allergic to real cold and heat because we have neither. at any rate cheers PNW brother.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

I don't think I've ever been in anything below 25 and that was in the mountains.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Not necessarily, if the weather is dry and -10, it's much nicer than 0 and wet.

4. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

I hail from the tropics and gonna be travelin to japan this coming feb... gonna be my first winter. quite excited but also wary after following this convo lol

5. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Bicycling around 0 when it's wet and windy is the worst. It's terrible.

Also, are there any other options for decent black lace-up boots as Dr. Martens around the same budget? It seems like most alternatives are poor quality/design.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  6. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Someone purchased an item I had on eBay for around $700. Is there any precaution I can take to avoid being ripped off? I've heard these horror stories about buyers claiming they never received the item and eBay/PayPal refusing to accept proof of delivery.

7. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

take pictures and have signature confirmation.

8. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

If you insure the package for over 200 then the recipient has to sign for it as well (at least that's for USPS).

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This. The dampness is a stone cold killer. If it's damp and windy, fuggedaboutit. Your favorite color suddently becomes "warm".

10. accordion

accordion Senior member

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/its-raining-menswear

Quote: In those heady days, debates raged over fundamental questions: whether black suits are ever appropriate at non-funeral events (they’re not), whether stocky guys can pull off the “goth ninja” look (undecided), and whether jeans should “stack” at the hem or get cuffed (I prefer stacks). All of the “fora” had online marketplaces where men from around the world bought and sold clothes, and, slowly, a consensus emerged about the “grail” items each kind of man must own: Alden cordovan wingtips to go with your multipocked Engineered Garments “Bedford” blazer; flannel shirts from the Japanese brand Flat Head to wear with your Iron Heart or Sugar Cane denim; ties from Drake’s, sport coats from Isaia; a Rick Owens “Exploder” jacket paired with boots from Guidi. Back then, menswear was slightly underground. You would recognize fellow travellers on the street, but not often.

Around 2010, however, a number of factors combined to make menswear suddenly mainstream. More men started writing menswear blogs, while Tumblr created a menswear tag—“#menswear”—which allowed fashionable people who had missed out on menswear culture to discover it. At the same time, big fashion retailers began selling menswear style. Most prominently, J. Crew began to feature “grail” items in its stores, as part of a program it called “In Good Company.” (Nick Paumgarten’s 2010 profile of the company’s C.E.O., Mickey Drexler, finds him in Maine, sourcing moccasins from Quoddy.) One by one, the strands of men’s fashion emphasized by menswear—heritage Americana, denim fetishism, Ivy League traditionalism, Italian style, with its “sprezzatura,” or relaxed, studied flair—became popularized. Even the “goth ninja” look has achieved some currency, thanks to Kanye, who has made it his own. Today, on any given city block, you’ll see a man whose outfit contains a hint of menswear: a Filson bag; a narrow, high trouser hem; suede shoes with colored laces; a trim blazer in Italian azure; a waxed jacket or indigo shirt with an ironically large number of pockets. You’ll also see men who are desperate to keep their edge; they’re “dressed by the internet,” in crowded ensembles that are designed to be reblogged.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

We illuminati now.

12. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Cam'ron beat him to it.

PS I saw 2 women casually drop 5k+ on capes at Saint Laurent yesterday. Shrug.

14. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

I'm on board for capes

15. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

There is also a link to @dieworkwear 's blog in there.