Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. bows1

bows1 Senior member

I've got like 5 pieces sitting at FromJapan, just waiting for the last one to arrive so I can ship them all together

2. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Probably nothing. I just end up getting tilted at something every time. Like having my deposit automatically refunded without warning before I was able to pay for shipping so now I get bled for more fees as I have to deposit the same money again. Last time I paid them like $30 or $35 or something to remove the tags on my order because I was marking items down as they came through customs here. They were happy to charge me the money, but didn't remove any tags so I got killed by customs and then it was like pulling teeth to get them to refund the charge. There was something else another time as well that had to do with the packing that I don't remember.

Started to read but just got depressed I've never been able to find that shirt. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

3. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Anyone got duvet cover suggestions?

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Or someone on etsy or wherever that will sew some... using a duvet I love with non-standard dimension apparently.

5. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Nohirsh, but I picked up a pair of these and was overwhelmingly underwhelmed. There was a bunch of glue visible above the sole along the base of the upper. The tongue was all kinds of weird, narrowing in the middle and widening at the end, presumably so you can flip it up and tuck it behind your pants hem or over the laces of whatever kids are doing these days. The moc stitch in the back looked random and out-of-place. The top of the heel and the tongue were both made of one layer of fairly thin reversed leather and felt pretty flimsy. The color was a little odd - more orange than I expected - but that would probably change pretty quickly with wear.

Good on them for trying, I guess? Just not very well-executed.

tl;dr - pass.

6. arnoldpettibone

arnoldpettibone Senior member

if you like linen, best bang for your buck I have found is roughlinen. matteo is also nice, but more expensive, and society limonita is very nice, but very expensive. all are minimalist in design.

7. sipang

sipang Senior member

This is way nerdy, nice pics.
    Vague observations after a quick read, not to be taken too seriously. I'd put the personal part (thoughts) first as intro, work your original intro somewhere halfway into the overview, condense both a bit and add the details info and pics to the construction part. Feels like it'd flow better and avoid some repetitions that way. Content wise, it still reads a bit too clinical and impersonal for my tastes but if that's the vibe you're going for then ok.

8. chupas

chupas Senior member

Anyone here have any experience with Padrone shoes (attn: @nicelynice )? Can't find much about them online, and only a couple hits on SF, most of which are about cigars. Was looking for some basic black derbys.

9. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Thanks, that's actually very useful -- I wasn't sure how much of my opinion and personal thoughts to include, as I was picturing a non Styleforum reader reading this and seeing references to my 'waywts' that he has no idea about. And I don't know how much people would care about my subjective opinions. I'm not an authority, I know very little about construction, I'm just some asshole who bought a cool shirt.

And I did end up reordering some things, namely some construction details, across sections so that may contribute to the confusion.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Same. I did it all from my phone in about 2 minutes last night. Got the shipping notice in the middle of the night, and it was already sent out by the time I got up. Really liking the service.

11. chupas

chupas Senior member

I think you can incorporate more opinion without sacrificing appeal to a general audience. Just keep the SF-specific jargon minimal.

This is just a personal thing, but I really love texture/macro shots where you can really see the fibers and weaves, so more/closer versions of those would be awesome.

12. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Sorry, never handled them !!

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I have more work boots/shoes than work shirts...

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i'm much more at ease with cacti, rattle snakes, and gila monsters than these stuffy suit political types and marthas vinyard weekend casual attire :foo:

it suddenly got really cold. the good thing is we get perpetual comedy hour thanks to @Bam!ChairDance

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had to go back to your original post to see those horweens. Regardless of construction, the idea behind them just wrong. Stans are Plain White Sneakers -- they are supposed to be clean and simple... and white. I know they're totally overhyped now but nothing will beat the plain white leather versions. Choose whatever heel color you want.

on a slightly related note, I was in LA for the weekend and seems like every other person was wearing Stans. Or common projects or SLP. Along with a ton of drapey tees and leather DRs (even though it was fucking 80 degrees). The item du jour seems to be the black felt boho hat. Thanks Hedi!