Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Ahh, thanks for the tip! I'll do that for sure when I get it back in a month or so. Actually the worst offender at this point is the underside of the handles, which are reversed leather. Can I throw Obenaufs on the suede side?

Here's a better pic of the fabric I'll use for the lining, just dropped it off to be sent to the factory

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Obneauf's is sticky, IME. Even in light layers. Seems like if you put that stuff on a bag, it's just going to get all over your clothes and/ or contents.

3. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I own say five (two would be enough) different Timex watches and wear one every day . Really the cheapsest thing around, but to me they still look good and have been going for years. I somethimes think about getting a, for me, expensive watch, say 1000 $ but I really dont think I would appriciate it that much. Given that you dont "interact" with watches as much as clothes, in the sense of combining with different items, or even just in a sensory manner (as a watch is just always there) the subjective value (for me) of having a good/expensive one is lower than with clothes. And a cheap one obviously avoids any concerns of ruining it with wear..

Its quite practical with watches though, I like not having to fiddle around with a phone for seeing what time it is. So, if you find a cheap one that looks nice, try it.

4. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

ive really started regretting/getting annoyed with owning (alot) of "imperfect" items. For instance, why o why did I buy made in china Dr Martens? They look ok but feel crappy (synthetic lookingc, non-breating "leather"), when I could have gotten some made in germany trad shoes for not much more? Should i just throw them away, or wear them given that I´ve actually already spent money and the earths resources on them? Just seeing them in my apartment makes me slightly annoyed.

A general point: is striving for some stripped down perfection reasonable, or is accepting the intrinsic flaws of the world /being a consumer the only way about it?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  5. Grintricha

Grintricha Senior member

Technology will develop and at some point this forum will migrate to a new one, and it just won't be worth migrating the old content so it'll get deleted I'm afraid

6. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Which is where things like personalisation shine, letting subscribers directly choose what emails they receive is great. Some people love heavily product focused emails, others prefer editorial, the challenge then becomes combining the two in a coherent manner. Email's so cheap to send that ROI is pretty much always positive.

Quora and Medium send great emails, and Quartz' daily newsletter is the first thing I check when I'm in the office.

That's kinda shitty, and they're leaving money on the table.

7. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

There are lots of IRL parallels to this-- I'm thinking of things like fraternities and student organizations that have lasted a century or longer. Meeting spaces would move from one building to another, founding members would ascend to the Big Forum in the Sky, and new members would join without having met any of the founders face to face.

But in these organizations the n00bs still think of themselves as part of a community, thanks to all the rituals the community uses to pass along institutional memory from one generation to the next. Meanwhile current members extend their tendrils to alumni and other former members to keep them coming back for reunion events, making sure the community always keeps some connection to the past.

Or, if StyFo lasts long enough, it could even become a sort of Online Style Nation. We send digital textbooks to new members so they can learn about Fok the Belted or Moo the Instigator. Admins levy taxes and collect census data from all the commoners so they have no choice but to imagine themselves as part of the state. We create flags, mantras, pledges of allegiance that we recite on the regular.

Etc

8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

What I'm saying is, soon it'll be really important for future stylefarmers to ask each other.... "what wash are those?"

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

rft off topic: i hate the direction devoa is going

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Parker
    Member since 2005

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Finding information about Bless requires you to be like humans before everything was on the internutz and just buy their archive books, I have plenty of info about Bless (granted one of my friends worked for them and had to handle archives). Does Vêtements even have a website?

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

There is no industry exactly like this though, for every trader with an expensive watch you have a dude wearing a Casio.

So no, you don't need to care about watches, in fact most watches are so ugly that you're better off with no watch. I only like simple designs and smaller watches and, let's be honest, watch fans have a very high dumb douchebag contingent, just like wine fans connoisseurs or whatever (for the record I like a good wine with my meals and own some mechanical/Swiss watches, I might be a dbag). Nature of the (status) game. Doesn't mean there aren't some charming nerds in both hobbies but I mean. And no it isn't true that every hobby has the same amount of morons, c'mon.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

See: model train builder/conductors and comic collectors. You know, know, know, that they really like the stuff and are nerds. They may actually be building negative social capital from their hobbies.

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Oddly this has probably been my longest stay on any community- 2008 I think (albeit starting out on MC before coming across to the dark side ;) ). I've joined various photography boards over the years and dropped them when life's been busy/they've turned into 'my kit is better than yours' groups or in one case when the site owner decided he'd use the site to drop in racist jokes and promote Hungarian far-right extremism... I used usenet back in the late 80's but then didn't have internet access for a few years. I might have hung around other communities for longer if I had more online time, but I can't keep even vaguely abreast of what's going on if I follow more than two or three.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm really curious as to how you came to this conclusion. I used to spend an inordinate amount of time in watch forums, meetups, etc... and never got that feeling at all.

The dbags I've encountered around watches are typically people who know zero about them and only seem to care about the status of acquiring a particular watch - like that guy who fantasizes about a steel Daytona or a Royal Oak for years without knowing why, other than some influential friend convinced him it's the watch to own.

The guys who actually collect, read, post about watches don't come across as dumb dbags at all - although there is a good quotient of fanboys who take their loyalty to a particular brand too seriously sometimes.