Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. sipang

sipang Senior member

So I really don't give a flying shit about watches but apparently I have way too much time on my hands because a couple months ago I found myself reading up on movements and complications and Geneva seals and before you know it I was on Chrono24, trancelike, bookmarking like a fool and planning 'reasonable' purchases I have no business making. The internet is a funny thing.

It got boring eventually and, all in all, I still don't know shit about watches but I guess I can see part of the appeal now, kind of. And yes, okay, watch people are not automatically douchebags, sorry all, many are just nerds. Still can't wrap my head around the financial aspect of the collector thing and the ugliness of some designs and Rolexes (sorry cyc) but hey, tastes... Who knows, maybe one day I'll get something low profile like an old VC ultra fine or a Patrimony if I'm crazy.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I find wearing expensive watches to be really uncomfortable. It's not a few hundred dollars, or a few grand, of stuff that has essentially zero resale value anyway, that way clothes are. For the most part, one you buy clothes, you may as well wear the crap out of them, since the more value you get out of them, and the more you value them as parts of your wardrboe, the less valuable they become for resale.

On the other hand... a $100K watch, a $50K watch, a $10K watch, honestly, even a $5K watch, I'm scared of swiping my hand and scratching something and decreasing the value by a good chunk of my mortgage.

3. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

I like the idea of you fantasizing over wristwatches. Or at least the Picture you painted for me.

Vc ultra fine with Lemaire pieces would look, uh, ultra fine (sorry)

4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

do you ever wonder if watches fetishize us

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Wait, not sure I understand your first paragraph. Watches have a lot of resale value -- that's what makes purchasing them feel a bit more safe than clothing or shoes. Many can even accrue value.

Regarding the durability, some of these watches were literally built for war, or diving to the bottom of the ocean, or doing some crazy activity that most of us will never do. My dad's Rolex went with him through the Vietnam War, Cambodian genocide, and Iranian Revolution. Thing still works fine.

I personally like vintage watches precisely because they have a bunch of dings and patinas.

6. LA Guy

I think that watches and cars are particularly wierd because of the "investment" aspect. I certainly don't think of my clothing in terms of resale value.

It would just be a thread for @Synthese to lament that fact that he was still a child when Cloak was in its heyday.

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I dunno. Every day someone on CM says they just invested in a pair of Allen Edmonds.

8. LA Guy

That's because my first paragraph had tons of typos and I'm tired.

What I mean is that I have zero care if my clothes get dinged up. In fact, it might even make it cooler. I don't think of my clothes as an "investment". I buy clothes purely because I enjoy wearing them. I think that I've posted many times before that I virtually never resell anything. So, I don't worry about my clothes. I put them on, and forget about them. Except when I look in the mirror, and then I think "Man, what a cool jacket."

Watches, precisely because thy retain or even accrue value, make me psychologically uncomfortable, like wearing pants that I feel may, or may not split down the ass if I move too quickly.

9. LA Guy

Yeah, I know. I think that is super dumb. My working hypothesis is that this is a vestigial artifact of America's puritanical past, which demands a justification/rationalization of what is a fundamentally frivolous purchase.

This coming from a guy who got Visvim boots and a Margiela bracelet in the mail today. Can't even wear them to most offices (Styleforum is very lax).

10. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

That makes me wonder, how many people were around during Rick's early years and are still around to discuss it? hardly any I think it's safe to say.

I hardly never check out CM outside of the NMWA thread, and even I found this funny.

11. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

I always think about resale value when it comes to clothes. I never buy anything with the intent to resell it, but sometimes a piece simply doesn't work out and like being able to move on. I view the buying process as part of an extended trial. If I wasn't able to get at least some money back clothing would be a very expensive hobby and a lot of decent clothes would be I'm a landfill. Nothing makes me more anxious than opening my closet and finding something that doesn't thrill me - I'd rather sell it than wait for the off-chance I wanna wear it again. Never regret selling something, own too many cool things and there's always something on the horizon

12. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Lol this is like when I hear religious people in my family speak about how incredulous other religions are. I'm like bro we believe in a super Santa in the sky, let's not get too judgey

I hate you so much

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Lange or VC is next for me. :satisfied:

14. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Riding the train right now across town to the fabric market, gonna pick up something to line my guidi bag. I want a natural-dyed fabric (kind of expensive at $50/meter), deciding between persimmon (burnt orange/brown), sumi ink (grey-ish), and indigo for a black bag. Leaning towards persimmon just for the contrast

15. LA Guy

Me, @sipang ,
    @Parker , amoung others. There are a lot of fogeys around here.