Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

Here is my uninformed opinion - I thought that most of Vetements looked pretty good. I see a lot of Margiela influence. And I think that is fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Normally that avatar would make me shy away from tracking down any music recommendations, but it's not bad. Kinda reminds me of Richard Hell.

3. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

I get its when stores don't order XL's, but when they only order Small and Medium I get really sad.

4. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I'm enjoying it! I'd rather have a real convo about vetements, even if we don't totally agree, than ever read another discussion about sizing

also, I don't think you're flailing. you make some good points and now I'm going back and looking again. dammit, i dunno. if I look at stuff outside the show, like the stuff on Totokaelo, it looks really good, though paradoxically because toto makes it a lot more sophisticated when vetements actually said, "If there’s one word that’s taboo for us, it’s ‘sophistication."

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Doesn't it feel jarring though, for a brand so deeply steeped in tradition and unhurriedness it basically lives in its own time bubble ? Cape cod all the way.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, Totokaelo, for better or worse, makes everything look very Totokaelo.

This piece, though, out of the "sophisticated" context of Totokaelo's styling and product pictures, looks very Courtney Love in mourning:
    [​IMG]

I guess, if push came to shove, I could not say that any of these clothes are truly terrible. They just don't seem particularly interesting to me. This dress, for example, I feel like I've seen it before, and frankly, not that long ago. and frankly, this doesn't even look "rethought" more than just "reissued".

7. LA Guy

I don't hate these, which makes me question hypebeast meter.

8. LA Guy

Except that I have grown to really dislike any number of Apple products.

I would like to see a band designed by Hermes for G-Shock. That, that I would buy.

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

Below : hyperbole

Yeah definitely, and I think we're kinda talking past each other on this. But as Fok pointed out it's kinda hard to dissociate the way the brand choose to present itself from the product when it relies so much on attitude. And I agree that deep down it's got little to do with Margiela but visually the language is there and so of course the association is made and everyone is going crazy because everything else is so sedate at the moment. And at the end of the day you gotta wonder how exactly is this different from HMxMMM if you remove the price tags, I mean it kinda feels like they're leveraging a secondhand subversive image that goes nowhere to sell tshirts and jeans. And then they say it's 'just clothes' but that's just part of the act. VETEMENTS. And I think Bless has humor but these guys, they're way too serious about sales for that.

And I don't even dislike the collections so.fuck.this.

10. LA Guy

Just got an email from Wings+Horns announcing their new collaboration with Danner. It seems like designing collaborations with Wings+Horns are super easy to do. "We're gonna make it black. All black. What leathers do you have that are black?"

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

W+H x Dayton...

12. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Not completely sure I buy that a designer's pieces are inseparable from the way the designer styles and presents them (in the end they're objects-- they can take on lots of meanings). But it is a fun idea to chew on.

And while you're thinking about it, observe: four women wear the same Vetements dress.

13. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Better than the W+H x Adidas collab, amiright? :rimshot:

14. sood

sood Senior member

a bit late to the editorials email party but I think @gdl203 's NMWA and @ChrisNeedSupply 's NS does pretty good editorials emails.

15. LA Guy

I agree with that, but the fact is that they interest me personally a lot less than their product emails.