Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

what do you mean?

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Apropos of nothing, pangolins are awesome.

[​IMG]

3. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Because those emails are often their highest revenue generating campaigns, particularly when they're properly personalised.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

4. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

The sense of humor, deconstruction, play on proportions and shapes, reproduction/reconstruction of vintage garments. Bless has been quietly doing that for 20 (?) years now.

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

that's basically what I was getting at when I said vetements was less overtly commercial than SL. there's definitely a wider audience for SL. actually, on this point, their more commercial stuff is the stuff I really like. there's more restraint in it. some of the other stuff feels like half-considered gimmicks. I think the jeans are a perfect example of what they get right though, and even at more than $1k they sell out. clearly they're doing something right. they're also like the cool brand to be photographed in, so that helps those sales. actually saw this today http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/trends/2016-spring-summer/vetements-street-style

i dunno. i bet if they did do a full menswear line i'd find a bunch of stuff I really like. i do have a hard time getting past the brand image in the shows though. just makes me think of rich art school kids who mope and complain a lot. haha.

and you really think the design of the vetements bomber is better than the undercover one? man, you crazy! (also, curry soon...)

6. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

^heh the undercover one is almost certainly a nicer garment, as an idea i think the vetements thing is more fun. would rather wear the vetements, though maybe that's because it strikes me as more masculine.

re pangolin, sure that's totally true and bless is amazing, but despite those sort of conceptual or formal things they have in common, it's a very different feeling and aesthetic. I don't think they end up really achieving the same things either actually. bless seems more to me about these weird art objects that tell stories and convey surprise and wonder. vetements is more interested in notions of street fashion and i think, by proxy, ends up speaking to (and perhaps in a weird way in dialogue with) blog/internet fashion culture. that's a direction that i'm not aware of bless looking toward.

another dichotomy that relates to this conversation: finding information about bless requires quite a bit of digging and it's hard to turn up much, it's kind of almost a secretive thing; vetements takes the opposite approach and is enmeshed in a firestorm of publicity and social media despite an initial veil of mystery.

7. Pangolin

Pangolin Senior member

I don't disagree at all, and except maybe for the Margiela connection, I don't think the brands have much in common either. I just thought it was interesting how the content of your post could also define Bless.

If Vetements is a product of blog/internet fashion culture, Bless is that photocopied zine that doesn't always make much sense but is still really fun to read.

8. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

much needed read. always enjoy your input

9. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

I've gotten this feel from Vetements for a while now. Secrecy for the purpose of exclusivity vs. Bless' "secrecy" due to them just quietly doing their own thing.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Those are pretty much the ONLY store newsletters, apart from those with an enticement of a exclusive coupon code, that I open. There is otherwise no reward for me. I don't really care about the editorials from stores, and wonder at the ROI on those. Maybe they are good branding opportunities? In any case, I have, for example, not opened a single "editorial" piece from Mr Porter, but I open their Tuesday and Friday "new product" sends, every time, and if there are less than say, 150 new products, I am automatically disappointed, because it means that the chances of my finding something in the intersecction of I like/I can afford/its a category in which I'm currentely interested drops to nearly zero.

If I want to look at interesting content, I open emails from Quora, my daily WWD pdf version, or from other torums that I have memberships to but don't participate in much, just she see what's up, etc. A store though? I want to see what they ave in stock;. There is no story that they can tell me that a cursory glance through their brand list and new items does not already.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I can give you one data point: us. We send two emails a week : 1 editorial (digest of blog articles), 1 about products (new arrivals, promotions). The editorial emails have an open rate less than 10% (not 10 points) below the more commercial emails. So people do open them. ROI cannot be quantified though because there's no product to click on and generally nothing to buy straight from the email. We think it builds rapport (with those who open them) and maybe strengthen the relationship with our users beyond just talking about the products - not arguing that there's plenty who don't care about all that; there sure is.

12. LA Guy

My post was arguing mostly about the value of commercial emails, and I may have overstated the lack of importance of editorial emails, except to say that they have no value for me, generally. I do open your editorial emails, but mostly because I know you already, and also because I interact with your other customers in your thread, here. I do wonder what is the rate at which non-Styleforum members open those editorial emails.

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

@LA Guy the only flipping ads on i see on mobile anymore on this site are from my employer, can you turn that off or should I talk to our marketing dept.???

14. LA Guy

That would be your marketihng department. Apparently, you are a really, really, desirably customer.

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

In keeping with the theme, an obvious precedent would be Margiela's appointment at Hermès which was quite a gamble and had people scratching their heads but managed to deliver famously. I'm sure the Kering dudes had that bit of history somewhere in the back of their mind when they made the choice, or maybe they just blindly went for the most hyped up name. Different times and very different beasts all around though, still it's an amusing if imperfect parallel. And Balenciaga has no shortage of archive material to work with so the potential is there and this might be an opportunity for Gvasalia to show something else/grow out of the Margiela shtick.

Ok, nobody's saying that.

Still not convinced there's humor in any of it and I don't think it's pretense free but it's certainly clever.