Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Decided to keep it and got an absolutely ridiculous offer on it this morning so it's already gone :(

I don't make enough to money to buy $3000 jackets every couple months haha

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

This is something that annoys the crap outta me because, well, that's the one feature that really makes the most sense for quick engagement on mobile.

If any of you guys work in tech, you will know how frustrating shit like that can be. "BUT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA. Or fine, let's do other random shit instead."

3. Rais

Rais Senior member

@VitaTimH You've already pointed out the impact of the site's popularity and seasonal changes to traffic on your dependent variable. There are also a lot of confounding variables at play that I think you will find impossible to remove from your study: the impact of other users' photos posted adjacent to your own; variations in the specific make-up of users contributing thumbs to a WAYWT thread at any given week, the ever-changing preferences and proclivity of users to thumb is constantly changing on both individual and collective levels; social factors unrelated to your outfit but which may influence whether a user thumbs you or not; contextual factors within the photo itself such as the background, if anyone else notable is in the pic with you, etc. I think you cannot produce usable analysis with the way the study has been designed and implemented.

Interesting idea. Maybe qualitative research would be more practical for your intent?

4. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Presumably much of this washes out with a large enough sample? But either way, Tim is a man of SCIENCE. Qualitative, my ass!

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@VitaTimH - just the sheer number of users on the site alone makes what you are trying to do very difficult. In any given month, 5-7K people post something, not to mention those who engage less actively by doing things like voting in polls and giving thumbs, and this makeup is changing all the time. There is a core of users that changes much more slowly, and that is sorta what you see when you actually read the forum, but the actual usage of the forum is very complicated and there are a lot of entry points.

6. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Yep, all those are worth considering. Add to that a relatively low sample size and you have all the hallmarks of a terrible study (though that's never stopped me, I'm too cool for that).

I think if I really wanted to get at seasonality, parsimony would ultimately be the best approach. Collect thumb data for every single post and hope that variance from everything you mentioned is averaged out.

And haaaaa, from my experiences "qualitative" and "practical" do not belong in the same sentence. I don't think I can get any slaves -- I mean, undergraduates -- to read every WAYWT post since last October.

7. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

It would be cool to see the data from everyone's posting and correlate that with season, of course you'd have to leave out the southern hemisphere doods

I reckon a fit collects 95% of its thumbs in the first week, lets call it the thumb window. If you gathered site visitation numbers during each fit's thumb window, you could negate the variable user base effect by correcting each value relative to the most popular thumb window. Or something like that

8. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Haferlschue were weirdly enough also a part of the whole nepenthes look some years ago, a very traditional Bavarian brand (can anyone rememember the name? Lacingon the side) that for some reason was sold at Inventory and so on. There exists a whole bunch of german/bavarian traditional shoe makers who make a lot of very cool stuff, like Trabert and Bertl. Hope to do a german roadtrip soon to check some out.

I really like the german cord workwear, the quality is quite fantastic, atleast on the FHB items I own. For example, I can warmly recommend these http://www.manufactum.com/german-cr...ead-corduroy-pants-p1464919/?a=78223&c=193632 for any one attracted by the heaviest cord trousers known to man (size down one).

On the wool side, I think the search to do is "Trachtenjanker". I used to have some boiled wool Tyroler jacket of that type, and the quality was remarkable. I think they are too much to wear here though, but perhaps if the horn buttons were exchanged.

Yes, got the Lafont pants which are really nice, well made and so on (especially for around 50 euro), BUT one of the inseams are twisted (think old jeans) which for sanforized pants just is a quality control error. I need to send them back, but would love to have a good pair.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

It would be against the Geneva Convention.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Haven't stopped the Italian garment industry.

11. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

I've been thinking of getting some bertl workboots as bombproof winter beaters. Oiled leather, Norwegian welt, plenty of toe room. Cheaper than viberg (and I'm not into their lasts anyhow).

The haferls Inventory stocked were haco schuh. The ones Nepenthes did were actually different brand ('dirndl+bua'). They also did a brogue-haferl hybrid made by Alfred Sargent some years back that was pretty funky.

My sister's husband's family are v trad southern German / Austrian, seen them all wearing the horn buttoned jackets. They're nice, but no way could I wear one without feeling silly.

12. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Now I really want to see that picture.

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

oh man it was a good one

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

...........maybe. :embar:

I think most shocking revelation in this article is that RadioShack only filed for bankruptcy this past February.

http://www.theonion.com/article/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b-2190

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

15. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

It was this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015