Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i think you must be mistaken, i see that gingery actor dude around hackney all the time, he's never wearing textured jumpers or big-lapel overcoats

(@snowmanxl :))

2. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Im dangerously into Alpine/Tyrole wear these days, living in Zurich and with a girlfriend from Munich. The latter sets the boundry, however much I would love some haferlschuhe, she just see it as odd kitch. The closest ive got is the Meindl "Sasel" shoes which I love.

3. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Now bump it up against a cookie-based geodemographic segmentation system for product usage and lifestyle propensity indices and look-a-like modeling, then dump it into a mobile-enabled dynamic dashboard and we're good.

I'm in analytics not operations, so I usually try not to drip. Shaking vigorously helps.

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

I think my first exposure to Derrick was in the early 90s, I only had access to a tv set sporadically so I was too busy lapping it up to really notice the slowness. What I remember is that it was pretty grim stuff compared to other tv programs I knew at the time. I've caught some reruns since and the glacial pace is definitely there (I remember an old Groland spoof 'Inspector Munich' where the whole episode is basically Derrick dialing a number on a rotary dial phone at a snail's pace) but there's also that heavy depressing atmosphere, the dread, the petit bourgeois interiors, and Derrick himself, impassible, peering deep into the suspects minds, slow but unstoppable, inexorable, sometimes feels barely human. It's such a weird mainstream show.

(dunno why I'm writing this in English, as if anyone would know/care about Derrick)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Some of the buttoned jackets are alright tbh, as long as there's no embroidery and stuff. Haferlschuhe kinda weird me out, I remember someone here had Vass-made pair a while ago.

(Did you get those Lafont trousers ?)

7. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

current fashion mood:
    [​IMG]

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

I could pretty easily find myself going in this direction, too. My father is from the Tyrolean Alps, and I used to wear authentic Tyrolean lug soled monkstraps. Heschung is a great help, and some of my Cabourn stuff fits pretty well. I don't really know of much else at the moment.

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

are you keeping the sissy?!

10. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

There was never any doubt.

11. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

So starting from a year ago, I decided to keep a running log of WAYWT thumbs I received, partially to test the common wisdom that fall / winter posts were generally more liked than spring / summer posts, but mainly out of general curiosity. So, one year later, here's my graph:

[​IMG]

Notes and thoughts:
    1. Contrary to my expectations, my maxima seems to occur around mid-March. The drastic dip in early April is an outlier. I blame Nazis.
    2. Of course, personal improvement is not taken into account (and I'd hope there is some!). Maybe I just had no clue at the start of this year.
    3. .0288 increase in thumbs per day on average. In fifteen short years, every one of my posts will experience Parker levels of adoration! /shittystatistics
    4. Thumb values are taken from approx. 1 week after the post was made, which is generally the "like lifespan" of posts.
    5. Site popularity is another confound. Looking at Alexa's free 1-year traffic chart for Styleforum, popularity peaks in January, and we're due for another rise soon. /extrapolation
    6. (If anyone has an Alexa advanced plan or similar and can provide actual visit numbers, I will like enough of your posts to statistically significantly impact your yearly thumb count.)
    7. I'm not too familiar with longitudinal analysis, but if I expect to see two inflections (one in winter and one in summer) polynomial regression with third order polynomial would make sense, correct?

[​IMG]

^ Alexa's chart

12. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Nice charts
    I can never see thumbs since I browse on mobile unless I'm posting a pic

Ps that Seahawks lions game was ridiculous.. Glad I can go to work this afternoon and not be cranky

13. chupas

chupas Senior member

*receives 40 thumbs*

"Maybe I just had no clue"

[​IMG]

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You want me to send you ads for all of your local leather daddy stores and then track your click throughs on my phone?

15. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Random non-fashion thought for gamers: :foo: is literally Styleforum's version of [​IMG]. Man, we're waaaay ahead of the curve here.