• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I already leveraged the king of data - first party data.  Why do you think I made that yell and sell here?  Why do you think that I offered thumbs?  

I'll just go ahead and take your ******* position already.  You probably don't even know how to make an effective email drip campaign (incidentally, something that we actually do well with (0).)

Now bump it up against a cookie-based geodemographic segmentation system for product usage and lifestyle propensity indices and look-a-like modeling, then dump it into a mobile-enabled dynamic dashboard and we're good.

I'm in analytics not operations, so I usually try not to drip. Shaking vigorously helps.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love Branquinho because it makes me think of Fassbinder, not 100% sure why either, the 70s decadent bourgeois touches are there I guess.

I had a long Derrick conversation recently, it really made a mark on our young psyche, I mean the whole thing is soooo sloooow. Old german people tv.

I think my first exposure to Derrick was in the early 90s, I only had access to a tv set sporadically so I was too busy lapping it up to really notice the slowness. What I remember is that it was pretty grim stuff compared to other tv programs I knew at the time. I've caught some reruns since and the glacial pace is definitely there (I remember an old Groland spoof 'Inspector Munich' where the whole episode is basically Derrick dialing a number on a rotary dial phone at a snail's pace) but there's also that heavy depressing atmosphere, the dread, the petit bourgeois interiors, and Derrick himself, impassible, peering deep into the suspects minds, slow but unstoppable, inexorable, sometimes feels barely human. It's such a weird mainstream show.

(dunno why I'm writing this in English, as if anyone would know/care about Derrick)

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im dangerously into Alpine/Tyrole wear these days, living in Zurich and with a girlfriend from Munich. The latter sets the boundry, however much I would love some haferlschuhe, she just see it as odd kitch. The closest ive got is the Meindl "Sasel" shoes which I love.

Some of the buttoned jackets are alright tbh, as long as there's no embroidery and stuff. Haferlschuhe kinda weird me out, I remember someone here had Vass-made pair a while ago.

(Did you get those Lafont trousers ?)

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
current fashion mood:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im dangerously into Alpine/Tyrole wear these days, living in Zurich and with a girlfriend from Munich. The latter sets the boundry, however much I would love some haferlschuhe, she just see it as odd kitch. The closest ive got is the Meindl "Sasel" shoes which I love.

I could pretty easily find myself going in this direction, too. My father is from the Tyrolean Alps, and I used to wear authentic Tyrolean lug soled monkstraps. Heschung is a great help, and some of my Cabourn stuff fits pretty well. I don't really know of much else at the moment.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
are you keeping the sissy?!

VitaTimH

Reaction score
So starting from a year ago, I decided to keep a running log of WAYWT thumbs I received, partially to test the common wisdom that fall / winter posts were generally more liked than spring / summer posts, but mainly out of general curiosity. So, one year later, here's my graph:

Notes and thoughts:
  1. Contrary to my expectations, my maxima seems to occur around mid-March. The drastic dip in early April is an outlier. I blame Nazis.
  2. Of course, personal improvement is not taken into account (and I'd hope there is some!). Maybe I just had no clue at the start of this year.
  3. .0288 increase in thumbs per day on average. In fifteen short years, every one of my posts will experience Parker levels of adoration! /shittystatistics
  4. Thumb values are taken from approx. 1 week after the post was made, which is generally the "like lifespan" of posts.
  5. Site popularity is another confound. Looking at Alexa's free 1-year traffic chart for Styleforum, popularity peaks in January, and we're due for another rise soon. /extrapolation
  6. (If anyone has an Alexa advanced plan or similar and can provide actual visit numbers, I will like enough of your posts to statistically significantly impact your yearly thumb count.)
  7. I'm not too familiar with longitudinal analysis, but if I expect to see two inflections (one in winter and one in summer) polynomial regression with third order polynomial would make sense, correct?

^ Alexa's chart

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice charts
I can never see thumbs since I browse on mobile unless I'm posting a pic

Ps that Seahawks lions game was ridiculous.. Glad I can go to work this afternoon and not be cranky

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now bump it up against a cookie-based geodemographic segmentation system for product usage and lifestyle propensity indices and look-a-like modeling, then dump it into a mobile-enabled dynamic dashboard and we're good.

I'm in analytics not operations, so I usually try not to drip. Shaking vigorously helps.
You want me to send you ads for all of your local leather daddy stores and then track your click throughs on my phone?

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Random non-fashion thought for gamers: :foo: is literally Styleforum's version of
. Man, we're waaaay ahead of the curve here.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

are you keeping the sissy?!

Decided to keep it and got an absolutely ridiculous offer on it this morning so it's already gone :(

I don't make enough to money to buy $3000 jackets every couple months haha

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice charts
I can never see thumbs since I browse on mobile unless I'm posting a pic
This is something that annoys the crap outta me because, well, that's the one feature that really makes the most sense for quick engagement on mobile.

If any of you guys work in tech, you will know how frustrating **** like that can be. "BUT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA. Or fine, let's do other random **** instead."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads