Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Visvim. Brands that are somewhat associated with football casuals. Leather, in all its cool forms, from Horween to C.F. Stead to Guidi. Sashiko. Things dyed indigo. Leather dyed indigo. Sample making.

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

I just like to hate.

3. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

So a sorta fun thing happened

Not sure if I ever posted this pic, but on my old laptop I had this look from Casely Hayford London F/W14 saved.
    Besides Talavera, it's one of the things that put me on the trajectory I'm currently heading regarding my style. (Basically elongated tops paired with voluminous bottoms)

[​IMG]

Then yesterday I got into a discussion in the comments field about big pants vs skinny pants in a facebook group, and though the majority there prefer the slim stuff there were a couple others fans of big pants there.
    One of the commenters posted this absolutely banging pic of his outfit as an example of pants with volume

[​IMG]

So I pmd the guy in question asking about them, because I mean cmon, they look awesome and it turns out they're just some cheap womens polyester culottes off ebay. We talk a bit, seems like a cool guy with very similar favorite brands as me (Nicomede Talavera, Yang Li, Lemaire, Craig Green, though he hadn't heard of Vanotti before) and it turns out he's actually the same guy as the guy walking the runway in that top pic.

It truly is a small world [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. sipang

sipang Senior member

But on a serious note, it's true that I'm overly negative and that we live in unprecedented times of (over)abundance and easy access to all kinds of wonderful things (not always a good thing for creativity tho) but idk, unbridled optimism and talk about democratization and big vague ideas and generalities is sorta sterile or even dangerous when it turns into one big dull congratulatory echo chamber that threatens to silence voices that actually have something interesting to say. And rehashing isn't necessarily bad at all but what does it say about the state of fashion when what's hailed as a big great refreshing hope is pretty much a carbon copy of 20yr old ideas. Yeah fashion is cyclical and it could be worse but fuck that's not the way forward. I mean, the jetpack thing is not happening so I just hope the future at least belongs to GBSmallesque at the margins kind of ventures and not some dumb fuck trying to sell me 3d printed wifi pants or some PR machine that happens to make some clothes on the side.

Other than that, good times.

5. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I think a small part is that people take things way to seriously. It's just a dude(ette) that makes clothing. It's not the second coming. Relax! Smile, enjoy.

I hate the first few introduction paragraphs for designer interviews. So over the top. I would just write, I like this stuff a lot I hope y'all do too - here's the interview!

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Nothing you haven't heard of before, mostly Laboureur stuff so far. What's your verdict on Lafont trousers ? I'm thinking of getting a pair of largeot at some point (maybe I'll go with Laboureur). What I'm really interested in is boiled wool gear so it's only tangentially related to classic workwear, I've been looking into old German/Austrian brands but it hasn't really panned out so far(most brands specialize in traditional Alpine costume/hunting looking things). I had some great stuff on Manufactum but can't find it anymore. I should talk to Frank Leder.

7. sipang

sipang Senior member

I take things absolutely too seriously but that's just good old internet ranting.

It's stupid silly in the grand scheme of things of course, on the other hand you can dismiss pretty much anything that not a life and death matter saying "it's just [x]... ", arguing about trivial shit is what civilizations are built on.

8. sipang

sipang Senior member

it's not exactly brain surgery

9. sipang

sipang Senior member

Posting like a true MCer

10. worakl

worakl Senior member

I read this as "nothing you've heard of before" and thought to myself "damn, sipang has gone mental".

11. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

Lol makes me think of this sketch

But I meant more so people generate this crazy hype and emotional dedication. Just have fun with it!

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

yea was too lazy to find the utube link

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I saw some great trad. alpine stuff in Austria but, yeah, sorta hard to wear. Frank Leder + GBS is probably your best designer bet. I want some fuller pants and already got some CDG (discrete) zebra print wool pants, next stop not too sure, need to be fatter like some Branquinho.

Outfit today combines Branquinho mesh sweater (black+green version) and some Georg Materna schuhe so I feel you.

14. sipang

sipang Senior member

Yeah I'm not ready to go full Tyrol yet.

Branquinho menswear is always vaguely associated with the geographic Mitteleuropea in my mind, probably among other things because of some old Mumma fits and seeing too much 70s Derrick tv reruns as a kid.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I love Branquinho because it makes me think of Fassbinder, not 100% sure why either, the 70s decadent bourgeois touches are there I guess.

I had a long Derrick conversation recently, it really made a mark on our young psyche, I mean the whole thing is soooo sloooow. Old german people tv.