Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Just saw an 80 or so year old lady at the convience store in standard old person stretch pants and parka and whatnot rocking a pair of Margiela (they had the stitch) snakeskin GATs.. Wow. Really curious where she picked those up

2. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Pretty much what I'm saying.
    Blaming Kanye for a bad collection isn't fair (I realise it was a joke) considering he has nothing to do with what Ackerman does.
    At the same time having Kanye name drop you is certain to bring more attention (and more critics) to your work.
    Mixtape coming soon, "Haider's gonna Hate".

3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

This thread has been such a downer jadedness parade lately. PPPP had it right a few posts up-- there are a ton of designers now, and tucked away in all their collections are some wonderful new ideas. Even that Vetements ss15 show featured a handful of really cool sihouettes.

Yes, a huge chunk of what's out there is brazenly commercial but dude these peoples have bills to pay. At least they're not licensing their names to stationary companies and wine bottles.

Like Yasiin/Mos said, we are hip-hop fashion. If we're chill, then fashion is chill.

Also, I'm not impressed by how much you don't like. Let's talk about things that make us happy.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015

4. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

As long as Stephan holds me down in happy

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

can someone summarize what the deal with Schneider is? I dont get it (havent really looked in to it).

6. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

The deal ended long ago. I just keep holding on :)

Haha but really I'm not sure what you are asking

7. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

haha, just curious about a summary of Scheiders style/influences, why its good and so on. Sorry for being obscure :)

8. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Yes, that was fun. Good meeting you all! I'm back home now and missing it all already

Sayaka posted this one on IG of everyone so I figured I would share it here too

[​IMG]

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

no, only giant brands like supreme or carhartt wip are three seasons ahead. most little designers are working on FW16 right now.

10. toothsomesound

based on my impression it's not really for you, he owns his fabric mills and develops his own textiles so he'll do some interesting things with yarn dying and stripes and plaid placement. some some unusual construction details, unfinished canvasing etc. mostly too slim for your tastes, though he'll occasionally do barn coats and chore coats I could see you appreciating. he has a sense of humor. the clothes can be playful but i think people here tend toward the simple dark and textural stuff that blends in with jil, ervell etc.

11. toothsomesound

also i like vetements, I'm also the guy that was defending Vfiles a few weeks ago so there you go. I definitely feel like you guys sometimes get a little silly about the whole 'rehashing' thing, it's clothes, everyone copies everything and there isn't that much that can really be done at the end of the day. that doesn't really invalidate the work itself.

on the flip side there also aren't that many voices. I'm very happy to have one like Vetements in the mix. the hype is sort of shocking though but whatever. again this maybe goes back to the kanye convo a few weeks ago, would rather one million times have people freaking out over Vetements versus some safe generic stuff. not a bad influencer to be out in the world. I dunno.

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

yeah but I don't think the ppl that suddenly care about HA because of a name drop are the ones doing the criticism (or that the ones doing it are only doing it because of his increased popularity) is all I'm saying. it's perfectly possible being in such proximity with the Sun God fried HA brains out though.

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I was a big fan, though never a personal customer, of stuff like En Noir, when it came out - shortly before the HBA craze. I thought that that "street goth" thing brought something interesting to the conversation - mixing up sneaker culture with "artisanal" culture with luxury brands into something new and, imo, rather refreshing at the time. Vetements though, I just don't see it adding to the conversation very much. I don't see much real energy there. Clearly, I'm in the minority, but at the same time, I have always disliked HBA, and that was huge for a moment, so I'm not displeased to be in the minority position in the fashion world.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Visvim. Brands that are somewhat associated with football casuals. Leather, in all its cool forms, from Horween to C.F. Stead to Guidi. Sashiko. Things dyed indigo. Leather dyed indigo. Sample making.

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

I just like to hate.