• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never liked how my orange 5-zip fit while zipped even though I think it's super cool otherwise. I couldn't sell it so I finally deiced to try to get the waist tailored. Went to a real leather worker this time. He seemed to know his stuff, but who knows what'll happen. I don't trust any of my local tailors. I just feel like a bit of a dick trying to explain how relatively particular I am compared to the normal guy who comes in.

What kind of alteration are you getting done to it?

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We should get some kinda coat order in with S.E.H Kelly. It's been far too long.

Trit

Reaction score

What kind of alteration are you getting done to it?

See, that's why it's tricky. I've had three different sizes of 5-zips and they all the same issue for me. The drop is just so weird. The shoulders, chest, and hem are all great, it's the way the drop goes from under the pits to like the navel. It's too much leather there. I don't know who can fill that out. The pic Yoox had points it out well. No one's built like that:

So I really need the waist reshaped in a more masculine, flattering way. That's the hard part to explain and trust someone's judgement on. We'll see in two weeks.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are supposed to fit like that.

Is this you? It was in your fs thread for that jacket. It looks good. I wouldn't alter it. Too late maybe

Last edited:

Trit

Reaction score

They are supposed to fit like that.

Is this you? It was in your fs thread for that jacket. It looks good. I wouldn't alter it. Too late maybe

No, that's me. I love how it looks open. This is strictly a zipped up thing. My sister thinks I'm crazy, too. You ever have one niggling bit about a piece of clothing that keeps you from enjoying it fully? It's one of those. Not all the way logical.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wear mine zipped very well either too. It bunches on my hips. Dlester can't comment because he one of the few dudes on the planet with a body type to fit the 5-zip (hint: he's tall). I can't imagine fixing something like that is easy without throwing off the proportions of the jacket, though. I've resigned to wearing it unzipped or having it look a little awkward

Was just conditioning my wallet, here's some pics if you're into that sort of thing. Four years of daily use now. The outside snap is kinda loose now, is that a reasonable fix?

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED! T_________T

Ok, this is the plan-- I'm going to rally all my fellow robe coat fans, and we'll find someone among us who has experience making patterns, then we'll show SEH Kelly the pattern and be all like "make this", and they'll say "OK", and a few months later we will all own amazing robes made from SEH Kelly fabrics and there will be no more famine or pain or mentions of Kim Davis ever again.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Trit I agree, don't alter it. see if it isn't too late. You're admitting that it's illogical. That should tell you something.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should get some kinda coat order in with S.E.H Kelly. It's been far too long.
Styleforum will probably do some type of collaborative project next year with SEH Kelly. Would you guys be interested in it being a coat? I'm open to ideas.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coat would be sick, as would trousers.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Trit agree with the others, i wouldn't mess with it. mine bunches a little awkwardly around the hips when done up, but it's that taper that makes it looks so cool when undone, so i just wear it like that 99% of the time.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score

There are def still corners of the men's outerwear world that are seldom explored. I'd love, for example, to see more mid-priced robe-inspired coats on the market. Designers rarely make them and, when they do, it's usually something insanely expensive from a designer like Yohji or Haider. Also, the world needs more men's collarless coats, either with a deep v-neckline or a crew-neck that's more reminiscent of a mac coat (like what Lemaire did for ss16). Oh, and single-button overcoats. They rock, but hardly anyone does them.

We'll be stocking this one from Document this fall, and it's really really awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads