Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Fucked my left hand/wrist at the gym 18 months ago, which resulted in loss of feeling and constant spinning sensation in my thumb.

They ended up sending me to a neurologist, as they thought it was a nerve problem, which it wasn't and the doctor told me, there was nothing wrong with my head (hurried up and got that in writing).

Long story short, they didn't find the root of the problem and I stopped benching etc for 6 months, which made it go 99% away, so now I have something to look forward to.

2. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

@Francks I got an '8' coat as part of a yoox bingo haul- didn't love the colour so it went back but quality seemed good for the price. fit was TTS.

3. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

have you looked into a vertical mouse? i've been curious about those. and if you can, try to switch mouse hands. i did that long ago and didn't find it hard.

stuff that's worked for me: learning every keyboard control there is for what you do (including web browsing); moving to a touchscreen laptop; ice. my god, ice is a miracle. with those plus rest, though i still have a repetitive stress injury, the pain/discomfort/numbness has decreased.

supple leopard: huh, cool.

4. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Legit chiros who have full ART certifications are very useful ime. Chiros who use those trigger gun things are sheisters that may as well be selling snake oil. ART is basically just myofascial massage/soft tissue work though, which is why it works, but for the wrist nerve entrapment could be part of the issue and ART has been proven to help with that.

5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Since I now know my fish leather boot business has no chance of taking off, I've decided I'll use all the fish skins stacked up in my bedroom to open a different kind of business--

Lie down on that table over there, and I'll drape the skins one by one over your Key Energy Centers (KECs). I'll then press on those skins with my fists until the Natural Fish Energy (NFE) from the scales gets absorbed by your KECs, and all your pains, your aches, your sour feelings melt away like tears in the ocean. Fishy Chiropractors. Coming soon to a strip mall near you.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Sruli Recht fish skin dildo, it's the only way.

Make sure to send Kanye one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

7. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

My 78 year-old grandmother recently went to a chiro and he broke her ribs because he figured her ribcage needed moving. Complications with this led to her getting pneumonia and bronchitis. Almost died, still might.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yup, out in CA. I was mediocre at everything, but okay at all except for the swimming parts, which are generally minimal anyhow, and we always ended up in the to 10%. None of us looked the most cut or the most "crossfit", but we were tough and had specific skills. For some reason, for example, I could can carry lots of weight for an extended period of time. I am not a huge strong dude who can deadlift 500 lbs, and I'm not particularly fast, but our team was able to beat out a lot of other teams just due to the fact that we could keep up a consistent pace throughout. Never the fastest, never the strongest, but strong and fast enough to keep out of the main group and keep close to the main pack. I think that "gritty" would be the best way to characterize our team. Of course, it was all fighters, and most of them grinders, so that might have been expected.

The guys that everyone else on the circuit thought were hilarious were the guys who obviously worked out in the gym a lot, but had way too much bulk up "it's an athletic competition, guys, not a 'flex in the mirrow competition - but you'll look pretty awesome coming in last place!" and ran with these ridiculously inefficient strides that spoke of too much time on the treadmill and not enough time on the road and hills.

Love mountaineering and backpacking too. And those old dudes (and ladies too) are admirable and formidable. I remember being unable to keep up with a 60 year old couple who had obviously been scrambling for decades. They had that very specific muscle shape on their inner quads that come from years of walking uphill.

So, I agree with you, but I'm just going to put it out there that you just never know how your body will age. In your 20s, unless you have bad luck, you can recover from everything, build speed, build strength, and have great endurance and recovery. I would say that at least in my case, this extended into my late 30s, though I started to accumulate injuries - the knees the elbows, etc..., and I think that after that, it's just a crapshoot that is probably to a large degree genetic. And even if you are blessed genetically, you have to adjust things. For example, Bernard Hopkins, who had a career at the top levels of boxing until he was 49, nearly 50, which is insane, said that he definitely adjusted his workouts so that they did not break down his body. He did a lot of stuff in the pool to preserve his joints, He didn't spar hard like the younger guys, but worked on technique. He took breaks to rest his body, rather than pushing through. Just training smarter, rather than harder.

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Because the preorder is not for a MTM/MTO project with detailed specificatiions, but for a specific item with a specific SKU from a third party vendor. I take part in preorders, and sometimes they are great, and sometimes, not. For example, Wings+Horns sneakers were delivered with taupe instead of grey suede one season - I had 2 pairs on order (different models). Worked out fine, though I'd been looking forward to the cooler toned grey. Another thing came that just was in a wool that was not as heavy as I would have liked. Have never worn it - that was about a grand in jacket.

I might dd that, but there are so many good options of coats, and also, such a big range of styles. Even looking at something like a lighter overcoat, I see things from Stephan Schneider, Attachment, Ts(S), that have very different, and very cool, styles, not to mention upteenth number of Italian brands, I don't know what I could do to differentiate from these brands. I said yes to the leather jacket project because there are not too many leather jackets out there with a tailored shoulder construction that gives jackets that "sharpness" that makes a lot of guys looks great. Falcon now does it. Margiela and brands like Brioni do it, but they use leather that is too thin and drapey to hold that structure. I love traditional jackets, but they don't do that silhouette or shoulder. Apart from all the cool techninal stuff, this is what makes Norwegian rain coats looks so sharp - the use of a tailored sleevehead rather than the typical lapped seam sleevehead.

10. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

There are def still corners of the men's outerwear world that are seldom explored. I'd love, for example, to see more mid-priced robe-inspired coats on the market. Designers rarely make them and, when they do, it's usually something insanely expensive from a designer like Yohji or Haider. Also, the world needs more men's collarless coats, either with a deep v-neckline or a crew-neck that's more reminiscent of a mac coat (like what Lemaire did for ss16). Oh, and single-button overcoats. They rock, but hardly anyone does them.

11. chupas

chupas Senior member

Asked this in another thread and got no help, and it seems like this is the best thread to ask since there are a good number of bay people: any recs for solid basic alterations on the peninsula? I know pretty much anyone can do a serviceable job with hems, but I'm also looking to get a few pants tapered and/or taken in and some jacket sleeves shortened. Yelp is a cesspool of entitled ignorance so I have no idea which reviews to trust.

12. Trit

Trit Senior member

I never liked how my orange 5-zip fit while zipped even though I think it's super cool otherwise. I couldn't sell it so I finally deiced to try to get the waist tailored. Went to a real leather worker this time. He seemed to know his stuff, but who knows what'll happen. I don't trust any of my local tailors. I just feel like a bit of a dick trying to explain how relatively particular I am compared to the normal guy who comes in.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Not on the peninsula, but Franz Custom Tailors in the city does good work. They're just kind of expensive. If you can make it to Berkeley, I recommend Advanced European Tailors. They're quite good, and can do leather work as well.

14. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Fashion Tailor Alterations in San Mateo is where I go, she's done work on my knits to leather jackets of mine, there's also a cobbler a couple doors down, prices are good.

15. chupas

chupas Senior member

^ Perfect, thanks man.