Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Just to follow up on my Yang Li green bomber pre-order, not that anyone probably cares, but just in case!

Retailer apparently talked with the manufacturer and offered a 40 euro discount which was supposedly a discount from wholesale from Yang Li to the retailer that they were going to pass onto me.

I said nah, thanks for making the effort, was unexpected and appreciated, but there's no need for that. Just wanted to know if there's anything we can do to mitigate the risk in the future, if not going to quit pre-ordering which probably is the sensible thing to do given my risk tolerance on this.

2. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Man I've been wanting some greyish Margiela boots (cant find any that are cuban heeled) I think I'll just have to accept it and get any nice pair I can find. Do you mind posting a quick pic of yours?

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I wouldn't have accepted that jacket either and €40 is nowhere near enough.

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

Yeah it was a low offer -- I mean who knows if he really did talk to them or not -- but if its between believing that he made the effort and that was what he could get vs believing that its some sort of condescending backhanded token placation move -- it doesn't seem worth it to feel out the unhappy path.

I mean dude definitely reads these forums, so maybe my post triggered the offer, who knows, but I try not to go too deep into the conspiracy thing, at least not seriously. And it doesn't seem productive to be upset or pursue things further.

Sadly in the end I'd rather have the jacket, hope its not terrible in person, than take store credit.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

In the end the shiny arms win. That's how it's always been.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

If you've ever seen Guidi's owner you know tacky is the appropriate word but yeah, within the goth-ninja world I don't think tacky can be used meaningfully as many designers are purposefully playing with the concept (say Rick Owens with Susan Sontag’s camp) or playing entirely outside the world of bourgeois good taste or any oppositional movement (CCP).

From a more generalist styleforum dresser who might care about integrating those I find that depending on your wardrobe, classic blacks (for mine) or certain classic shade of brown (for you) are the easiest to pull off.

With that said, considering the Guidi aesthetic, I’d think they’d have classic blacks but would use all kinds of discrete shades of grey, mottled green, oxblood and they do have samples in those. Not the safest buy from most stores to have in abundance. I believe most people wearing Gothninja brands just haven’t understood exactly what is at play and still approach it through a classic good taste paradigm and a lot of mental jumping through hoops, hence conservative choices in a look that anything-but to almost everybody else.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I'm flying to NYC so they're packed, can't find a pic online. Got them at a sample sale so not sure they were ever produced. I think you'd like the shape but maybe you'd prefer something with a bigger heel. Will post pic when I have time and tag you. Also they're size 41 and may have been women/models/whatever.

8. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

Much appreciated man

9. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

Phew, we New Yorkers dodged a bullet. It's a good thing the Pope is visiting on this Friday and not next, when the Lemaire collaboration takes place.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  10. Naka

Naka Senior member

It's a sign from above

11. absolem

absolem Member

I saw Uri Minkoff talk yesterday. It was pretty interesting, but not so much from a fashion perspective as a business one. He sad a lot of normal stuff about disrupting with technology and what not. What got me was when he talked about the idea for the men's line and who he wants as clients. Minkoff basically said the same things that LA Guy did the other day when he was complaining about tech-bros and Totokaelo, except with the opposite opinion of them. He wants a rich programmer that is interested in fashion to the extent that it allows him to one-up the people who made fun of him in high school, or something. I found it quite amusing that he spent several minutes talking about how interesting these people are right after I'd seen them crucified on SF as boring. He also spent a few minutes on developing markets, and after telling us how important they'll be he started talking about them as if they were just like america. One refreshing aspect though, was that he seemed keenly aware of what his "disruptive tech" is useful for and what its not, "pain points" and all that. My take away was that the business isn't particularly fashion-y. It seems like its structure and ideas could be just as effectively applied to any other "designed" consumer good and be successful/disruptive there.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree that those dudes would make great customers, and I have, on more than one occasion, help kit out a store with exactly those guys in mind, but it doesn't make them less boring as someone who is actually interested in clothes as interesting objects in and of themselves. But, as a business minded guy, show me the money, and I'll build out your store, no problem. Those stores just hold no interest for me, personally, and those were my personal, not business, opinions. The Venn diagram intersection of guys who can afford "fashion" (not guys who trawl eBay obsessively for used CCP, guys who and go in and shell out retail, and will, regularly) and those who want it, is small, and not necessarily the most knowledgeable or experienced people, and as a retailer, you have to cater to them to stay alive. Dudes who eat cookies for months to afford a single jacket are not going to pay your bills.

Also, Uri Minkoff comes to to tech from fashion. I am, at heart, an old academic, and tech people, although I admire a lot of the grit and innovation that they bring to the table, don't have the fascination of the outsider for me.

13. absolem

absolem Member

yeah, the business is a great one (clearly) and that sort make pretty good customers. The contrast seemed humorous, since he spent time talking about how personally interesting tech people and millenials are.

14. chupas

chupas Senior member

Good looking out, California...

[​IMG]

15. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

In b4 BCD! joke about chewing boots