1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Distinguished Member

Yeah, I talked to Yang Li a few weeks ago, and he told me, "You know what I've been into lately? Really shiny arms."

And then when we hugged goodbye, I felt an unpleasant oily substance and asked him what it was. "Oh, I've been rubbing vaseline on my arms. Keeps them shiny."

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Is it leather? Looks like leather to me, though satin on military wool is more unusual and surprising.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Distinguished Member

That's why I said it's not the retailers fault and mentioned that maybe they can negotiate a whole sale price discount with the manufacturer when things change that drastically and pass the savings to the end customer.

So -- with that in mind is what you said still applicable? I mean I get how the pre-order business model works and why no refunds or discounts can be offered, but maybe I'm missing a nuance that you are trying to convey to me.

I'm sure there's still a lack of knowledge at play -- and maybe this is just one of the fundamental risks of pre-ordering, but having experienced this once I will probably stop pre-ordering -- and given how pre-order centric some retailers have become, maybe trying to negotiate something to mitigate this risk will help their expanding pre-order business.

And maybe that's just an unrealistic hope given how the industry works, but clearly technology is changing the industry so maybe with time it is more of a realistic hope.

Edit: The sleeves are a poly/silk blend from what I understand (which is what the body was supposed to be) and they were supposed to be a cotton/silk blend (the body is instead 100% wool with some sort of shitty texture).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

4. accordion

accordion Distinguished Member

5. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i was there a couple weeks back, the carrot cake is quite nice as is the rest of the cafeteria , absurd prices notwithstanding. the rest of the store wasn't that interesting compared to the london one (and i assume the tokyo one)

6. LA Guy

It has nothing to do with the industry, and everything to do with the balance of power, like pretty much everything else. If this was not a small retailer, but, say, Bergdorf's (so, Neiman Marcus), Neiman's would say "You are going to redo every single fucking jacket, tomorrow, or I will make sure you never do business in this universe again." And Yang Li would probably be like "Oh shit" and possibly take out out a gigantic loan and call in every single favor needed, to make this happen.

Or, perhaps, the change was made at the factory, and the factory owns Yang Li (this is a common scenario), and they told Yang LI "this is what we did, you had better fucking get your retailers to say okay, or you can go back to living in a shack, sewing 2 pieces a day for a living. Good luck on finding retailers, since the contacts belong to us. Oh, and if you walk, hand over your social media and email accounts as well."

The lack of knowledge is in your not knowing which of many scenarios is the right one. Ditto me.

7. Abraxis

Right so maybe one day -- technology will change the nature of production and the balance of power will shift -- and there will be more control over production than whatever the factories throw back to them, changing the nature of the relationship between retailers and manufacturing. I mean maybe it's too pie in the sky to hold my breath, but not holding my breath. 3d printing??? One can hope.

I'm not entirely sure how you divorce the balance of power and the industry?

8. chupas

chupas Senior Member

Geoffrey B. Small recounted his own experience with almost exactly this (and rather vividly) over at SZ not too long ago. It might have even been linked in this thread.

9. LA Guy

It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility, but even then, the power dynamic between retailer and vendor will exist. Of course, the entire industry can shirt because of technology, and render one of those obsolete - the music industry is the obvious example. RIP Tower Records.

Fashion is notoriously anti-tech though, There are still a lot of companies who still do orders using paper and pencil, and... Fax. Seriously.

10. Abraxis

Nod, so is real estate another industry that is ridiculously hard to innovate in or improve.

I am hopeful though. I feel like we are starting to see the beginnings of a shift in power in who decides what gets made into TV whereas before networks had all the power because that was where the real money is and the eyeballs.

This factored of course into production capabilities and decisions especially once a certain level of production value was expected in a network show.

And then due to risk mitigation necessary when doing expensive ventures -- what kind of content and who it might offend is currently a fairly very evaluated and policed thing.

But I think technology has offered content new avenues to eyeballs and dollars e.g. Netflix and its streaming brethren and technology has also offered new ways to produce the content that require less infrastructure, man power, and capital investment e.g. youtube stars.

It's all a bit half baked still, but things keep on getting better so...

My hope is talent and quality content flow away from the power of network television towards less restrictive platforms and conservative christians have less of a say as to what kind of content is available to me.

Might be hard to parallel this to the clothing industry, or maybe I'm totally off base, but fingers crossed.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Real estate is insanely easy to innovate in, as there hasn't been any innovation since modernism.

Some of the big developers in NY, Miami, London, Stockholm etc have begun to show how easy it is and they are doing some really interesting stuff.

12. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior Member

@jonthegold YES bring the backpack. Definitely. We all love accessories, they're everything. Make sure to fill it with silly string and violently loud confetti poppers. Get there and don't talk to anyone until your thoroughly drunk enough to make a complete mockery of everyone in attendance, including yourself, by violating all of them with silly string from your backpack. Pass out the confetti poppers and encourage everyone to imbibe, and pop confetti, its a party right!? Once your out of party supplies, stuff that backypacky with all the hors d'oeuvres you can get, pull the drawstring, clip the buckles, zip a zipper, and get the fuck out of there, go eat on some rooftop and continue mocking all in attendance. You will have the best time. Glad I could help!

13. nicelynice

nicelynice Distinguished Member

Women have so many cool options for bags. Feel like the manbag division hasn't progressed rapidly enough in the last couple years, especially in terms of smaller bags (like A4-sized). Briefcase-type bags and heavy totes are killer on my shoulders and/or don't leave my hands free. Need a shoulder bag so I can continue posting on SF during my commute

14. Benesyed

Benesyed Distinguished Member

I'm the opposite! I want a huge leather messenger bag and a c&c backpack

15. Mulan

Mulan Distinguished Member

Finally cooling off on the East coast.
    [​IMG]