Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

My reply about measuring social mobility wasn't really directed at you, but for both of those they only look at education. I'm not saying it hasn't improved, but at the same time I don't think you should only look at education. The government now says too many are getting a bachelor's degree/they want more to have erhvervsuddannelser (not sure what that'd be in English) so in 20 years we'll probably see a different statistic and there's also a difference in who gets the good jobs depending on how much social/economic/cultural capital they have from their background. And then there's the fact that the Gini coefficient is rising.

2. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

All I'm taking away from FF is that janitors better wise the f*ck up and make the next tinderbook or they better get used to not mattering at all as a person

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I know, but they do give an idea of how they measure it.

They are called trade schools.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

If you got that out of my posts I need to learn how to explain myself better, because that couldn't be further from the truth.

5. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I'm misrepresenting you. Welcome to american politics.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Ftfy

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I wish I had that kind of money.

Then again,

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

This is an absurd discussion...

You cannot affirm the absolute value of individual sense-experience over (second-hand) data-based and model-based (imperfect) attempts at representing the world and then go from your singular sense-experience to generalized principles. If you're so keen on seeing things from your lived-in viewpoint then just affirm that from what you have seen there are several people who didn't start rich and became rich (how do you know what is rich without comparing with some data??) but do not attempt at making any formal representations or general laws out of this, you're merely falling into the nasty trap of academia.

With that said it is important go consider how models and general laws, by their very nature, gloss over singular experience, reducing lives to statistics and their trajectories to pre-determined paths. The constant tension between the deterministic impulses the of social sciences and the feeling of choice and wonder we experience is a reminder of the imperfect way we are able to capture the human experience.

9. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

So do you all think it's safe to say that class status isn't as fluid as sexuality

10. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Lets move this talk to CE guys before I start handing out fines.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

BTW I'll be in NYC this weekend and might have some time to meet as I go to DSM or whatever, hit me up if we interact here in any meaningful way.

12. habitant

habitant Senior member

snobbed.

13. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

But if the question is "has social mobility increased/decreased (on average)", isnt the exakt answer we want one based on statistics, rather than a deep phenomenological account of the experiences of a single individual? In the next step , after statistics, it would be attractive to construct models (agent-based) that can show which individual level factors can create/hinder social mobility. Still, that would be the answer to a different question than somethin about the singular experience. Beyond something like a rational choice or belief/desire/oppertunity model, I really think indiviudal experiences are epiphenomenonal for understanding social behavior/society.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  14. hennree

hennree Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

starts again Monday, for anyone interested.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Well, when I refer to "data", im thinking of published results. For instance, with income as a rough proxy, you could relate parents income to the next generations income (and of course control for inflation and market tendencies). Its not too complicated.