• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chupas

Reaction score
1% is 1% for a reason, it takes an insane amount of work to get there, no matter where you start out, which only very few are willing to. Some rate getting of work at 2pm and spending the entire evening with the children higher and live within the means of that premise. Northern Europe has highest social equality of anywhere, so the gap between poor and rich isn't as big as it is in f.ex the US.

So the question is probably more do people have a lesser desire to "make it" now than 30 years ago, as lower middle class is not an undesirable place to be, compared to 30 years ago, at least here in Scandinavia.

I still haven't found any proof to support the professors statement from the program, more the contrary.
I've taken the liberty of editing this down to just the parts that are responsive to SuperB0bo's point.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't there some struggle youth activity you have to part take in? Instead of coming up with snarky comments.

^^ and that contradictory proof would be the type of examples you have mentioned? I dont know if mobility in Denmark has increased or decreased but I know that your own limited sampling and gut feeling cant answer if that is the case. Statistics are need.

I assume you can read danish. (written by the professor who made the claim).

https://www.ug.dk/flereomraader/vid...-uddannelsesmobilitet-i-danmark-martin-d-munk

http://ufm.dk/publikationer/2014/filer-2014/Faktaark-om-social-mobilitet-publikation.pdf

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying my best to avoiding snark, could I suggest that Finn is confusing necessary conditions with sufficient, in his premise regarding social mobility (hard work, long hours, etc.) and confusing evidence with proof (I know a self-made billionaire) with regards to whether conditions for social mobility are better now than 30 years ago?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1% is 1% for a reason, it takes an insane amount of work to get there, no matter where you start out, which only very few are willing to. Some rate getting of work at 2pm and spending the entire evening with the children higher and live within the means of that premise. Northern Europe has highest social equality of anywhere, so the gap between poor and rich isn't as big as it is in f.ex the US.

So the question is probably more do people have a lesser desire to "make it" now than 30 years ago, as lower middle class is not an undesirable place to be, compared to 30 years ago, at least here in Scandinavia.

I still haven't found any proof to support the professors statement from the program, more the contrary.
fwiw, I know quite a few (I exaggerate, I really mean a handful of people,) in the 1% who never get out of bed before 9:30, maybe 10 a.m., and really, don't spend that much time working. One dude is inordinately proud of doing as little as possible. He takes a lot of trips down to the Bahamas. Passive income ftw, yo.

I know one dude who essentially refuses to see people. He is in that rarified 0.1%

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying my best to avoiding snark, could I suggest that Finn is confusing necessary conditions with sufficient, in his premise regarding social mobility (hard work, long hours, etc.) and confusing evidence with proof (I know a self-made billionaire) with regards to whether conditions for social mobility are better now than 30 years ago?
You too? I met Mark Zuckerberg once, when they were just starting out, and I thought "Hmmm. A social networking site for the Ivy's, cute idea.". when what I should have thought was "Will you allow me to invest my (rather meager) life savings with your Facebook?" Does that count?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fwiw, I know quite a few (I exaggerate, I really mean a handful of people,)  in the 1% who never get out of bed before 9:30, maybe 10 a.m., and really, don't spend that much time working. One dude is inordinately proud of doing as little as possible.  He takes a lot of trips down to the Bahamas.  Passive income ftw, yo.

I know one dude who essentially refuses to see people.  He is in that rarified 0.1%

Those guys are always a good laugh, they really do not give a **** about anything.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A random fashion thought from a spoiled brat of a 41 year old man:

"Why the **** are my reverse horse Guidi 017's still not done?  I ordered them in January..."

Guidi has been bought by an investment firm led by Drew Keith.

Time to make a thread "The Guidi debacle".

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You too? I met Mark Zuckerberg once, when they were just starting out, and I thought "Hmmm. A social networking site for the Ivy's, cute idea.". when what I should have thought was "Will you allow me to invest my (rather meager) life savings with your Facebook?" Does that count?
I was actually referring to Finn's "evidence" with that comment, but perhaps multi-millionaire would have been better there.
I do, however, know a very well-known tech billionaire (somewhat, my wife knows him quite well, having vacationed in the same place as his family for 30+ years) and a number in the $100MM range.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually referring to Finn's "evidence" with that comment, but perhaps multi-millionaire would have been better there.
I do, however, know a very well-known tech billionaire (somewhat, my wife knows him quite well, having vacationed in the same place as his family for 30+ years) and a number in the $100MM range.
I need to figure out how to deliver funny stories better.

If any of them are interested in buying Styleforum and or any of my other businesses, I will walk away from it all for $35MM. (0).

Landscape

Reaction score
^^ and that contradictory proof would be the type of examples you have mentioned? I dont know if mobility in Denmark has increased or decreased but I know that your own limited sampling and gut feeling cant answer if that is the case. Statistics are need.

But how do you want the statistics? I'm not saying social mobility has increased or decreased, just saying you can't find a book with statistics and then find data saying "social mobility". There'd have to be some scientists determining which factors determine social mobility and by how much, therefore it's not as easy to find data.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1% is 1% for a reason, it takes an insane amount of work to get there, no matter where you start out, which only very few are willing to.

For some people, it doesn't take much work at all to get there. They inherit it, have dumb luck or incredible timing. And once someone gives you a decent nut to build on, you are off and running.

If I had to guess, the hardest working part of the 1% are typically the poor chumps on the low end, around $350,000. Not the people who have $1 billion.

To me, the people doing insane amounts of work are the ones out there picking fruit in the noon sun. That is work.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Landscape, See the two links I posted further up, they are both by the ministry of education and the bottom one is only a couple months old.

Last edited:

thewho13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This article from the Economist (2014) suggests that class mobility hasn't changed very much in the past 40 years, but given the widening gap between the rich and the poor, "the consequences of an accident of birth have become bigger." And there's also the concern that "living standards for the non-elite will stagnate for a long time."

Also, there's this video from the Brookings Institute. I haven't watch it yet, but it looks topical.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads