Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. chupas

chupas Senior member

I've taken the liberty of editing this down to just the parts that are responsive to SuperB0bo's point.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Isn't there some struggle youth activity you have to part take in? Instead of coming up with snarky comments.

I assume you can read danish. (written by the professor who made the claim).

https://www.ug.dk/flereomraader/vid...-uddannelsesmobilitet-i-danmark-martin-d-munk

http://ufm.dk/publikationer/2014/filer-2014/Faktaark-om-social-mobilitet-publikation.pdf

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

3. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Trying my best to avoiding snark, could I suggest that Finn is confusing necessary conditions with sufficient, in his premise regarding social mobility (hard work, long hours, etc.) and confusing evidence with proof (I know a self-made billionaire) with regards to whether conditions for social mobility are better now than 30 years ago?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

fwiw, I know quite a few (I exaggerate, I really mean a handful of people,) in the 1% who never get out of bed before 9:30, maybe 10 a.m., and really, don't spend that much time working. One dude is inordinately proud of doing as little as possible. He takes a lot of trips down to the Bahamas. Passive income ftw, yo.

I know one dude who essentially refuses to see people. He is in that rarified 0.1%

5. LA Guy

You too? I met Mark Zuckerberg once, when they were just starting out, and I thought "Hmmm. A social networking site for the Ivy's, cute idea.". when what I should have thought was "Will you allow me to invest my (rather meager) life savings with your Facebook?" Does that count?

6. LA Guy

A random fashion thought from a spoiled brat of a 41 year old man:

"Why the fuck are my reverse horse Guidi 017's still not done? I ordered them in January..."

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Those guys are always a good laugh, they really do not give a fuck about anything.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Guidi has been bought by an investment firm led by Drew Keith.

Time to make a thread "The Guidi debacle".

9. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I was actually referring to Finn's "evidence" with that comment, but perhaps multi-millionaire would have been better there.
    I do, however, know a very well-known tech billionaire (somewhat, my wife knows him quite well, having vacationed in the same place as his family for 30+ years) and a number in the $100MM range.

10. LA Guy

I need to figure out how to deliver funny stories better.

If any of them are interested in buying Styleforum and or any of my other businesses, I will walk away from it all for $35MM. (0).

11. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

But how do you want the statistics? I'm not saying social mobility has increased or decreased, just saying you can't find a book with statistics and then find data saying "social mobility". There'd have to be some scientists determining which factors determine social mobility and by how much, therefore it's not as easy to find data.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

For some people, it doesn't take much work at all to get there. They inherit it, have dumb luck or incredible timing. And once someone gives you a decent nut to build on, you are off and running.

If I had to guess, the hardest working part of the 1% are typically the poor chumps on the low end, around $350,000. Not the people who have $1 billion.

To me, the people doing insane amounts of work are the ones out there picking fruit in the noon sun. That is work.

13. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

Waiting on 2 paris from an order in December

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

@Landscape, See the two links I posted further up, they are both by the ministry of education and the bottom one is only a couple months old.

15. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

This article from the Economist (2014) suggests that class mobility hasn't changed very much in the past 40 years, but given the widening gap between the rich and the poor, "the consequences of an accident of birth have become bigger." And there's also the concern that "living standards for the non-elite will stagnate for a long time."

Also, there's this video from the Brookings Institute. I haven't watch it yet, but it looks topical.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]