• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a rip-offs thread although I think we'd be safer calling it something along the lines of 'Highly coincidental similarities in design...' or words to that effect.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the point is of some of these anecdotal arguments (Ex -uber guy gets rich 'proves' mobility, A.P. Møller and Mærsk 'proves' big house theory, etc).... using singular examples does not prove that a theory is invalid or incorrect.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would it be fun or at all useful to have a "rip-offs" [or "precedents"] thread?

Carven fw12, $1,095

Incotex fw15, $1,115

I like the idea of a rip-offs thread although I think we'd be safer calling it something along the lines of 'Highly coincidental similarities in design...' or words to that effect.

Now we have our own:
Highly coincidental similarities in design: rip-offs, precedents and heavy-handed inspiration

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not sure what the point is of some of these anecdotal arguments (Ex -uber guy gets rich 'proves' mobility, A.P. Møller and Mærsk 'proves' big house theory, etc).... using singular examples does not prove that a theory is invalid or incorrect.

You are missing the point, they are examples as direct answers to comments or questions, not arguments. You can find multiple examples of both.

I don't think it would be more interesting if there was 50-100 examples, as no one would read them, but point taken next time I will post 50 examples and expect you to read them. ;)

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I chose to use examples in companies / people most people know, using Joe Millionaire no one knows, would defeat the purpose, as it could be made up. Most really frugal millionaires are unknown, so you could be living next to one and not know it.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I chose to use examples in companies / people most people know, using Joe Millionaire no one knows, would defeat the purpose, as it could be made up. Most really frugal millionaires are unknown, so you could be living next to one and not know it.
I think that it would be stupid to not think that a fair number of people "Make it big" from little capital. However, even if you had 10K examples, it still represents an exceedingly small fraction of the population, even if you only count people in Europe and North America. Statistically, your assertions about social mobility are simply not borne out, at least not in the USA.

This from Pew research. It's fairly robust: http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...015/07/economic-mobility-in-the-united-states

While some people will definitely beat the odds, I don't think that the exhortations to "work harder, poors" is necessarily good public policy.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit: didnt see LA Guy´s post..

giving examples that social mobility is possible does not in anyway address if it has increased/decreased, which was the original point. The mere possibility is hardly surprising, but if it its one in a million or ten million salient example of someone "making it" does not disprove to the overall point that social mobility is rare and restricted (if it is). Hence, actual data is needed to make these points.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1% is 1% for a reason, it takes an insane amount of work to get there, no matter where you start out, which only very few are willing to. Some rate getting of work at 2pm and spending the entire evening with the children higher and live within the means of that premise. Northern Europe has highest social equality of anywhere, so the gap between poor and rich isn't as big as it is in f.ex the US.

So the question is probably more do people have a lesser desire to "make it" now than 30 years ago, as lower middle class is not an undesirable place to be, compared to 30 years ago, at least here in Scandinavia.

I still haven't found any proof to support the professors statement from the program, more the contrary.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ and that contradictory proof would be the type of examples you have mentioned? I dont know if mobility in Denmark has increased or decreased but I know that your own limited sampling and gut feeling cant answer if that is the case. Statistics are need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads