Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's not decreased that's for sure. Internationalisation has made it easier for people to create a very succesful business in a very short period of time, tech is a good example of this. There has never been more young selfmade billionaire as now, so claiming it to getting more difficult is just not true.

The same guy also claimed that you need to be well educated for it to be possible, which I find questionable.

2. chupas

chupas Senior member

JFC I'm getting Poe's Law'd hard right now.

3. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Was he Danish? While it may be easier in Denmark due to our welfare system, I'm pretty sure it isn't the case in the US. Globalisation also affects unskilled workers negatively in developed countries, so there's that.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

nm.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

7. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Edit: sorry, nm again.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Maybe you should change your name to "Ninja edit". ;)

I personally think it's directly relevant to the discussion a few pages back about tech and big data, but they may just be me.

9. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I don't know if its harder or less-harder now to rise from the middle class that in the past, Intuitevly I would say that you're correct, it seems like increase wealth has correlated with the rise of the internet/apps. I haven't read the article dieworkwear posted, or anything else (that I can recall) on the topic, so I admit I'm speaking from a place of ignorance. However, what I have an issue with is you dismissing the professor's statement—who I assume has researched the topic, thought about it for many years, discussed with their peers, attends seminars led by peers, etc—just because you don't think it's true. It's just hearsay, and to have an argument over it is, like, not good ok

10. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

prep your liver (0). learn korean drinking etiquette. these will earn you massive brownie points with koreans.

what do you want to do in korea? that's probably the most important question.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The forum killed my first reply, so here we go again.

He and his peers are probably 50+ academics, who sit around discussing things, they don't experience or have no direct experience with, a bit like ministers, who get some great idea, which ends up being terrible.

As an entrepreneur myself, my peers and our experiences, who all are below 40, I think he is wrong, so my views come from what I would say is an experienced standpoint.

Is it more difficult to get a bank loan now than 30 years ago probably yes. 30 years ago VC and PE didn't exist or at least not on the same level, which means nowadays its actually easier to get funding for your project than it was back then, as any idiot with an idea and a business case can call up a VC and end up with a 50 million dollar investment. This means you don't need 20% yourself and someone to co-sign at the bank. This alone makes it easier to create a very successful business for everyone, as you need 0.

Also people are starting very different types of businesses now than they did then, back then it was brick and mortar, which is as much the case now as everything happens online.

My main gripe is still his statement that you need to be well educated to succeed, this is only true if you want to go the employee route and is that really the best route? for self employed it doesn't really matter.

I'll shut up about it now.

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

you've been on a CE tear lately for some reason. nobody killed anything, your point was well taken and i think you're correct about a lot of it, but i think you've made some big assumptions. it's not any idiot that can pitch any garbage and get funded. the landscape is more sophisticated than that and while true that traditional education does not inherently determine success, you can't be a braindead plumber that tomorrow wakes up with a glorious app idea that solves everyone's drainage issues.

First, let's suppose you are very popular and close with 100-200 people whose financial situations you know with enough intimacy. Assuming overall there are 1bn people in the developed world who are afforded the opportunities you are, that's still not even a hundredth of a percent of the developed world's pop so your annectdotal obesrvation is just that and not really an indication of any trend. Hence why a researcher needs to investigate (the said researcher could very well be crap and just writing out of his whatever to keep funding grants, that's a different argument). In this case, the death of expertise has trumped: http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

Second, it's been demonstrated that downward mobility has [also] increased, and location is very strong indicator of your chances
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/b...e-ladder-location-matters.html?pagewanted=all
    http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-fall-of-the-american-worker
    http://www.fastcoexist.com/3049643/the-american-dream-is-dead-heres-where-it-went

Tangentially related, obsession with monetary success can lead to being a terrible human being http://qz.com/137754/economics-is-making-us-greedier/

tl;dnr : if you don't have $50M in your bank account right now i'm calling you out for nonsense poast receipt

13. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Social mobility varies a lot throughout the world. Denmark has much greater social mobility than the UK for example - ours is dire and has been declining since the 1970's. Plenty of links to statistics here: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/may/22/social-mobility-data-charts (three year's old but no evidence that it's improved since).