Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. accordion

accordion Senior member

There's a couple of Maseratis around my campus, pretty tame compared to the video, but it inevitably creates tension among students. I've had people complain to me in bars about how the Chinese international students in their classes talk all day about expensive clothing and vacation plans, and apparently it's okay to tell me that because I'm Chinese American so not "one of them." I always try to explain how the culture is different, especially regarding independence and self-reliance, meanwhile a lot of noveau rich Chinese don't understand that American parents often don't give their kids spending money even if the family can afford it. Again, this varies school by school, public vs. private, etc. But in general, I agree that driving a car that costs more than the four-year tuition is in bad taste. But on the other hand, those kids are young and most people their age would do the same if they could. The only thing I'm truly annoyed by is how many pairs of Balenciaga Arenas I see everyday. It's like the Chinese noveau riche's go-to sneaker.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I feel like we talk about this every few months. While their kids are going to community college wearing full Givenchy and Rick, their parents are buying $1 million+ houses sight unseen to stay vacant until the younger sibling is old enough to be sent over too.

It's not unique to China, see Middle Eastern summer vacationers in London/LA (a LA the recent Qatari LaFerrari vid) or Russian oligarchs.

Plenty of older money Americans in the Bay still who try and turn their noses up.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

3. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I want my kids to have to work really hard. I actually was fortunate that my parents bought me toys etc when i was a kid but it definitely was SO satisfying to work my first job, get a paycheck, and then think oh god what is really worth spending this on.

I f'd up and spent some of it on trashy yoox. But still.

4. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

^Pretty much true though. I remember when I was working retail, parents would visit their children who were attending school here, and I've seen some who would buy them hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry as graduation presents and what not. I was hanging out with a former coworker recently who was asking about watches for her husband, and I joked with her and said she might as well just buy him an M3 since her commission from this one girl finishing up grad school would cover it.

On a related note/actual RFT, when I first met my CEO outside the Mint Plaza Blue Bottle, he was wearing FBTs and I was wearing Virgils. Nowadays I almost always see him in the same clothes, but wearing brown Island Dunks instead lol.

5. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Trying to get a lining added to my Guidi bag. More complicated than I thought. Would have been around $150 if it was just REPLACING the lining, easy enough, but measuring it out and figuring how to put it in there is gonna drive up the cost. They'll likely have to take the handles off on one side due to the construction of the inner pocket (it's attached to them) and then replace the rivets holding them on. What a hassle. If anyone has experience with this type of stuff, let me know. Is this even gonna work since the bag fully unzips? It's heading to the factory or wherever they do this sort of thing for an estimate right now

My bag is black, but yeah:
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna do the lining in this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Once it gets to afermarket mods like that, it always gets expensive. Getting motorcycle jacket arms to replace arms of the denm jacket is $275. Not terrible, right? But getting the back yoke covered, and then the front top panels? About $225 each. So, $725 for just the mods, not including the price of the jacket. More than the price of a full leather jacket made from scratch. Worth it? Yes, if you have something specific in mind, but otherwise, it can be cheaper to just get something custom made.

7. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

yeah, that interior pocket will be the problem. IF (big if) you find someone who will sew it in by hand, it would be a lot easier, but nobody does that anywhere so maybe you know someone with a grandmother that will do handsewing.

I can't see how the interior pocket is attached, but if there's enough room to cut it out and then sew it to the lining and then sew the whole shebang back into the bag at once, that could be a possibility.

What's the big rectangle in the center? Just an additional piece of leather to re-enforce the bottom of the bag?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

8. habitant

habitant Senior member

I'm looking to buy a Larose ballcap. How do they compare to Ebbets? Other than being more than double the cost.

9. LA Guy

I feel like anyone who wants a blazer that is not basic black Euro-minimalist, or all arte povera, or full on classic menswear, should take a look at something like Jun Hashimoto's crazy Prince-of-Wales jacket:
    http://junhashimoto.jp/fs/junhashimoto/all/1031520021
    [​IMG]

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Interesting, but definitely one for the skinny dudes

11. Landscape

Landscape Senior member

Gojira in 1999. Pretty cool for a band playing progressive death metal.

[​IMG]

12. typethetext2

typethetext2 Member

Yes, but they'll never be Stanley van Buren, will they?

What they want more than anything else, is, of course, to be white. They'll never be. No amount of English upper-crust boarding school, elocution lessons, vocal chord lengthening surgery, tongue reshaping, facial reshaping surgery, eye reshaping surgery, plastic surgery, height enhancement surgery, liposuction, tummy tuck, skin bleaching, hairbleach and dying, hipster diet, coke binge drinking....nothing, absolutely nothing...will turn them into Stanley van Buren.

It's like the saying Money can't buy you happiness. For Asian people, it ought to be Money can't buy you whiteness.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

13. LA Guy

True. I am a 40 US/UK. and a size 5 in most of his stuff fits me. That is his largest, huge guy, size. I am not a huge guy except by some fashion people and/or Japanese standards. When I went to Austra for the very first time, I walked into a bar, where, I will swear this before all, no man was under 6'3", and not woman was under 6'.

14. LA Guy

Trying to order a Viridi Ann work cap or some style like that. It would be much easier if I knew a word of Japanese other than "arrigato" and random phrases about clothing.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Have you been to Holland?

Swear that i was average height there (im 6´4)..