Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

@grintricha

^ you should do it dude. I haven't seen OS in a minute and that jacket looks alright, but the color is nice.

brown is always a hard sell and it bums me out because it's such a great and versatile color..it's been a bit more popular lately but I think consumers and designers still hesitate to use it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

2. Spehsmonkey

Spehsmonkey Senior member

3. toothsomesound

^ yes you're right, was being a bit coy

4. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Don't think you meant to quote me on that one but I second the notion that @Grintricha should buy that bomber.

5. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

The first thing I said about him was "I'm no great fan of Michael Bastian." I don't own any of his clothes, I've never lusted after any but some plain cashmere cableknits years ago, and I don't know anything about his operations because I stopped paying attention to his existence around the time Cucinelli stopped manufacturing for him -- Google suggests that was 2010. I have a lingering impression based on what I've handled in stores and seen on eBay; to me (rightly or wrongly) he represents kiddified luxury-prep, a sort of low-risk dilution of / variation on the impulse at the heart of Thom Browne. I don't know about anything he's doing with Uniqlo, nor do I really want to. But clothes with his name on them, while they may have bored me or left me cold, have never made me cringe (apparently they have you); and we both feel the opposite way about Kanye's output.

I wouldn't for a moment suggest Bastian is any kind of visionary, and I would probably concede that Kanye has a more interesting "vision" for clothing than Bastian. But vision isn't execution, and for me it usually comes down to the wearability and desirability of individual garments; I have seen that occasionally from Bastian, but I've never felt it toward anything from Kanye's label or any of his past shoe collaborations. Demonstrating that Bastian's runway shows / designs are low-brow, or whatever other negative attribute, would not really affect my point.

I think you are right about the CM perspective, though there aren't a whole lot of shirt + tie + sweater type fits on this side of the forum, which is what I was thinking about.

Agreed, too, about the sense of humour; Kanye certainly brings overseriousness to the task in equal proportion to his devotion.

That's basically how I would have described the Yeezy brand, with the addition of "underwear as pants." :hide:

Not overly relevant, I spose, but my one Oliver Spencer purchase was a blazer in a cool speckled blue wool tweed, and it has something wonky with the construction of one shoulder, so it creases strangely when I wear it, which I've never experienced with any other blazer. Unfortunately when I first tried it on I thought that was just a function of having been shipped across the Atlantic tightly folded, so it didn't occur to me to keep the tags on until it was proven one way or the other ... no such luck.

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

It would be interesting. Would read.

Getting oversized right is all in the execution, which is easier said than done (and which is the same for pretty much everything around here). Well-executed oversized fits look great. They can have drama, drape and interest that fitted clothing does not.

Poorly-executed oversized fits -- usually featuring clothing that isn't intended to be worn oversized - are a mess.

I have struggled to get oversized jackets right for myself (other than one Rick coat I have, which is fitted in the arms and shoulder but full in the body), but have been experimenting with fuller fit pants with some success. It can be done.

7. toothsomesound

k, working on it...although this will be less of a how to guide I think, and more of a repository of fun images. i guess if people have questions about how to wear stuff in these styles i'd be more than happy to give advice as im sure other dudes who have explored this realm will.

in the interest of demonstrating more of my personal taste and exposing the forum to stuff they might otherwise ignore i think the thread will also encompass some other stuff aside from just oversized clothes.

@goldentribe ok I get your perspective man. i just find it super boring to just be interested in nice clothes in a kind of garment to garment specific vacuum. but this is also more than a hobby for me so yeah.

8. Grintricha

Grintricha Senior member

He he i'll get told off if i buy more coats

However if it was a bit reddier, a bit more chestnut and either suede or a nice rough waxed canvas, maybe a bit like the 3sixteen stadium jacket i probably could not control myself

I also don't get the oversized thing, but then i'm over 40 and there's an ever increasing number of things that i don't get

9. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I'll just add to the record that I met Shah last night and his Yohji garb looked really natural IRL

10. DLester

DLester Senior member

No surprise - Shah is an old pro.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Young Asians. In Roden Gray's (www.rodengray.com) Vancouver storefront. there is a big "Thome Browne." sign on one side, and a bit "Givenchy" on the other. I asked, point blank, why this was, and was told bluntly "Oh, it's because those are out best sellers, mostly Asian dudes with some money to spend.

I just went to look at the collection just to see what the fuss was all about, and I find that it's all a lot about nothing. Kanye is like the Micah Cohen ("Shades of Grey") of street goth fashion, except that Micah seems like a genuinely humble guy who knows what he is doing, and Kanye has slightly grander ideas about himself.

It's what happens when you legitimately democratize fashion. VFiles is nothing. It's a blip that some rich dicks in NYC (and Styleforum) will get all hot and bothered about. That's it. The real democratization of fashion are online MTM shirtmakers with 1000 different plaid patterns. It's Michael Bastian and Todd Snyder and Tumblrs with fit dudes and chicks in fashionable activewear overlooking Outlook Pass. It's Nike Sportswear and Lululemon. It's etsy. The barrier for entry both on designer side and the consumer side becoming zero, you end up with some good stuff, but you also end up with a lot of not terrible, but terrible boring, stuff. With Suzy Menkes' black clad gatekeepers gone, or just (and let's say this part in hushed whispers), "irrelevant", you get fashion that is described by proponents as "high wearable and versatile" and by critics as "boring" and "just clothes."

Go to a Blue Bottle Coffee in San Francisco at about 8 a.m., when all the bro-sters (that is the best way to describe hipsters whose dream is to create the next "disruptive technology" instead of the world's best artisanal pickle) are getting the pour over coffee and waiting 15 minutes to order, than another 15 to get some cauliflower and eggs on toast, and you'll see. You are not going to pitch your awesome startup to Y-Combinator in Rick Owens, but yes, you can pitch it in a fresh flannel from and some slim chinos - cropped just high enough that people know that it's on purpose, matched with a clean side part and a nice smile. The cauliflower with the eggs on toast is pretty good, but not $9 good. I am generally completely done my coffee by the time it's ready.

12. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Now I'm wondering how a pitch would go if the startup team were decked out completely in austere Rick suiting

"This parking app is serious business. We at Parkly do not joke about parking"

13. toothsomesound

^ once again I agree with all foks points 'cept the vfiles thing hehe..but I could be wrong about that.

to add to that list..suitsupply, ecole, start ups that send people boxes of random contemporary fashion etc...but also I think things like
    https://instagram.com/p/7xuSyiglR1/?taken-by=davidcasavant (Travis Scott wearing vintage Raf in his new music video; Alicia Keys wearing vintage Raf to the VMAs etc). sure celebrities have always been fashion muses and icons, but the way it is happening now I think is pretty different.

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I feel like "blip-sters" or "app-sters" would be more appropriate terms.

I'm all for the bro-ification of fashion. I'll inevitably have to interact with bros in the real world, so at least I'll have something to talk with them about. The bro-ification of craft beer has already made me more comfortable around bros. It's way easier to bro out with a bunch of bros when you can steer the conversation toward something other than Dane Cook, the NFL draft, and X-Box.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I usually can talk about the NBA, MMA, training regimes/lifting/crossfit, girls you would or would not hit, and American Ninja Warrior (which is awesome.) And for the tech douche bros who like the finer things and like you to know, premier lounges in airports and whiskey.