Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^Very much agree, and its nice to see atleast some critical insiders. This celebrity worship is insane.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

:brick:

Can someone explain the pricing? Are these special materials/production techniques or is it just to sell to rappers and chinese aparatchik's sons?

3. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

eat basashi and drink shochu

http://www.styleforum.net/t/192178/one-week-trip-to-japan/0_50

http://www.styleforum.net/t/332162/travel-to-japan-reco/0_50

http://www.styleforum.net/t/355603/new-japan-travel-thread/0_50

with numerous guests appearances by impolyt_one

4. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Pretty funny that Seth Meyers and Michael Stipe were in attendance at Kanye's show.

As for the clothes, they are pretty meh. I don't think the show would have gotten any buzz if it wasn't designed by him. At the same time though, nothing is that offensive and I don't feel the need to get worked up about it. Hence, meh.

Only thing that bugs me is that he wears his influences on his sleeve. He's obviously a fan of Raf, Helmut, Haider and like that's cool and all but what good does straight copying them do? Atleast he dropped the bulletproof vests this season.

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Man what in the hell are you talking about

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Responding to Kanye's work is complicated because he's pre-empted criticism by framing himself as an outsider who despite his passion and talent has been repeatedly denied access to fashion design circles. So being knee-jerk critical "how dare he who does he think he is" plays into the real truth that fashion is mostly a closed and not-particularly-diverse world.

And let's be honest 90% (more?) of fashion "criticism" is arbitrary BS--not to say there's no such thing as legitimately good or bad or interesting or boring design, but most of the praise or criticism of Kanye's work has very little to do with Kanye's work and a lot to do with his methods and place in the fashion/pop culture/press solar system.

7. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I actually don't think it's that bad apart from the spanx stuff. In fact I actually think people here would like it if it were a noname designer. It's not really that much more Raf derivative than anything else these days (and probably less so than a brand like Komakino which basically just exists as Raf homage). I'd rather have this in the public conscious a thousand times over fucking Todd Snyder or Michael Kors or Michael Bastian.

8. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

Legitimacy ruined by avatar.

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

I am leaning toward the latter option.

All the Givenchy tees I've ever seen have been 100% cotton jersey, and apart from one or two examples they seem to be constructed conventionally i.e. "cost-effectively." (There was a t-shirt from the Birds of Paradise collection, circa ss12, that had printed shoulders, and the sleeves were extensions of the same fabric panel as the body so there were no shoulder seams at the top, allowing the print to align better than it would over a seam, which was neat.)

Meanwhile Margiela cashmere-blend tees are $335 CAD, Our Legacy and other brands are doing all kinds of neat fabrications for less than $100 a pop (e.g. @Ragechester's last WAYWT), and even CKC toward the more expensive end of things charged $695 for a pure silk thick-knit tee this past summer, which is less than most of Givenchy's tees.

I'm no great fan of Michael Bastian, but his label has produced plenty of nice button-ups and thick cashmere sweaters. For a while his clothes were made by Cucinelli, so if they're too cliché/preppy/boring for you, that's one thing, but the fabrication is/was beyond reproach. I don't see the point in comparing a full wardrobe of well-made items to nude bodysuits and plain pullover hoodies.

I do dislike Kors almost as much as West, though, and I don't even know what Todd Snyder clothes/designs look like.

10. toothsomesound

@fistinyoface haha I totally forgot about that. it's true that I'm a fan of his persona and his music...do I think he's a good fashion designer? Not at all. But again, I like the ideas in this collection more than I like the ideas behind Todd Snyder et al. I guess you could try to argue that he's just 'parroting' or rehashing other stuff but I again, not the worst stuff to be rehashing.

11. toothsomesound

@goldentribe there is an endless quantity of 'nice' clothing in the world. I like fashion to at least try to say something, what Michael Bastian says is of no interest to me and is frankly pretty gross.

the kanye collection has some kind of fun outerwear pieces; kind of like Geller x Raf with a different application of textiles...

12. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Recently got a pair of LUC pants, but the hem is too wide for me at 7.25", and they're also too long. Should I hem to maintain the straight cut, taper for dem stackz, or both? Grazie~

13. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Eh, just hating on ill-fitting clothes. But I guess there's a market for sloppy, so who am I to judge?

14. toothsomesound

^ it's increasingly rare to hear this perspective but I'd love to understand; what do you think makes clothes that fit closer to the body inherently better or more preferable to those that don't?

15. fistinyoface

fistinyoface Senior member

If they're size 46, then you can sell them to me. But really, depending on the model, a lot of LUC pants are cut to anti-fit. You'd be better off selling them and picking up a different pair if you want the slim fit - curved inseam cut and certain models of J-pants are best for a it ime.