Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Did I say anything about CE? Yes, yes I did. Let's move any additional gender politics talk there. It's certainly topical. And yes, there will be opposition, but imo, talking to likeminded individuals, rather than having to stand and deliver against a sometimes hostile crowd, forces you to be able to articulate and defend your a priori assumptions, often without even the prop of accepted common language. To me, a really great way to hone yourself intellectually. I find this done in academia far too seldom, and it leads to poor presentations when you end up in a hostile crowd - this coming from someone who did a fair bit of work involving global climate change and having to present to some very mixed audiences.

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I dunno man, discussions like this are only worthwhile + enjoyable if the participants are bigger fans of reasoning than they are of rhetoric built on shaky assumptions. way too much of the latter when the internet starts to talk gender.

Plus the last thing anyone posted here today that wasn't about gender was my post on Rag & Bone three hours ago, and come on you know that's not as fun as swimming in gender fluid.

3. worakl

worakl Senior member

I went into CE the other day after not having been there in a couple of years. I quickly remembered why. The entire 20 minutes was me looking like this:

[​IMG]

4. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

Heading to Japan for 2 weeks this Saturday (Staying with gf's family in Ofuna for most of it, and taking day trips to Tokyo most days, with a little side trip to Kyoto and Nara for a few days away from them.

If anybody has something must-see or do that they know is going on in the next 2 weeks, please let me know! This also goes for just hanging out and eating/drinking/doing whatever - we're very open to it. Also anything good in general that I can't miss, regardless of if is seasonal or not.

It will also be my girlfriend's birthday while we're there, so I'm open to any suggestions of something I can do to make that more interesting or special (not being lazy - I've got ideas and some plans, but always open to new ones)

Clothing-wise, I've also got a few appointments while I'm there including Niche. and Frank Leder, (he'll be in town himself as well), so I'll try to snap some cool pics of that if I can.

5. Bam!ChairDance

You should recreate Nicely's priest outfit from his meetup with synthese

6. LA Guy

I think that trials by fire are good for you. If you are facing rhetoric build on shaky assumptions, dismantle that edifice. What I really dislike is people retreating into their safe little cocoons where everyone sort of agrees with you, or at very least, where your views are a majority view. I see this for all types of issues, so that the debate or discussion becomes either choruses of "Hear, hear" or are merely arguments about minutiae.

That's good though. Do not be afraid to get your hands dirty and engage in hand to hand combat. No one gets good at fighting unless they fight.

7. LA Guy

Ask frank if he has any of that the basketweave black/blue scarf from FW14 lying around, or knows of any stockist that needs to get rid of that deadstock (0).

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Where IS Brad-T?

9. Bam!ChairDance

Of course this is something an SJW would say. That's what I get for dipping my nose in Styleforum's politically correct culture. Why is everyone ignoring reality? There are two genders. Men. Women. It's simple.

10. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

and Sonic

[​IMG]

11. coolron

coolron Senior member

Will there be a Trashlord Japan edition?

12. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

ooohh...dat rag&bone is so deliciously ivy

13. trafficjam

trafficjam Senior member

when you talk to the Niche. folks, any chance you'll be able to get some hands on Old Park or Harapos Reales gear?

14. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Even with my degree in philosophy, I can't quite understand that there is a substantive debate here.

Of course, I never really studied Focault...

But I have studied slouchy-shoulder jackets. As I always say, see Transit Uomo. Great ones for sale at a steal on C21.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  15. Bam!ChairDance

Ooh, good find. How does Transit sizing run?