Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

@Noob Gotcha. IIRC the scientific consensus is sexuality is involuntary, but honestly, sooo much of our sexuality is filtered through arbitrary cultural codes that to look at it as purely biological and immutable also rings false. The idea, for example, that sexuality must constitute our identity is purely cultural (I'm sure you've read Foucault)

edit: lol just saw fok's post

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

It's a "logical" extension of the original idea (which breaks down under more careful examination, but who has time for that?). I heard a lot of this back in Houston which as far as Texas goes is straight up blue.

3. nicelynice

nicelynice Senior member

Email me back when I can wear my Rick skirts to the office

4. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

[​IMG]

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you work for us, apparently you can wear them also when traveling on assignment, in "client facing" positions, or at least that's what @Synthese has told me he does.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I may actually do that same, for travel to Paris fashion week. We scored business class for the same price as economy from our travel sponsor (www.mytravalet.com - shoutout), and it's always fun to fuck around when you are around a bunch of bougie people.

7. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

My fishtail magically showed up at my doorstep today. Now if only my AC was fixed...

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

It's pretty much an automated process (at least in the UK - site rules vary a bit). It relies on sellers following ebay's procedures properly, using their unpaid item reminders etc. which results in a flag being put on the buyer's account. Too many flags results in a ban. The main problem is a lot of sellers ignore the procedures meaning no flags get set.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm still planning on checking out the SFxSF meet-up tomorrow. I forgot I have a late meeting tomorrow, so won't be there until about 8. Anyone still game? It's not quite leather weather. Maybe ratty tee and gym shorts! hah. Or if it's (pray) raining, a rain coat.

@13k
    @nineohtoo
    @cyc wid it

any other SFers?

10. 13k

13k Senior member

I forgot I have a conference to attend (Not Dreamforce) till around 9. I'll try to swing by on my way home. Unfortunately I have to present so I'll be in mostly bus casual and will leave the 5 zip at home.

Alternatively we should gather the SF sw&d crew for a local meetup soon!

11. Bam!ChairDance

Rag & Bone has some cool slouchy blazers this season in flannel and moleskin fabrics. I don't really follow the brand anymore, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  12. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

The lead singer of Lower Dens considers herself "gender fluid", which isn't really the same thing but gets at a similar idea of an identity that doesn't line up with traditional cis- or transgender norms. Please note that I use the feminine pronoun "herself" only as a reflection of genetic / biological status and because I can't remember what the gender-neutral pronouns are all of a sudden.

Also, the most recent Lower Dens album is really great.

13. Bam!ChairDance

gender fluid is what oozes out when we stab gender norms right in the heart

14. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I think that sexuality can be fluid is a better statement than it is fluid. I think a lot of more liberal individuals have that experience of their sexuality and try to then assume that that is also the case or could be the case for every individual "if they would loosen up" so to speak.

I think that is a myth and looking at the margins of sexuality at things like the paraphilias and the attempts to cure them shows that.

Also I love Foucault as a devils advocate for thought and investigating ideas but the dudes structuralism is to strong

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I don't think there are any universally accepted gender-neutral pronouns which is a real pain. I tried to get away with a singular 'they' in a report once and had to go back and do the awkward his/her instead. The few transgender young people I've worked with didn't have a problem with an initial wrongly used he or she and only had a problem where people who had been corrected continued to use the wrong pronoun.