Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Stop it, videogame industry.

[​IMG]

2. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

Theoretically, but there's not much repercussion if they don't, since feedback on the buyer side is pretty meaningless.

3. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

Lots of overhyped overpriced military/tech inspired collections coming out this week... Yeezy2, Acronym...

Kinda interested to see Greg Laurens presentation, which also falls into the above category but whatever. Anyone know of anything worthwhile being shown this week?

4. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Ahhh I remember those mid-2000s days of raiding the women's denim section, even though I wasn't cool enough to participate.

Thing is, though, that slipping into women's jeans wasn't really an individual act of transgression, and men weren't wearing the jeans simply because they liked the fit. The broader "emo scene" gave legitimacy to that particular form of gender bending and basically permitted men to cross gender lines without fearing the sort of ridicule they'd receive without the legitimizing effects the subculture offered them (not to say they were totally immune from ridicule).

I liked that you brought up athleisure, because now that I'm thinking about it, athleisure seems to have the sort of "permission-granting" effect that Emo did a decade ago. The unstructred shapes and drapey fabrics of athletic-inspired clothing allow for a look that is neither conventionally masculine nor feminine, so crossing into the women's section to achieve that look wouldn't carry the same transgressive implications as it would if the man in question were to try on an evening dress.

In that way, I have a hard time reading the "No Gender" section as an exercise in cynicism. It's not unreasonable to read it as an astute observation of a widespread trend and the use of curation (sorry Synthese) to cater to that trend in an earnest way.

You're right that they may not be breaking down barriers-- as I said above, athleisure may just be giving men permission to cross barriers rather than break them down completely. But I dunno, this feels bigger than men-wearing-women's-jeans. It feels like more people in general are questioning conventionally-held ideas about gender, a conversation that's been amplified by the heightened visibility of trans folk, not to mention the increasingly mainstream discussion of social topics that not too long ago were reserved for the academy. The Corner's new section feels like a baby step toward a pretty great direction.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Man, I read that whole post looking for the joke like the toy in the cereal box, and didn't find it. :plain:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

6. Bam!ChairDance

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

they dont pay a fine or anything? just negative feedback?

8. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior member

lol at people thinking trans = genderless/androgynous

9. Bam!ChairDance

hmmm no one here has actually written that.

some trans people do consider themselves agender, though.

10. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

I don't think ebay ever does fines, but I don't think they can compel a buyer to pay if no money has been exchanged yet. And generally speaking, they come down on the buyer's side in most disputes, so I doubt they'd intervene further. Maybe if someone did the same thing over and over they might ban them, but that'd also require someone connecting the dots and ebay doesn't really seem to do a lot of research when a dispute comes up.

11. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

it takes a lot of complaints for a buyer to get banned on eBay

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

Because nothing says 'pushing the boundaries' like rebranding what sure as hell looks like a 100% menswear selection into an experience in gender bending.

The only thing this accomplishes is giving thecorner more exposure and a better sell through, just good old opportunism at work and a smart business move no doubt.

13. tjonesd2

tjonesd2 Senior member

Yeah I misinterpreted. Also spoke too soon, apparently agender is trans. IDK that, I've never me an agender person before. That said, the extra section on Corner is fucking stupid, but whatever.

14. Bam!ChairDance

@sipang yeah, it could use more overtly 'feminine' pieces. Lots of stores and designers think that "unisex" means erasing femininity, and while that's not toootally happening here, they could still make it a little more challenging. Still not buying that it's all cynicism, though. Profit motive doesn't mean they don't believe in their cause or that it's not a worthwhile part of whatever the broader gender conversation is.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ebay has tons of buyers, and a lot of their revenue comes from seller fees, so... no real surprise there. When the balance shifts to demand side, then you'll see change.