Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I found the name of the ' YY Pour Homme' line in a gender neutral section interesting...

3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I heard about that! It's really interesting to see how designers/stores approach unisex clothing, how they decide which aspects of masculinity and femininity to keep, which to erase.

I'd say the most common approach is minimalism, but honestly? If we really want to challenge the idea of gender, we should be dressing dudes in gear usually seen as "feminine", because that's what causes the most visceral shock. Drape men in dresses and tunics until it's no longer weird.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

PSA : is there anyone in the SF Bay area who would be interested in and have time to help me out with a small trunk show there on Oct 23 & 24?

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Well that's an interesting way to put "unisex"

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Lots of women famously wore Dior Homme back in the Slimane era (to the point where they made a women's line copying it in extra-small sizes), and even back in high school (where there were no only openly gay students whatsoever at the time) I knew slim guys who bought girls' jeans because then men's denim was all wide-leg and high-rise enough for Ice Cube to wear in a rap video. The way I see it, when clothes exist, people who like them have always bought them regardless of the conventional gender dichotomy.

Consequently this smacks a bit of gimmickry and commercial diversification rather than novelty and sincerity to me, at least as it's currently being presented by these vendors; I've been more impressed by and interested in wares from Peir Wu (is Peir officially unisex?). At some level men and women benefit from having differently cut pants and shirts among other things, IMHO, so it's not surprising that The Corner's section consists of loose-fitting "athleisure" bottoms and drapey tops that evade the issue even though they were probably designed separately for men or for women (attested to by MOK's point about YYPH) and then stuck together by an in-house editor. That belted Lee Roach tunic-vest is kind of neat, but in neon orange and with that neckline it reads as "womenswear" not "unisex" to me, and if I were prepared to buy it from the Agender Store, then absent a nominally genderless selection I don't think having to find it in a Women's section would stop me from procuring it.

If this somehow makes it easier for trans people to shop (for $300 sweatshirts...), then good on the Corner, but I can't help but doubt that "breaking down barriers" is really the essential intention or the likely effect.

Acne's "radical feminist" patch sweater should say "I shot Andy Warhol" on the back. :stirpot:

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You needs a specific body type to wear most of the stuff on the corner, with that said I would wear the shit out of Celine Ponyhair loafers.

9. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

The film thread is on page 230482356 by now, so:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. worakl

worakl Senior member

Bill Murray as Baloo with full music rights is gonna be 10/10.

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Lacks Louis Prima :(

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

I asked a non-paying auction winner on ebay why they would not pay for the item they won and got the following response:

"I only bided once on this item and it's not at my fault no one else bided. .. I had already purchased another bid and I'm not paying for this one... "

I hate selling online.

13. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

You should have more respect when speaking to Vice President Joe Bided

14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

i thought they were required to pay if they bid?

15. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Oh man I love this shit, probably my favorite section/curation in a clothing store ever (and yes, the Lucio Vanotti...that camel robe will be a grail for me)
    Not even joking, they style pretty much every single piece I like almost exactly how I'd wear it.
    Can't wait til I graduate, get a job and actually can afford to buy all this shit.

Speaking of, if anyone's interested in my black COS coat in sz 46 (it's the one with the technical vest/inner layer) do pm me, looking at another coat and need some funds.