• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monitaly to a certain extent?
I thought about that, and both labels have some whimsy to them, but Visvim has very little of the deliberate awkwardness that I've seen in a lot of Yuki's pieces.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think what Vfiles does is a kind of democratization. Obviously between you (Sip) me and Fok we all have fairly different perspectives on this. I was writing something very long and rambling about this that probably would be saying nothing new to you but to be succinct, I think the Vfiles tribe is bigger, less exclusionary and probably more ready to spend than the SF SW&D active poster circle. I would also defend any of the brands I mentioned from a design standpoint. obviously the store carries a lot of other stuff that I think is silly or gross. But that's part of what it's about.
The entire Vfiles scene reminds me of the movie Party Monster, which in turn reminds me of LA and NYC in the early 2000s, when the club kid scene was super strong (I'm too old, and have no idea what it is like now).

I think that if any platform is "democratizing", it's got to be etsy, which hopefully, can move beyond looking like a crafts fair in Portland.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monitaly to a certain extent?
Actually, yea, maybe Monitaly - I take back by other comment. I feel that Visvim is less "muddy" though. Fewer earth tones, use of a much brighter, less muted palette.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Mannn always loved the Margiela Painted Jeans but if its anything like the bull coating of a couple years back it will be like wearing a sweat box down here

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Why is it scorned? I thought it was beloved?

I have yet to see anything decent said about the place on SF other than posts from me (the primary flag waiver, oddly) and MSG.

Count me as a fan. They usually have one or two Margiela pieces that I don't see anywhere else. It is actually second on my list of preferred stores in my bookmarks (second only to Farfecth).

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^no, I think democratizing fashion is both the business/supply side of fashion and the fickleness of the consumer. Don't make the mistake of thinking that stuff like Jil Sander and Frank Leder or even Patrik Ervell actually succeeds consistently at the retail level.

I do think what Vfiles does is a kind of democratization. Obviously between you (Sip) me and Fok we all have fairly different perspectives on this. I was writing something very long and rambling about this that probably would be saying nothing new to you but to be succinct, I think the Vfiles tribe is bigger, less exclusionary and probably more ready to spend than the SF SW&D active poster circle. I would also defend any of the brands I mentioned from a design standpoint. obviously the store carries a lot of other stuff that I think is silly or gross. But that's part of what it's about.

Can the young brands it launches escape from the atmosphere of Vfiles planet? I think that still remains to be seen but I'm optimistic about it; if you look closely you will notice that they are doing more and more subtle and sophisticated things that could appeal to users on this forum (see Wil Fry or Xander Zhou).
Yeah I could see SF digging Wil Fry

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? Doesn't he just make super generic "layering" pieces? I haven't looked at anything new in a year or so but all I remember is double layered shorts and long tanks.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality basics with slightly edgy shapes and a sprinkle of exclusivity = general SF user catnip. Look at the John Elliot thread. I'm not saying Sipang, Fuuma, and Shah (the SF taste triumvirate) would buy, but still.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4pins retweeted my sneaker joke.

I'm now getting follower requests from a ton of 16 year olds.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quality basics with slightly edgy shapes and a sprinkle of exclusivity = general SF user catnip. Look at the John Elliot thread. I'm not saying Sipang, Fuuma, and Shah (the SF taste triumvirate) would buy, but still.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm picturing. I really didn't think John Elliott was really revered here. Obviously I like JE and there's a few other regulars in there (cyc, msg) but for the most part that thread is a bunch of people from nike talk and KTT.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wtf.  How does a huge company apparently full of knowledgeable people call this a "bomber"? http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/officine_generale/bary-leather-bomber-jacket/547964

They also continuously demonstrate they don't understand the descriptive words they are using (see the constant abuse of "tactile" and "louche"); and starting this season, they are using "shell" as a synonym for "nylon" in any and every context, which sounds absurd, e.g. "Down-Filled Quilted Shell Gilet"; "Houndstooth Felt and Shell Backpack."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads