Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Visvim is pretty unique in what it does.

Blue Blue Japan is not very much like Visvim either - I suppose that some elements are similar, but it's really much more based around Indigo. And honestly, though it's cheaper, it is actually considerably better in those categories in which it specializes. If you want a sashiko jacket, or some indigo dyed coat, I would advise Blue Blue Japan over Visvim, regardless of the price. That said, Visvim has a broader range of products, and a very distinctive, southwestern USA by way of Japan feel that I don't think I've seen executed in the same way, anywhere else.

I guess, save up, or trawl Rakuten. The yen is so low right now, that you can make out like a bandit.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I wanna wear a Sanjuro to work.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. sipang

sipang Senior member

Is it really about democratization though ? You're best placed to talk about this but is the industry really that stodgy ? I mean, weirdo party kids fashion is nothing new and, if anything, from an admittedly cursory browse this slew of emerging designers (not specifically talking about VFiles but it's pretty representative) seems to solidify the status quo more than anything else. Imo there's very little there that feels refreshing or indeed designed by a real human being and not by algorithms fed with trend reports and tumblr dashboards. Might be that they just need to mature and that they'll eventually find their voice but then you gotta wonder if putting them in the spotlight right now is actually helping.

None of that stuff really appeals to me so maybe I'm being overly dismissive. Maybe that shit flies right over my head.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

[​IMG]

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

it's not democratization at all. It's just FUBU for affluent kids who move within some very specific, self-selected and highly exclusionary, circles. Even the different "styles" in VFiles don't even belong to different tribes, they just play different roles within that tribe.

7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Ah, thank you for the information. Maybe you could assist in this too, other brands that have the southwester USA vibe like VIvism. I suppose some RRL pieces.

8. chupas

chupas Senior member

Seems like everyone wants to democratize fashion until they come up against either a) the business of the supply side of fashion or b) the fickleness of the consumer (or both).

I mean shit if you believe Kanye he got into making clothes so that south side kids could participate in fashion and the discourse of fashion, and here we are 8 months later and he's hocking $3,000 sweaters.

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

^no, I think democratizing fashion is both the business/supply side of fashion and the fickleness of the consumer. Don't make the mistake of thinking that stuff like Jil Sander and Frank Leder or even Patrik Ervell actually succeeds consistently at the retail level.

I do think what Vfiles does is a kind of democratization. Obviously between you (Sip) me and Fok we all have fairly different perspectives on this. I was writing something very long and rambling about this that probably would be saying nothing new to you but to be succinct, I think the Vfiles tribe is bigger, less exclusionary and probably more ready to spend than the SF SW&D active poster circle. I would also defend any of the brands I mentioned from a design standpoint. obviously the store carries a lot of other stuff that I think is silly or gross. But that's part of what it's about.

Can the young brands it launches escape from the atmosphere of Vfiles planet? I think that still remains to be seen but I'm optimistic about it; if you look closely you will notice that they are doing more and more subtle and sophisticated things that could appeal to users on this forum (see Wil Fry or Xander Zhou).

10. msg

msg Senior member

Kanye is a big believer in Ronnie Reagan's trickle down economics, except it's trickle down sweaters

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Monitaly to a certain extent?

12. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

I was actually just looking at some of their stuff earlier today. Thought this coat was pretty cool.

[​IMG]

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

So uhh did Totoakelo drop 08 Sircus? (0).

14. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

you're neither overly dismissive nor are you missing anything -- it's not some esoteric discipline after all. a hyper-saturated and increasingly incestuous industry has no room for growth of anything other than that which with immediacy can capture the fickle attention. which leads to bemoaning the loss of the golden age (fallacy or not , who knows) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/10/fashion/new-york-fashion-week-when-fashion-shows-were-fun.html

incidentally i've been searching for a particular show from 1986 and I rediscovered the corporate priestess archives that has some entertaining ones. the audience is actually engaged to some degree rather than buried thumbs deep in instagram or whatever https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3uCYbx61UwUSC9U6Ot5APQ

15. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

I could have sworn i saw some items when I went several weeks ago.