1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. accordion

accordion Distinguished Member

I've only gone there for EG cuz they always have the most buys. Rest seems similar to Haven which I like a lot and more so now that CAD is almost worthless. I guess want a shop with a small selection but has good enough buys and presentation that I feel comfortable trying out new things. For example when SP got new stuff last season I was pretty excited.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015

2. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior Member

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

I can't get the lyrics to 'Africa' out of my head.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

people only like it because it's trendy and the concept is so absurd that it becomes popular...of course there are good places depending what exactly you're looking for, but city bakery is relaly good, sullivan st bakery, banana pudding abilly's bakery.

5. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

This feels like a SZ conversation...
    I like Totokaelo, one of my favourite shops (online).

6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Distinguished Member

clothing is like dating in so many ways.

i just found myself pining for a jacket I sold like two years ago, but then I realized I parted with that jacket for a reason, and if I were to have it back in my life, it would be unsatisfying for the same reasons it was two years ago. yeah.

7. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Distinguished Member

I went to the brooklyn museum sneaker exhibit. it was pretty cool.

At the end they asked you to say what your sneaker story was

[​IMG]

8. gong

gong Senior Member

seems to me like some of you are expecting way, way too much out of a clothing store. a journey? for buying a couple shirts and pants? idk man.

9. Mulan

Mulan Distinguished Member

I think it applies more for the older guys here who want to explore the store as part of the buying experience. Don't we all do that when browsing the different aisles at grocery stores? I kinda get that, it's just a matter of me not caring as much because once my eyes are set on finding a certain item, that's all that matters. Fok has mentioned before, making a comparison to old music shops where you could just walk in and discover new songs and artist.

10. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Distinguished Member

totokaelo discussion here is absolutely hilarious. LAGuy gets a pass for being a curmudgeonly industry vet (though I'm fairly certain he hasn't been to Steven Alan or Totokaelo lately) but the rest of you guys are talking right out of your asses. Dudes who have never seen common projects in person would shit their pants at the window of a store like Totokaelo. it's a beautiful store, you can say it's boring because it's not taking enough risks all you want but it is a fashion destination full of beautiful covetable clothes. there aren't many of those. that alone makes it extremely relevant and worthy. and comparing it to barney's is ridiculous; barney's is a massive department store and a terrible place to shop, and the buys there are embarrassing.

now, will it be successful in NYC? Hard to say but I think probably not; almost nothing is successful here anymore. The NY store is more of a marketing/strategy ploy than anything else. My suspicion is that she could very well get Band of Outsider'sd if she's taken on all of this crazy investor money to do this expansion..

Hilariously as I'm writing this Jill and Philip are in my showroom...

but actually LA Guy I've not been to The Bureau but the lineup there is no more impressive to me than Totoakaelo. It's literally Unionmade x Gentry.

11. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

I really wouldn't say it's trendy at all. After 7 years and 5 locations it's just part of the landscape now, and I think something that is familiar to most. It's a massive machine that churns out tons and tons of stuff daily, with none of it being particularly outlandish or novel, especially in 2015. It's not quite lowest common denominator Mrs. Fields or whatever, but you still see many of the same things and flavor profiles at a lot of other cafes and bakeries, from the cake balls to compost cookies and whatnot

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

*liked
    it's was and still is awful

south willard is a good store, it's pretty unassuming. justoneeye is really good, it's like a museum almost.

13. GraphicNovelty

My gf's bestie is still dating the dude she met at the last trunk show (friend of a MC'er).

14. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

It just depends on what you're looking for, really. There is absolutely no subtlety to anything at Milk bar, so it's not the place if you want a refined dessert. It's just snack foods and desserts in a maximalist style, but I think it's honest about that.

While I'll admit that the ingredient changes a few years back in the cookies made for a huge downgrade (I'm looking at you Corn Cookie, and your huge decrease in butter but increase in sugar), I'm obviously still a milk bar apologist and will pop in to sate the same exact craving that I would with a King Kone from the bodega or a bag of hot cheetos. It's all in the same boat, and to think of it otherwise is a bit silly

15. GraphicNovelty

I've made a bunch of milk bar stuff out of their book. It's beauty is you don't need too much of it because it's so maximalist but it totally blows my tastebuds out.

Just unpacked into a new place and i got the flour cookbook. Gonna try a few of those recipes too.