Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Same here. Start a podcast and have Waze calculate my route to work/home and I'm good to go. There's something comforting about using an app like Waze during the morning or evening commute. I can rest assured that I am taking the most efficient route. If I do get caught up in some sort of traffic jam that there was nothing that I could have done about it by taking another route.

My methodology was constructed post having first child where the value of all free time increases exponentially. The methodology considers all time not at work the same (including sleeping). So in a sense, I am charging myself $15/hr. for sleep.

4. Bam!ChairDance

Duude, that interviewer didn't ask any follow-up questions at all. Like, what is the "bro-ification of menswear?" What would Patrik say is the importance of uniforms?

But I really liked his points about the ways the internet has changed runway shows and garment design. Did the internet kill nuance? I s'pose one of the biggest changes from b&m shopping to webstores is the retailer now has nearly total control over the appearance of the product. The clothes now depend on the retailer's photography just to be visible at all. But on the other hand, product photography has gotten really good over the last few years-- if Patrik wanted to design something really subtle, I have a feeling he'd get away with it.

5. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

@Bam!ChairDance this strikes me as one of those "fill-in-the-blanks" interviews lazy journalists do.

Maybe this is just because I tend to view clothes from a product design lens much more so than from an art lens, but I really find it hard to appreciate statements like this:

...when it results in clothing that I find awful (I really didn't enjoy this latest season).

Sure, the underlying philosophy that drives Ervell's design direction is interesting. But if it results in what (to me) is ugly and unwearable clothing, I really couldn't care any less about any of that. To me, fashion is interesting and distinct from art because regardless of how freewheeling your designs are, practicality is fundamentally inseparable from fashion -- clothes, after all, are ultimately meant to be worn. While I find something like http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2016-ready-to-wear/vfiles/slideshow/collection#37 (NSFW) interesting, it strikes me as "art in the form of clothing" rather than fashion, if that makes any sense.

Of course, all this is my personal view and isn't meant to be prescriptive in any way. Additionally, the above distinction is much less of a dichotomous split and more of a spectrum in my eyes. I think everyone has an internal cutoff point where they think "okay, this isn't clothes any more, it's art masquerading as clothes," and my cutoff point may be more conservative than that of others.

Enjoyed the rest of the interview, though.

6. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

I swear Vfiles' slogan used to be "weirdo fashion for fashion obsessed weirdos," I think? Something like that. It used to be on their website, or maybe the title heading for their instagram for a while. Whatever it was it was pretty spot on.

7. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

V files has just always been about party kids and clothes for party kids, no?

8. sipang

sipang Senior member

Sadly that quote applies much better to what Ervell did around 2009-2010 when he was still interesting. And he did find that sweet spot between high romance and practicality. But there's very little of that left in the more recent stuff which strikes as painfully practical and unimaginative above all (unwearable works too).

VFiles is of course a steaming pile of confused trash.

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I think this is precisely the problem Patrik's getting at. He does design a lot of really subtle stuff, and while some of it is sort of visible in the webstore closeups, a lot of it just doesn't come across and really can't unless the stuff is in your hands.

The flip side of this is that perhaps it's not actually a matter of these things being visible on a screen, which sometimes they aren sometimes they aren't so much; but a matter of the customer actually appreciating something like, to paraphrase from another part of the interview, the play between two different tones of navy next to one another etc. I would venture to guess that this kind of stuff is lost on a lot of people who are buying things online.

10. Bam!ChairDance

Yeah, I feel you. On the other hand, some stores really nail their photography to the point where, when I finally receive the product and remove it from the packaging, I get this weird uncanny valley feeling where I'm staring at something that looks exactly like the webstore photo but it's, you know, real life.

The tactile aspect is, of course, impossible to replicate online. Maybe Patrik could mail fabrik swatches to interested customers free of charge? Dunno.

11. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

bam that's not a bad idea...how would that work though? like, click here to receive a free swatch? great idea in theory, would require a lot of legwork though. wonder what the roi would be. also, sometimes it's not about the self fabric but about the combinations of linings, bindings, trims etc...

also I like vfiles. it's important. not that all of it is good.

sip im curious to hear exactly what 2009-2010 pe you thought was particularly inspired vs current stuff.

12. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

This is the big one. I couldn't believe how amazing the baby alpaca pocket sweater felt when I first got it. I bought it for the look of it and then was blown away by the hand. No good way to convey that online.

13. milosh

milosh Senior member

There's no substitute really for checking out clothes in the store.

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Funny, I have never been surprised by the texture of anything I've bought online (for better or for worse); somehow I always have a pretty clear sense of what it will feel like as long as the pictures are good enough.

Not much by Ervell has ever blown me away except ss10 with that iron oxide print, and I liked some ss09 outerwear including the transparent-layered ("insect") jacket.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

That is because what is actually valued is having relatively high control over your time (not having it begotten to an outside social function where you lack control). Sure the person may eat cereals and listen to Maury but the psychological benefits are still there.