Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I do the same thing, especially when people say "oh, I saved x by goin to y, instead of z down the street".

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

It's a hell of a nice thing to be able to commute only by foot or bike from your front door. It's worth a lot more than just the time savings. There's something wonderful about walking out my front door and strolling or biking through my neighborhood to work. I get to know the place and people more, and it makes me a hell of a lot happier than sitting in a car/bus/train.

3. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Next time I'm on the metro and I see a dude slumped by the window, a forlorn expression on his face and Yeezy sweatpants on his legs, I will remember that somewhat recently he made a very hard decision.

4. DLester

DLester Senior member

A short commute is one of the greatest luxuries

5. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

I enjoy my half-hour commute by car. Gives me time to listen to tunes and daydream...

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

7. LA Guy

I move around on scooter or bike. I really like it, except for the fact that sometimes I see people and am forced to talk to them. If I wanted to talk to you, I would have arranged to meet you somewhere...

8. LA Guy

The problem with this calculation is the assumption that you'd be working or doing something productive, or even just enjoying yourself. Generally, people overvalue their time, because there is actually no opportunity time lost. e.g. "Instead of commuting an extra 30 minutes, I would have been sitting on my ass staring vacantly at something."

9. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

I used to commute by train almost an hour a day, and that was somewhat relaxing. Seeing the subtle differences in how people dressed on my morning commutes from Manhattan to Queens was a part of it. Passing by 5 Points, when it was completely tagged with graffiti top to bottom was nice too.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

10. LA Guy

Who the fuck commutes from Manhattan TO Queens?

I have taken so much public transportation in my life, and done the 1000 yard stare so often, that these days, I pretty much refuse to do it. I'll take a cab, I'll take an Uber. If it comes down to it, I will use a car service. But I think that if I never had to set foot on another bus or commuter train or subway ever again in my life, it would be quite okay with me.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

edit: whoops, misunderstood the direction

12. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

I know, it's usually the other way around, but this only lasted one summer back in high school. After arriving in Flushing, I then had to take a bus to Fresh Meadows. We have this service of vans and mini buses in the Chinese community that is so much better, but they almost never drove that far out, I think.

RFT: Female models seem to love accentuating their legs during the colder seasons. Cold mornings in TriBeca, I often see very tall women, presumably models, walk down the streets all in similar fashion. The almost uniform like outfits among them often involves one of those big cropped fur coats, arms crossed, hand bag in one hand, and the rest of them is just leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegs.

13. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

So jealous, all the women around here have just eeegggggggsss & donuts and I am not talking about breakfast.

14. LA Guy

There are a bunch of dance studios in that area, so I would wager that at least some of them are dancers. I had pretty much the same thought one cold morning, and then I saw one enter a doorway, then another, and after a bit, yet another. Went to the door, and thee was stencil of some dance studio on the door.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Not sure if there's a better place to ask this but:

Does anyone know of a good, but cheap, jewelry shop in San Francisco? I have a vintage pendant that needs a small hole punched through, and then a bale put on. Also would like to buy a decent, but cheap, silver necklace. Not looking for Shreve and Co diamond necklace or anything here. Looking for something cheap I can wear with a leather jacket I own.